Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 49,114 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was hoping that those of you who know Savannah well could give me a bit more advice on living in Savannah.

I have decided to just live in an apartment complex outside of downtown for my first six months or year in the city, to keep the stress of moving down, and also so that I can get a feel for where I want to be long-term. There are complexes EVERYWHERE! Have you heard of any particularly good ones, or any bad ones that I should stay away from? Online ratings are of minimal help, since there are people who love and hate each one. Also - how long would you estimate that it would take me to drive from Whitemarsh Island, the area near Abercorn on the west side of Hunter Airfield, and the Georgetown area to the heart of the historic district? I don't know how accurate the Mapquest estimates are, since they don't take 8am traffic into account. Are these three areas decent to live in? I have heard conflicting reviews of Georgetown in particular.

I appreciate all suggestions and advice, and can't wait for my October trip to your beautiful city! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
The best route to the Historic District would be the one from Whitemarsh. I am thinking with bad traffic, probably 30 minutes. Could be less if you are lucky. I am partial because that would be my favorite area just because of where it is.

Georgetown would probably be the worse traffic-wise. I can't think of a complex to the west of Hunter Field so I can't comment on that, but I think it would probably be about as busy as the one from Georgetown.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Oops, I meant to the east of Hunter field. There are several there off of Abercorn.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Ok, East is better. East would be much closer to the Historic District than Georgetown.

Could be about the same as some sections of Whitemarsh as far as traffic and time. I would look around and find the complex that suits you best.
Good luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Has anyone heard of the Springs at Chatham Parkway? It appears to be a brand new neighborhood at 1699 Chatham Pkwy. Is there anything out on that side of town other than apartments?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM

That seems to be a VERY new complex. I found it on their website, but to tell the truth, I don't know a thing about it. It's supposed to open in September.

It's not in what I would call a convenient area. Unless someone develops a lot of stores, I don't think there is supermarkets, drug stores and that sort of thing in there yet. The drive into the Historic District would be mostly on the Interstate, so it would go FAST

Old 08-31-2007, 07:00 AM

Padgett, that sounds great to me! I grew up in rural Virginia and am used to driving a bit to get to the grocery store; in fact, I really prefer not to live in the middle of a lot of development. And the fast commute is a huge plus!

I have talked to the property manager at the complex, and she did say that they were going to start moving people in in September. They would have several buildings and the clubhouse finished by October. I would be moving in December, and they plan to complete all construction by next July. One of the huge perks is the fenced dog park!

I think I may have found a winner! Thanks so much for your help, Padgett

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM

Great!! If we get a chance, we'll ride out that way one day soon. I like to see what's happening. I was not aware that area was being built up. In fact, I am a little curious to see just where it is.

I LOVE the idea of the fenced dog park. That would convince me that it was the place to be even if the apartments lacked running water and heat!!

So, maybe I'll be back with a review of at least what the outside of the complex looks like.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,645 times
Chatham Parkway is a commercial area in the center of the county, A very convenient location
the Savannah Morning News, WTOC, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru dealers, a few restaurants, The Mackey House, McDonalds, Savannah Christian Prep, My Doctor's office, the county has a satellite office Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department’s Traffic office, and the County prison.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Laurie, we didn't a thing to do this morning, so we took a ride that way to see the Springs. It looks a long way from being finished. But, by December, it could be.

Now, there aren't any other residential areas in that area. None. It's all commercial/business except for a large private school. Lots of new construction going on. All businesses, no other residential areas yet. Even though it was a Saturday morning and it was raining cats and dogs, the traffic was bad. Where the complex is situated, you might have a lot of early morning traffic going to the school plus all the people going to work. So, whatever you decide, don't sign a long term lease. It will be new, and hopefully, you could get a good deal to start with, but for a long time????

There are a lot of little breakfast and lunch places and other places that would cater to the business crowd. A couple of banks, lot of car dealerships.

But the main drawback to me would be that it is surrounded by undeveloped woods and those look just right for development. I expect that before a year would pass, there would be even more businesses, more construction and more traffic. It definitely is a fast growing area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: