Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

12 posts, read 18,905 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at moving to Savannah in the next cpl of weeks due to a job near Hunter Army Airfield (a little east of that actually). We are looking to rent initially and purchase a home in a year or so after we get more acclimated to the area.

We would like:

1) A safe area within 20 mins or so of the job.
2) We would like to have a home, condo or townhouse preferably.
3) We would like to be close to the fun and exciting nightlife. We have a car, so if we have to drive a little for some amenities, that is okay. If we can not find a home close to the nightlife, maybe a home close to the water or with a nice view possibly.
4) We would like a home that is maybe 1200sqft or larger and trying to spend less than $1500/mo, if at all possible.

Are there areas that are safer and sound similar to what we are looking for? What areas should we be looking for rentals in? Which should we stay away from and why? I appreciate all of your opinions and advice. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 AM

61 posts, read 200,645 times
Good morning. I was given these websites and I was told these realtors are good.

Judge Realty
Cora Bett Thomas Realty
Capstone Property Management
Tri County real estate

We are also in the process of moving and looking. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
Cora Bett Thomas realty is a local legend. I think they mainly focus on downtown, but I could be wrong.

I would recommend looking in Ardsely Park. Its an adorable neighborhood, not inthe thick of the entertainment, but close enough to get their easily. Houses are usually bungalows built in the 1930s but 1200 square feet shouldn't be hard to do. Parking is a good deal easier than being on one of the squares.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM

@ William _Wallace - Thanks for the realty company names. I will look them up. Maybe they can help or at least guide me in the right direction.

@ Confusedasusual - Ardsley Park sounds nice. I would like to be able to walk to downtown if I wanted not have to use my car. I would like to be close enough to downtown to see and attend all of the festivals, see the historic things there and enjoy all it has to offer. I would prefer to use my car to go to and from work, but walk to most of my entertainment, except of course the beaches on occasion.

Thank you both for your advice. Have a wonderful day.

Susan

Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
Savannah is small-- I highly suggest getting a bike. Its flat being close to the coast and the weather is generally pretty darn warm. I used to live near Forsyth Park and had a good friend that lived in Ardsely. I certainly walked it many times, but it may be long if you aren't used to it. A bike made it about a 5-10 minute journey.

The houses in Ardsely aren't as flashy as those in the Victorian or Historic districts, but being 20th century builds they are less expensive to maintain. The neighborhood is really charming. Do some google street views to get an idea. If I would have stayed in Savannah, it would have been my first choice of a place to purchase a home.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Savannah is small-- I highly suggest getting a bike.
Small by the great big city standards, but it's large enough to have many very nice places to live. I am sure you can do better than Ardsley Park. It's nice, but there are areas that are just too close to "bad" sections and the hoodlums don't seem to care whose house they break into. So, if you look at that area, also look for a few blocks north to see what it looks like there.

A bike is always a good idea. It's a fun thing to have. Just don't plan to ride it to work. The humidity here during most of the year will make you dripping wet after just a short distance. If you can shower and change clothes before punching the old time clock.....go for it! Your co-workers will thank you!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM

I have contacted and looked at the 4 realtors listed above, to include Cora Bett Thomas' company. I have also spent time looking at their websites I hope they will be able to assist me in my home search.

I have no problems walking 1/2 - 1 miles for restaurants, shopping, grocery, festivals, and the nightlife in the evening or on weekends. I guess if needed, I may purchase a bike. I would use it for my free time and not work, as I plan to work near the Army Airfield and would drive to work. Thanks for the added input.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

I will be coming into Savannah on Sunday to spend one night. I know, I wish it was longer, but can only stay one night this trip. I hope to look around a cpl of neighborhoods then.

Still hoping I can find a home in Historic Savannah or a home with a water view (nearer the rivers and such) meeting my criteria and price range.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Stay Away or Get Away, please.

For those who are away, Stay Away.

For those who are here and not stuck (poor, or military), Get Away.

Run Fast. Run Far.

I don't know any of you. The same way I would pull someone I didn't know out of a wreck, or call 911 if there was a gap in the road just past a crest, I would not wish this place on anybody. Even in this day and age, the authorities Savannah and its outlying areas are especially corrupt, lazy and incompetent.

Since you're moving here due to employment, and jobs are hard to come by, that puts you in the "stuck" category... but at the very least don't purchase a home here.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Rage on. LOL

Honestly, are you off your meds again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: