Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Are yall serious? We have some of the best nightclubs in the southeast to include Compound, Reign, MJQ, etc. Beautiful hotel bars at Lowes hotel, the w, st regis,etc. We have more strip clubs than most cities. We have celebrities at our clubs nightly and cities with a "good" nightlife have celebrities which is a big criteria on the overall ranking of a cities nightlife. We have sections of the metro area were clubs are open past 4am. We got tons of sex.clubs. etc. This isn't a bash on Savannah because I plan on visiting next year to the st patricks parade and when they start that mega bus line to Savannah I'm going to visit all the time but come on now. Not saying our nightlife is perfect but you all are living in fantasy land. Also LA clubs close at 2am. No way La should. Be on that list if list call is.at 2am. San fran and philly have a 2am last call so.they should not be on the list. Portland nightlife is wack. The only real party cities are nyc and Atlanta. If you love partying with pretty white women Vegas and Miami are highly ranked. The best bar city is new Orleans. Sorry for typos I'm typing on my phone. For college bar districts Austin is ranked high only if you are into the college.bar scene

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 05-22-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Are yall serious? We have some of the best nightclubs in the southeast to include Compound, Reign, MJQ, etc. Beautiful hotel bars at Lowes hotel, the w, st regis,etc. We have more strip clubs than most cities. We have celebrities at our clubs nightly and cities with a "good" nightlife have celebrities which is a big criteria on the overall ranking of a cities nightlife. We have sections of the metro area were clubs are open past 4am. We got tons of sex.clubs. etc. This isn't a bash on Savannah because I plan on visiting next year to the st patricks parade and when they start that mega bus line to Savannah I'm going to visit all the time but come on now. Not saying our nightlife is perfect but you all are living in fantasy land. Also LA clubs close at 2am. No way La should. Be on that list if list call is.at 2am. San fran and philly have a 2am last call so.they should not be on the list. Portland nightlife is wack. The only real party cities are nyc and Atlanta. If you love partying with pretty white women Vegas and Miami are highly ranked. The best bar city is new Orleans. Sorry for typos I'm typing on my phone. For college bar districts Austin is ranked high only if you are into the college.bar scene
Aint nobody caring about no celebrities jacking up the cover charge. What the heck is a sex club?

Savannah lets you walk to bars and clubs in a convient street drunk fashion. No one cares about all that other stuff.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Aint nobody caring about no celebrities jacking up the cover charge. What the heck is a sex club?

Savannah lets you walk to bars and clubs in a convient street drunk fashion. No one cares about all that other stuff.
Yes, I so care about staggering sh*tfaced from club to club. Doesn't everybody?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I so care about staggering sh*tfaced from club to club. Doesn't everybody?
If that doesn't sound fun to you then maybe you aren't really a nightlife type of person. That is fine, but places like NOLA and Savannah win for people who enjoy nightlife because they make it convient and vibrant with dense walking and open container. Some people are the quite come home before 9 type, especially with kids. The nightlife isn't for you.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
If that doesn't sound fun to you then maybe you aren't really a nightlife type of person. That is fine, but places like NOLA and Savannah win for people who enjoy nightlife because they make it convient and vibrant with dense walking and open container. Some people are the quite come home before 9 type, especially with kids. The nightlife isn't for you.
Party on, dude. But kindly hose down your vomit on the sidewalk after your little evening of entertainment. Oh, and here's a memo from my friend Esther (lives on Madison Square)-that has to refugee her home every St Patricks Week: Kindly stop doing your business in her bushes at 1 AM.
Well, cheers to Savannah nightlife.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
No, it's walkabilty. Not driving to the bars.

Look at the magazine, they agree. People just want to have a good time and walk.
You have an extremely limited view of nightlife if you think that reigns supreme for everyone over all other factors. You can do that in sort of thing in Nashville too, but there's no point if you don't like honky-tonk bars. The type of crowd the venue caters is everything. Even having to drive from venue to venue at times, I personally much prefer the nightlife of Atlanta because there are many more venues that cater to my type of crowd than Savannah. And that's why Atlanta is much more of a nightlife destination for young professionals than Savannah.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I personally much prefer the nightlife of Atlanta because there are many more venues that cater to my type of crowd than Savannah.
Don't know what your "crowd" is, but I guarantee there are multiple venues for it here in Savannah. For a city its size, Savannah has a remarkable number of clubs that do indeed cater to every "crowd" .... and the beautiful thing is, they are all mixed up together: Country bars next to jazz bars across from sports bars down the block from rave bars. And our biggest GAY BAR isn't stuck on some back alley or in a sketchy part of town; it's in a historic four-story brick building, adjacent to a Hilton Garden Inn, on a high-profile corner of Jefferson and Bay streets where THOUSANDS of bar hoppers toting to-go cups pass by every weekend going from River Street. Heck, it's not even that GAY! On Saturday nights the crowd is mostly tourists there to see the drag shows!

[/quote] that's why Atlanta is much more of a nightlife destination for young professionals than Savannah.[/quote]
See above, and check that. Because an awful lot of young professionals from places like Charleston, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Tampa and yes, even Metro Atlanta, FLOOD into this city every weekend. Downtown is often gridlocked starting noon on Fridays from all the people driving in, mostly from the South: Florida is Savannah's top tourist market, and in turn Savannah is the TOP TRAVEL DESTINATION for Florida residents. Did you get that? And while they are here, many get engaged ... or married. I witnessed a half dozen weddings during a 5 minute walk through Forsyth Park last Saturday. The city heavily markets itself as a destination for bachelor / bachelorette parties, and they fly in from all over the country ... drunk.

But again, the reason people LOVE to come party in Savannah is the to-go laws. Savannah is one of just THREE major tourists cities in the country that allow such liberal consumption of alcohol. And that's a fact. We're famous for it, and wouldn't be nearly as famous without it.

Y'all need to come down for a weekend soon. Seriously. Savannah's continual evolution is truly amazing.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Don't know what your "crowd" is, but I guarantee there are multiple venues for it here in Savannah. For a city its size, Savannah has a remarkable number of clubs that do indeed cater to every "crowd" .... and the beautiful thing is, they are all mixed up together: Country bars next to jazz bars across from sports bars down the block from rave bars. And our biggest GAY BAR isn't stuck on some back alley or in a sketchy part of town; it's in a historic four-story brick building, adjacent to a Hilton Garden Inn, on a high-profile corner of Jefferson and Bay streets where THOUSANDS of bar hoppers toting to-go cups pass by every weekend going from River Street. Heck, it's not even that GAY! On Saturday nights the crowd is mostly tourists there to see the drag shows!

Quote:
that's why Atlanta is much more of a nightlife destination for young professionals than Savannah.
See above, and check that. Because an awful lot of young professionals from places like Charleston, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Tampa and yes, even Metro Atlanta, FLOOD into this city every weekend. Downtown is often gridlocked starting noon on Fridays from all the people driving in, mostly from the South: Florida is Savannah's top tourist market, and in turn Savannah is the TOP TRAVEL DESTINATION for Florida residents. Did you get that? And while they are here, many get engaged ... or married. I witnessed a half dozen weddings during a 5 minute walk through Forsyth Park last Saturday. The city heavily markets itself as a destination for bachelor / bachelorette parties, and they fly in from all over the country ... drunk.

But again, the reason people LOVE to come party in Savannah is the to-go laws. Savannah is one of just THREE major tourists cities in the country that allow such liberal consumption of alcohol. And that's a fact. We're famous for it, and wouldn't be nearly as famous without it.

Y'all need to come down for a weekend soon. Seriously. Savannah's continual evolution is truly amazing.
Thank you. I am not sure what people in Atlanta are thinking.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Quote:
that's why Atlanta is much more of a nightlife destination for young professionals than Savannah.

Oh I don't dispute that my scene (which caters to young Black professionals) isn't found in Savannah, only that it's much more prevalent in Atlanta because Atlanta is a much more prominent destination for my sort of crowd to live in. And I'm not disputing Savannah's status as a tourist and nightlife destination and even conceded the walkability factor between its venues in the urban core, something I do wish Atlanta had. But what I am saying is that the comparison between Savannah and Atlanta in this regard isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison because Atlanta has a much larger and more diverse contingent of different sorts of people that live here that gives a variety to the nightlife in terms of venues, establishments, special events, etc.

But I'm definitely overdue a trip to Savannah and hope to make one relatively soon.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM

80 posts, read 132,676 times
Jesus. Do people NOT use taxis in the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area