Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times

Advertisements

LOL. I just watched a little bit of Austin Powers when he stepped back into a time machine and went back to 1969. Kinda like reading a 5 year old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM

73 posts, read 79,879 times
No don't. Noisy, smelly,crowds with tourist,horrible roads and congestion.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
I also agree with hole hard for great justice.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
I think grapes look good on plastered peanuts but that doesn't make any sense like the last two posts..

Moving on...

Old 02-10-2018, 06:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentmissing View Post
No don't. Noisy, smelly,crowds with tourist,horrible roads and congestion.
Who tinkled in your Froot Loops? It's a great place. You want what you described there in your post? Go to the Hudson Valley. See what NYC, LI and Westchester has done. This is SO much better!

Crime-yes. But I lived near Newburgh, NY and Poughkeepsie, NY-look up their crime stats. Tourists? Try going to Disney in the heat of the summer-you'll meet every MORE cranky people there. I drove a trolley here in town. What does one expect with 100% humidity, a heavy thunderstorm and windows closed up? A air conditioned charter bus? Please.

As to roads? Nothing at all like where I was before. Congestion? HA! This is a breeze! If there was an accident on the interstate where we lived before? NOTHING moved on any road for 3 different towns-it took HOURS to clear up because GPS took them onto local roads right back to that same interstate.

I just say move on along. You aren't happy here-nothing is stapling your rear end to the ground. And I love the base being here. We had one at Stewart Airforce base in Newburgh, NY. It was great watching fighter jets taking off-1969. Plus you never got tired of watching the C5-A come in for landing. It's a comforting sound.

Yes, I am a transplant. But I'll stick up for my new home 110%!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Who tinkled in your Froot Loops? It's a great place. You want what you described there in your post? Go to the Hudson Valley. See what NYC, LI and Westchester has done. This is SO much better!

Crime-yes. But I lived near Newburgh, NY and Poughkeepsie, NY-look up their crime stats. Tourists? Try going to Disney in the heat of the summer-you'll meet every MORE cranky people there. I drove a trolley here in town. What does one expect with 100% humidity, a heavy thunderstorm and windows closed up? A air conditioned charter bus? Please.

As to roads? Nothing at all like where I was before. Congestion? HA! This is a breeze! If there was an accident on the interstate where we lived before? NOTHING moved on any road for 3 different towns-it took HOURS to clear up because GPS took them onto local roads right back to that same interstate.

I just say move on along. You aren't happy here-nothing is stapling your rear end to the ground. And I love the base being here. We had one at Stewart Airforce base in Newburgh, NY. It was great watching fighter jets taking off-1969. Plus you never got tired of watching the C5-A come in for landing. It's a comforting sound.

Yes, I am a transplant. But I'll stick up for my new home 110%!

Amen ! You know we always loved you from the get go.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I think grapes look good on plastered peanuts but that doesn't make any sense like the last two posts..

Moving on...
I just almost spit out the milk I was drinking that was so funny.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 16,190 times
I absolutely love Savannah. I was born and raised a few towns over called Ludowici. Trust me, coming from this area Savannah is like a breath of fresh air. Me and my husband were in the process of buying a home and moving there, but he has been transferred to Nashville for the next few years for work, so we will be putting Savannah on the back burner, for now.

In regards to night life there are things to do. There is a huge college presence in Savannah, so there is always something going on. I partied in Miami, London, New York, Denver, Chicago and Los Angeles. When thinking about the Savannah the night life is out of the window. I would rather drive the four hours to Atlanta for a nightlife weekend, but there is so much more to do in the area in regards to festivals and other events.

When it comes to crime. As long as their is poverty there will be crime. I give 0 flips where you live in this country or around the world. Even in lil' ol Ludowici and Hinesville, Georgia there is major crime and issues. So, if you want to escape crime. Just blast yourself in the ocean and problem solved. Besides, I lived in Chicago for years. The "violent city" and my kids and husband are still alive and kicking. It's not as bad a the TV makes it seem.

Anywho, I envy all of you folks that are living it up in Savannah. I can't wait to start transitioning to this area, but in the meantime hold on to your hats during Hurricane season and save some shrimp for me.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM

91 posts, read 78,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentmissing View Post
And the hotel had a $14.08 surcharge and tax.

HA!!! that's the best quote of this whole thread!

FOURTEEN dollars! Highway robbery,the whole place should go up in flames!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM

89 posts, read 86,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy71 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Savannah, GA, I just want to know how's Savannah? I am a single 40 yr old woman & I want to know about employment, crime rate & affordable apartments.
When we first thought about relocating we made it a point to go down to Savannah for a weekend at least during each season to get a taste of what the weather can be like. To say it gets hot in the summer is an understatement. We're from MD and would rather trade in blizzards, ice and shoveling feet of snow for a sweltering heat that will probably keep us indoors the majority of August and probably mid-end of July as well (if not more)! Of course this also mean electric bills that will be much higher than we are used to - but we took all that into account.

On those trips we took in the area along with driving around areas/neighborhoods we thought we'd like to get a feel for those areas.

Hubby and I have several reasons for choosing Savannah - one big one is the cost of living/cost of housing. It is wicked cheaper than where we are now.

Suggest you do as much online research you can but to also take several trips down during different times of year to help you make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area