U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 PM

40 posts, read 140,019 times

Advertisements

Everyone has their opinion and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way as I do. It has now been over a year and things are worse. This is a hot humid place where people are typically (not always) unfriendly. Atlanta may be hot, but I would rather have lower humidity. I am not from Atlanta to begin with. What I don't understand about these forums is that it seems as if people take things personally. Every one of us has our own opinion. I'm not slamming people that love Savannah. I read through these forums so that I can perhaps try to see the good things about Savannah. I'm still not there, but I continue to try. I came here with a positive attitude and life here has turned it to negativity. My husband hates it here as well. We don't actually live in Savannah, we are in Port Wentworth. We have been to Savannah which has charm, but once you do things there it's pretty much over with. If so many people loved Savannah there would be a higher population here. Jobs are scarce, housing is overpriced, locals make sure we know that we don't fit in, crime is horrible, businesses are shut down everywhere around here, I'm tired of being bit by bugs, and the weather is suffocating in the summer and in the winter months if it does get cooler hurts your bones because of the high moisture content in the air. Right now that is my take on the Savannah area. Hopefully my perspective will change....at least I hope so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM

878 posts, read 1,490,003 times
Good and bad everywhere.

I am a former 30 year resident of the Savannah area and moved to the Seattle area last May. I love it here... the summers are gorgeous (compared to Savannah) and the winters are mild with gray skies and spit they call rain out here.

If you go to the Seattle forums you'll see people complaining that it rains every day and the summers are cold. Now to me, 60's and 70's in the summer (again, compared to the hot humid GA summers) is pretty awesome... all I can say is those people making those comments have never lived in the south.

I still have family here and I'll come back to visit, but I will never live in GA again. It's much prettier and pleasant here in the PNW. Some people like the brutal heat but it's not for me. I've dealt with it long enough and last summer was the first time I've had where going outside was actually an option.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 AM

74 posts, read 243,257 times
I just finished a long reply to your older post in another thread, which includes some tips on the bugs. Also, I asked where you were actually living. Now I know. You live in Port Wentworth. So, you don't actually live in Savannah. As I state in my post in the older thread, sometimes that's relevant to what you're posting. And your logic is fuzzy. I love a lot of places to which I have no intention of relocating.

Look, the economy is bad everywhere right now. There was some reason your husband had to take a job here. You're 51 (at your previous post), and assuming he's around your age or maybe a little older (maybe he's not) then unless he was promoted and had to move then it's likely he lost his job and then found one here. Is that what happened? Either way, relocations are difficult. And you were desperate to find work at the time of your previous post. Did you take a proactive approach to finding a job? Do you have to work to maintain your household? Is that a stressor? Were you looking for a "job" or do you have a career? Have you just entered an "empty nest" stage, not uncommon at your age? I'm not being snarky. I'm close to your age. Speaking of which, could your health be playing a part in all of this?

(Close your eyes, guys.) Is it hormones? If even a third of what I've speculated is true AND you're either perimenopausal or menopausal and living in Port Wentworth (i.e. you didn't just move into the fairy tale version of Savannah, to say the least) then of course you're miserable. The fact that you said you were practically housebound spoke volumes to me. Have you been taking care of your health? Seeing appropriate doctors? That might be something you haven't done since your move. Do you need recommendations? I'd be happy to PM some to you. I mention vitamin B helping prevent big bites. (I think it's thiamine.) I take a B complex. Women are often deficient in B, which helps with stess and sleep, and some say bugs.

There could be many reasons you are unhappy with your move that have nothing to do with Savannah, Georgia. What was is that you left behind that was so wonderful that you feel you are now missing?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 AM

41,092 posts, read 50,840,178 times
I can understand what you mean. The only charming parts of Savannah are the places the tourists frequent...the river, the historic district, etc. We still are enthralled by the container ships on the river and the bustling, vibrant port. I love the shops and restaurants downtown. I almost never go to the malls because they don't have anything I want, and if down Abercorn by the malls, for example, was the only part of Savannah I saw, I'd think it was a dump.
If you live in Port Wentworth, you might as well be in any dumpy hot place on the planet. I live in Pooler, but thankfully, I work downtown in the upscale historic area. If I didn't spend so much time in the pretty and lively parts, I might feel the same as you. We participate in everything that goes on that we have time for. We came from a lovely place with absolutely nothing to do, so a little grittiness here seems exciting.
I have found the people to be very nice and friendly, so I don't know what you are doing wrong in that regard.
I have not encountered any crime, but of course I know it is all around me.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can understand what you mean. The only charming parts of Savannah are the places the tourists frequent...the river, the historic district, etc. We still are enthralled by the container ships on the river and the bustling, vibrant port. I love the shops and restaurants downtown. I almost never go to the malls because they don't have anything I want, and if down Abercorn by the malls, for example, was the only part of Savannah I saw, I'd think it was a dump.
If you live in Port Wentworth, you might as well be in any dumpy hot place on the planet.
I agree... while downtown Savannah is very pretty I was never that impressed with the rest of the south GA area in all the time I lived here. It's flat, dull, and the same tall southern pine trees everywhere you look.

The drive from Savannah to Macon on 16 is the ugliest highway experience I've ever had.

My biggest beef though is the weather... the summers are just brutal with all the humidity. The money I saved last summer from NOT having to pay GA Power pretty much financed my move out west. After not finding a job in over a year of job searching in the GA/SC area I found one within 24 hours of looking out west... I wish I had looked sooner.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,412,718 times
There is one thing that always bothers me a little about posts like this......the posters give the impression that it's Savannah's fault that the weater is hot and humid.....that there are bugs...
And, if we really cared, we could do something about it. That's the important fact. We can't do a thing about it and we wish that the posters would quit expecting things to change.

So, this time, I think I will post an answer. Yes, it is hot and humid. It's not the fault of the people who live here, it's the location on the planet that the city is. We can't do a single thing to make the earth better for you. It will always be terribly hot in the summer. Just as the deserts don't become beautiful garden spots, neither will Savannah have the climate that some seem to think should be here.

We can't do a thing about the areas in Chatham County, (like Port Wentworth) that are too far from the coast to get a little relief from the coastal breezes. Where there are a lot of swamps, there will be a lot of bugs. Maybe we should kill all the bugs....the birds could eat something else, right?

What I am driving at is that some people come to the Savannah area expecting beautiful weather, a paradise, perfection. It isn't going to happen. This is a HOT, HUMID, section of the world. It has BUGS. Either accept those facts, move, or shut up about it.

Now....about the people being friendly/unfriendly. If you live in an area where there are a lot of other new comers, you will probably find them as unhappy as you are. If a newcomer's personality is like the ones displayed in this forum, then, there is no wonder that he or she finds the area unfriendly. We even warn posters about buying a house in certain section before they get to know the area. Doesn't do a bit of good. They buy anyway.

And yes, the political situation leaves a lot to be desired.. Changes happened slowly, and not always for the better. That's the way it is in a lot of places.

It's not just an opinion. It's a fact of life. It's HOT here. Everyone knows that. Newcomers aren't telling us a thing that we don't already know. Complaining about the weather is like complaining that the Sun rises in the East.

Learn to smile and accept instead of gripe, gripe gripe.

Now, I expect to get raked over the coals for this post.. Far too many will not understand why their attitude is THEIR fault, not Savannah's.

And if it makes a poster feel better, some of the original settlers from the early 1700s, came, stayed a little while and went back to England. They didn't like the heat or bugs either. It hasn't changed a bit.

Not all of Savannah is beautiful all year around. That's the way it is. It's not going to change. It's not going to snow, it's not going to be cool, nor is the population going to become wonderful overnight either.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Now, I expect to get raked over the coals for this post.. Far too many will not understand why their attitude is THEIR fault, not Savannah's.
Not gonna rake you over the coals... I wanted to say that your post was spot on and I agree.

I've enjoyed my time visiting family and friends in Savannah this week... I fly back to Seattle tonight. Vacation is coming to an end but it's been fun. After living my whole life in this area and moving out west last May, I can totally relate to everything you've said... and it's also the reason I didn't hesitate to accept the job offer out here and move.

Last summer was the first one I've ever had that didn't involve humidity and bugs. That humidity and bugs is also the reason I'm visiting Savannah this week and not August.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,294,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Learn to smile and accept instead of gripe, gripe gripe.

You're not going to "get raked over the coals " from me. Far from it. I love the post. And...I love Savannah!

I spend 2 weeks every month in Savannah and live in the downtown area. I came to Savannah with a business plan that I had researched for two years and I'm glad to say Sav. has given me WAY more than I ever expected.

Let me tell you....that is a a very big statement from a born and bred New Yorker!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,514,547 times
WOW PADGETT! Your post above should be made a sticky and be required reading for ALL C-D posters! I was thinking the exact thing: How is it SAVANNAH'S fault that the weather is hot and humid? It's absolutely ridiculous that so many people use that as a base-line excuse to hate the place, ignoring the fact that GEOGRAPHY is the very reason Savannah is here in the first place, and ultimately the reason for all the "good" things it has: Scenic pristine beauty, colonial history, a bustling port.

As to the other things, all I can is anyone who's this unhappy with life clearly has far, far more issues in life than disdain for the place in which they presently reside. I know plenty of unhhappy people who dislike Savannah. But dislike of Savannah is not the source of anybody's unhappiness. Life is far too complex for that. Any psychologist will back me up on this.

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-19-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM

99 posts, read 166,998 times
Port Wentworth................/thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area