Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,119,144 times

Advertisements

Savannah nightlife hotter than Atlanta's, report says
By Savannah Morning Newssavannahnow.com Copyright 2012 Savannah Now. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. April 27, 2012 - 02:38pm
Hotlanta has a swanky moniker, but when it comes to nightlife, that can't touch the Toast-Us City, according to new rankings from US News & World Report.
Savannah clocks in at No. 15 in the country, ahead of Atlanta, Key West and Dallas on the recently released list, 18 Best Nightlife Scenes in the USA.
"Sometimes referred to as a little New Orleans, Savannah surprises some visitors with its vibrant nightlife," the rankings say. "The city boasts a strong live music scene, as well as a nice variety of bars and clubs. Plus you can drink in the streets, which is always a bonus."
That last fact certainly contributes to Savannah's world-class St. Patrick's Day and growing reputation as a beer destination.
Here's the full list:
1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. Miami
6. San Francisco
7. Philadelphia
8. New Orleans
9. Portland, Or.
10. Austin
11. Washington, D.C.
12. Puerto Rico
13. Seattle
14. Nashville
15. Savannah
16. Atlanta
17. Key West
18. Dallas-Fort Worth
Check out the detailed rankings at http://travel.usnews.com/rankings/Best_Bar_Club_Scenes_in_the_USA/

TOAST-US CITY NIGHTLIFE CENTRAL
For 24/7 breaking entertainment news in Savannah, follow @DoSavannah on Twitter.
Savannah nightlife hotter than Atlanta's, report says | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 46,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
By Savannah Morning Newssavannahnow.com Copyright 2012 Savannah Now. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. April 27, 2012 - 02:38pm
Hotlanta has a swanky moniker, but when it comes to nightlife, that can't touch the Toast-Us City, according to new rankings from US News & World Report.
Savannah clocks in at No. 15 in the country, ahead of Atlanta, Key West and Dallas on the recently released list, 18 Best Nightlife Scenes in the USA.
"Sometimes referred to as a little New Orleans, Savannah surprises some visitors with its vibrant nightlife," the rankings say. "The city boasts a strong live music scene, as well as a nice variety of bars and clubs. Plus you can drink in the streets, which is always a bonus."
That last fact certainly contributes to Savannah's world-class St. Patrick's Day and growing reputation as a beer destination.
Here's the full list:
1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. Miami
6. San Francisco
7. Philadelphia
8. New Orleans
9. Portland, Or.
10. Austin
11. Washington, D.C.
12. Puerto Rico
13. Seattle
14. Nashville
15. Savannah
16. Atlanta
17. Key West
18. Dallas-Fort Worth
Check out the detailed rankings at http://travel.usnews.com/rankings/Best_Bar_Club_Scenes_in_the_USA/

TOAST-US CITY NIGHTLIFE CENTRAL
For 24/7 breaking entertainment news in Savannah, follow @DoSavannah on Twitter.
Savannah nightlife hotter than Atlanta's, report says | savannahnow.com
There's a simple reason for this. Atlanta is a business city, and Savannah is a tourist town. People come to Atlanta to work, and they come to Savannah to play. Now, where would YOU rather live?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,102,725 times
And this is something to be really proud of. A Hot town. And I live here. Wow!!!

Just what every town needs.....a reputation of having a lot of drunks.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM

11,364 posts, read 24,322,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And this is something to be really proud of. A Hot town. And I live here. Wow!!!

Just what every town needs.....a reputation of having a lot of drunks.
It's always had that reputation.

"Nightlife" is not necessarily going out and getting drunk. Its actually more about the quantity and quality of what there is to do after dinner in the way of entertainment.

I'm not sure I completely agree with the article, but I know this is a much more interesting city than it used to be.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,102,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It's always had that reputation.

"Nightlife" is not necessarily going out and getting drunk. Its actually more about the quantity and quality of what there is to do after dinner in the way of entertainment.

I'm not sure I completely agree with the article, but I know this is a much more interesting city than it used to be.
I'm going to agree with you on that! There is so much more to do now than there was just a few years ago.

However, I have one gripe. And that is the amount of space that the Newspaper takes up in telling us what is going to happen, and how good it is or was. Unless an ad is taken out, very little. According to our "great" newspaper, we're just plain blah.

Now if it's about football or baseball.....we are told in several columns about what's going to happen, who's going to do it, why it was done, how many people paid how much to see it and after it was done, several columns about how great it was. And the STARS of the games! I can see the halos and golden wings from here. And that's for every team in the USA. Page after page of Sports. And Pictures!!!! Be still my heart! A real picture of a guy sliding into base! Or running! Big pictures!! There was one of a guy, jumping up and dumping a ball in a basketball hoop. WoW. I have grandsons that have done that...over and over again......at the end of their driveway. Life sure is exciting for the newspeople at the Sports desk.

You'll have to excuse me today. A storm's coming up and I'm crankier than usual.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I'm going to agree with you on that! There is so much more to do now than there was just a few years ago.

However, I have one gripe. And that is the amount of space that the Newspaper takes up in telling us what is going to happen, and how good it is or was. Unless an ad is taken out, very little. According to our "great" newspaper, we're just plain blah.

Now if it's about football or baseball.....we are told in several columns about what's going to happen, who's going to do it, why it was done, how many people paid how much to see it and after it was done, several columns about how great it was. And the STARS of the games! I can see the halos and golden wings from here. And that's for every team in the USA. Page after page of Sports. And Pictures!!!! Be still my heart! A real picture of a guy sliding into base! Or running! Big pictures!! There was one of a guy, jumping up and dumping a ball in a basketball hoop. WoW. I have grandsons that have done that...over and over again......at the end of their driveway. Life sure is exciting for the newspeople at the Sports desk.

You'll have to excuse me today. A storm's coming up and I'm crankier than usual.
When it comes to Savannah's newspaper, it is an EXTREMELY biased paper (with ample mistakes and spelling/grammar errors). Not only that, whatever news they get about something coming or being built, they over sell it or the article will come out when it is merely a proposal and sometimes the project never gets off the ground..

As for the OP's topic, despite the fact that Atlanta is a city for business, it is also a party and tourist city. There are some attractions within the Atlanta region that trump Savannah's tourist numbers despite my hometown being a "tourist" city.
However, I do not disagree with this article one bit and personally I think Atlanta's nightlife (though vast) is not as good as Savannah's. Why? Simply because Savannah's nightlife is MOSTLY clustered together and walkable unlike Atlanta's. I cannot stand the fact that I have to travel to go from one bar or club to the next (whether it be MARTA, a cab, or personal transportation).

Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 AM

News reporting requires original research and writing, which is something the SMN is unwilling to pay for. Information about sports or entertainment events either comes with a press release or has already been prewritten by organizations like the AP, UPI, Reuters. etc., allowing the "journalists" at the paper to simply cut and paste trivial, yet space filling junk at the expense of providing relevant, local information.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
News reporting requires original research and writing, which is something the SMN is unwilling to pay for. Information about sports or entertainment events either comes with a press release or has already been prewritten by organizations like the AP, UPI, Reuters. etc., allowing the "journalists" at the paper to simply cut and paste trivial, yet space filling junk at the expense of providing relevant, local information.
Tis sad, though I guess Savannah is too small to support original research for their own newspaper... that, and it is a dying industry.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Tis sad, though I guess Savannah is too small to support original research for their own newspaper... that, and it is a dying industry.
Between the slump in the economy, which hurt its advertisers, the SMN's decision to build a monstrous new home for itself, laying off much of its staff a few years back, and its conservative, business as usual world view; the paper just doesn't have the right ingredients to be much more than a waste of trees and bandwidth.

Thats not to take away from the few good people they still have, but it doesn't make a well-rounded paper.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM

23,308 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Not to burst anyone's bubble...but what a crock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area