Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,393 times

Advertisements

hi, my husband is the military and just got orders for hunter army field...so we will be moving somewhere around that area, we just dont know where yet....but the help i need is to know where there heck should we move to? what are the nicest, cleanest cities around that area....im pretty sure savannah is out of the question due to all the crime. but i would really love to hear about some nice cities not too far away from savannah! Please reply! Thank you!

Last edited by mrs.nestor; 08-23-2007 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Any of the Islands, anything West of Savannah Mall and North of GA 307
Or any of the Islands and west of I-95

Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,393 times
thank you so much...i keep tryin to search around on the net but i havent really found anything so THANK YOU!

Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM

227 posts, read 728,121 times
Default possibly moveing from TX to Sav also

Mrs. Nestor, we might be doing the same exact thing as you. We just arrived in San antonio a little over a month ago from NC but things aren't great at my husband's job and we have an opportunity back in Savannah but don't want to live right in Savannah either. Let's try to share info okay?

laura

Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 AM

10 posts, read 34,903 times
Hello from Savannah, We live out behind Savannah Mall off Apache Ave & there are some pretty nice apts/rentals in the area. There's an entrance to Hunter within a half mi. This immediate area is relatgrocerykively safe & really conveint to a lot of shopping, banks, grocery store,etc. Ten mis south is Richmond Hill a nice small but growing area. Right off I-95. Then there's the islands Wilmington all the way out to Tybee Beach. But those put you 12 mis plus from Hunter with pretty heavy traffic. And if bad weather you're a little more exposed. Good luck & thanks for your husband's service & your support as a military wife. Best to you & family, Andy4472

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 AM

236 posts, read 698,305 times
Hello Mrs. Nestor. I live in Ardsley Park (Midtown Savannah) and the crime isn't an issue. You can run into the wrong types anywhere so be careful about ruling out all of Savannah because you've heard crime is an issue. There are certainly parts of town you don't want to be hanging out around after dark but that's true for nearly every large city.

If you're interested in having the local Savannah scene at your fingertips I would recommend Ardsley Park, Parkside, Habersham Woods or Kensington Park. Unless you're married to the General, the Historic District is most likely out of your price range. If you're heck bent on living outside of town I would strongly recommend Richmond Hill. It's pricey but the taxes are much lower than Savannah. I would avoid Effingham County because of the traffic. I would drive to Bulloch County (Statesboro) before I'd move to Rincon. The drive would be nearly the same. I also have a coworker who lives in Bluffton and he wouldn't have it any other way.

What are the chances for base housing?

Good Luck on the move and welcome to Savannah.

Michael

Old 09-25-2007, 02:06 AM

3 posts, read 8,836 times
Hey Texan, heading to Stewart. We are looking at Richmond Hill b/c I like to get away from the Green Machine and it is central to both places. Also with kids the Richmond Hill schools look the best option.

NB

Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 51,197 times
Default Take a look at the Bacon Park Community.

It is 10 minutes from the base and is centrally located in the middle of Savannah. Lot of military in the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.nestor View Post
thank you so much...i keep tryin to search around on the net but i havent really found anything so THANK YOU!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
Richmond Hill is a great choice. The schools are good. It is half way between Hunter and Stewart. Crime is low. Many nice subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area