Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times

Advertisements

2010 census data shows that Bulloch County now has over 70,000 and growing. Seriously, I've been to many Wal-Marts across Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and even Tennessee, and nothing compares to the insanity that is Statesboro's Wal-Mart. It's about time we got a second big retailer. The insane growth of Georgia Southern and the fact that the college demographic does well with sales of electronic items and other appliances only enhances this.

And no, I don't count that small K-Mart we have as a "big store". Anyway, discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I bet you will get a Trader Joes before Savannah does.

Target would do well with college students.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Statewboro doesn't have a Target? Hmm. Well, it took years for Savannah to finally get one -- even after Target built their distribution center here. Target is very much a "demo" location retailer -- they only go into communities that fit their market. I guess even with the large number of college kids in Statesboro, Bulloch County still falls below their minimum income threshold. It's only been the past 3-4 years that Brunswick got a Target, and you'd be surprised how scarce they are even in parts of Metro Atlanta compared to the ridiculous number of Wal-Marts. Good example: Henry County has a population of 200,000, 4 Walmarts and only 1 Target. Next door Fayette County has only half the population of Henry but TWICE the household / personal income AND 2 Targets (plus a bunch of other upscale national chains that even Savannah does not have). It's all about the economic demographic -- not the population.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

It dosen't necessarily have to be a Target, but one Wal-Mart and a small K-Mart for general retail is not enough. Heck, we had that strip mall built a few years back and got some nice specialty retail stores like Books-A-Million, Hobby Lobby, and TJ Maxx, but that STILL hasn't stopped Wal-Mart from being insanely crowded, not to mention the problem with a lack of a major electronics store (which is why I suggested Best Buy)

Heck, even a second Wal-Mart would be fine as another big store. We have the biggest Wal-Mart distribution center in all of Georgia. A second store would be well worth the investment!

EDIT: Found this article off of Google, so it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this:

http://kendranichelle.wordpress.com/...boring-target/

Last edited by BullochResident; 02-12-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Once that Great Dane plant opens I wouldn't be surprised to see another large retail center anchored by Target far behind. Question though: where do you think it should go? Northside Drive is built out isn't it and all that new stuff going in on the bypass kinda defeats the purpose of a bypass don't you think? Would a large shopping center fly on the SW side of town between campus and I-16? I saw an interview on one of the Savannah TV stations with a Stateboro or Bulloch County chamber of commerce person who said they were trying to direct growth out that way and to develop the 301 interchange ( which is ridiculously bare for being the main entrance into Statesboro from the interstate )

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 AM

Know what I just realized? Fayette County also has 2 Best Buys! Ouch! Yeah, Statesboro isn't exactly Peachtree City but still ... Seems like these national retailers would spread it around a bit more.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:17 PM

The Gateway region southwest of town would be the best place to put another big store. It would redirect all the Evans County/Candler County shoppers over there, although the Screven County shoppers would still go to the Wal-Mart on Northside Dr. Still, I'm confident the crowds would decrease by a lot.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
The Gateway region southwest of town would be the best place to put another big store. It would redirect all the Evans County/Candler County shoppers over there, although the Screven County shoppers would still go to the Wal-Mart on Northside Dr. Still, I'm confident the crowds would decrease by a lot.
WHY IS THAT I-16 EXIT SO SPARSE NOW ANYWAY? The interstate has been there plenty long to justify more than just one trashy truck stop (and by trashy I do mean trashy!) on the exit going to Statesboro! You'd think with the number of GSU kids from Atlanta who go back and forth by there on their way home and such, somebody would have built another travel center, gas stations, eateries etc. by now. MAKES NO SENSE! And what's really puzzling is you only go about 3-4 miles and BAM! You're into the beginning of Statesboro ... it's not like the interstate is THAT FAR AWAY from town! I just don't get it, but maybe that's what the chamber of commerce guy was talkign about, trying to direct growth that way. Seems like a no-brainer to me since the other side of Statesboro is so congested as is ...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Have you ever tried talking to your elected officials about this? County commissioners and local planners are often surprisingly accessible and appreciate thoughtful comments like this. Rather than throwing your ideas into the wild blue yonder, try focusing them on the people who could help.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I agree that the I-16 exit at 301 should be the focus of development around the Statesboro area. Perhaps the reason why there hasn't been any development there is because the land owners are too stubborn to sell to developers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area