Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,327 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a mid twenties age girl and am wondering what the Savannah area has to offer as a place to live aside from downtown and Tybee. I've visited the downtown/historic area several times over the years and am absolutely in love, but I'm curious as to what all is available as far as the mainstream everyday life kind of stuff in the regular residential areas. I'm single with no kids, so I'm more concerned about variety in shopping (any highend?) entertainment, nightlife, dining, local sports, beautiful clean manicured neighborhoods in the middle class price range ? That type of stuff.. Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Thanks !!

-Arielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM

249 posts, read 803,231 times
Arielle,
I moved to Savannah over 14 years ago. No one in Savannah know what 'suburbia' is. Seriously. There is the historic downtown area which you have already seen, after that the 'victorian' houses were built a little farther out, later 'midtown' was built (which to me is the most affordable, but the house may need updating), after that it's shopping centers, strip malls, hotels and parking lots. When people got fed up with it all, they started building gated (and manicured) communities here and there, and now the city is annexing Pooler so they can build out in that direction.
We have the Sand Gnats baseball and their beautiful stadium, lots of bars (go to Tubby's, you might meet your next husband there), shopping is not very high end (we have Dillards, Macy's, Sears, JC Peney, Old Navy, etc. just same-old-national stores, but for good buys just go over to Hilton Head where they have 2 huge outlet malls. We entertainment, like live shows at the Lucas Theatre, but remember that Savannah is just a small town at heart, and the venues tend to be intimate. Ask more questions, please.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
and now the city is annexing Pooler so they can build out in that direction..
Pooler is a municipality in and of itself. Savannah is not and will not be annexing it anytime soon.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Pooler is a municipality in and of itself. Savannah is not and will not be annexing it anytime soon.
Though it is true that Savannah has annexed large pockets of land on the far side of Pooler.

As far as suburbs, I guess the some of the self contained neighborhoods like the Landings, Southbridge, or even Wilmington Island match the OP's description. Only Wilmington island could be considered middle class, though. You really need to look at these places yourself since what you imagine may or may not be what we describe.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM

249 posts, read 803,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Though it is true that Savannah has annexed large pockets of land on the far side of Pooler.

As far as suburbs, I guess the some of the self contained neighborhoods like the Landings, Southbridge, or even Wilmington Island match the OP's description. Only Wilmington island could be considered middle class, though. You really need to look at these places yourself since what you imagine may or may not be what we describe.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the questioner is a mid 20's single person. When I wrote my answer it was to give some basic info for an average 20 year old. Houses in the Landings sell for over a million dollars, some are 2.5 million and more.

Let's mention Isle of Hope, now that's a nice area, close to everything and still has several very affordable homes, condos, apartments available. And they even have a community swimming pool.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the questioner is a mid 20's single person. When I wrote my answer it was to give some basic info for an average 20 year old. Houses in the Landings sell for over a million dollars, some are 2.5 million and more.

Let's mention Isle of Hope, now that's a nice area, close to everything and still has several very affordable homes, condos, apartments available. And they even have a community swimming pool.
LoL, don't get your hair all up. The little girl is also looking for beautifully manicured. How are we supposed to know if her version of middle class is not something different than our pov? And not all homes out there are that expensive, though it's not my idea of average cost or something ideal. She's already looking for expensive places to shop. Someone so young may still be thinking what her folks have is normal for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area