Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:01 AM

8 posts, read 51,191 times

Advertisements

For more information about The Bacon Park Community, e mail us at baconparkna@aol.com. We have homes for sale or rent. Our community enjoys a crime free status due to the vigilance of our neighborhood watch. We host the regions municipal recreational facilities to include golf, tennis, acquatics and on and on.

We will soon be filing our application to become the next historical landmark district in Savannah based on the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps during the "New Deal."

Centrally located in Savannah, we are minutes away from any event or attraction in the city.

Elizabeth Scott
Executive Director
Bacon Park Neighborhood Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
Don't forget that Bacon Park was also the old site of the Chatham County Prison Camp, which was called The Brown Farm. I think that dates back even further than the CCC. It was also the area of the city garbage dump. Great for bottle digs.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:50 AM

My husband and I, as long time residents of Savannah and Chatham County, have thought long and hard as to just what the CCC did in the Bacon Park Area. The only thing we could come up with was drainage canals. He had three brothers in the CCC and none of them worked in the area. Of course, since most of Chatham County is drained swamp land, I wouldn't think that would qualify Bacon Park as a historical area.

We would both like to know more about the CCC legacy in the area. Very interesting.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Default CCC #460 - The Robert Fechner Recreational Area, Bacon Park

There is an article today in "Connect Savannah" titled "This Land is Your Land." I was born and raised in Bacon Park. I remember being able to fish in a pond next to the BP Campground that was known in the 30's and 40's as The Chatham County Recreational Area. The CCC stocked that pond with fish. It is now a methane producing landfill and has been the center of a lot of controversy.

In 1875 2 physicians donated the land (1400 acres) to Chatham County for the purpose of developing a recreational area. Robert Fechner was from Georgia and appointed director of the CCC by President Roosevelt.

In 1924 an agreement was entered between the county and the city in regards to Bacon Park with restrictions to land use as "recreation only." I went before the Georgia General Assembly last year and this agreement is legal and binding. I am surprised that you would not notice the golf course, tennis courts, softball complex, little league fields, Memorial Stadium, Acquatic Center, Lake Mayer or the soccer fields. It is not a coincidence that all these recreational facilities lie within a 730 acre tract.

As for the CCC #460, the barracks was located where Southside Baptist Church now sits on Skidaway Road. They built the golf course. Actually there were two golf courses. The now existing Bacon Park Golf Course was selected because of irrigation issues.

Our supporting articles to our application to become Hisoriaclly Desginated include, oral histories from CCC members who served in Bacon Park, camp reports on all work done in Bacn Park from the department of interior and President Roosevelt's archives. We have photographs of the Bacon park Camp and a roster of all the men who served. Dr. Hopkins, professor of history at AASU captured the oral history from CCC alumni.

I would assume that since the property was already designated for recreation, that it contributed to Robert Fechner making the decision to establish the "side camp, Bacon Park" for the development of the Robert Fechner Recreational Area.

We will be in the Bacon Park Forest on Saturday, September 29th for National
Public Lands Day from 9am to 12 noon. The event is located at Bona Bella Avenue and Skidaway Road. Look for the event signs. You can read about the Bacon Park Forest on the Savannah Tree Foundations Website.

Elizabeth Scott
Executive Director
Bacon Park Neighborhood Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My husband and I, as long time residents of Savannah and Chatham County, have thought long and hard as to just what the CCC did in the Bacon Park Area. The only thing we could come up with was drainage canals. He had three brothers in the CCC and none of them worked in the area. Of course, since most of Chatham County is drained swamp land, I wouldn't think that would qualify Bacon Park as a historical area.

We would both like to know more about the CCC legacy in the area. Very interesting.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Default The CCC came after the County Farm

And it is not a dump. It is a transfer and recycling station. I have an e mail address so, it you would like to continue making negative remarks on a site designated for persons looking for information, why don't you e mail me personally.

You can also post and fume your narrow perception of my Home on my blog. Go to Savannah Morning News on the web. You will find Bacon Park there.

I would appreciate no further post on this site. Your post are intenionally offensive and contain no factual information. There is no validity to your claims. I have a copy of every deed and land trasfer within the 1400 acres of my community and your statements of swamp draining and canals are meant to offend and defamate my home and my community.

Once again, do not post anymore fictional and harassing comments on our community site.

Quote:
Don't forget that Bacon Park was also the old site of the Chatham County Prison Camp, which was called The Brown Farm. I think that dates back even further than the CCC. It was also the area of the city garbage dump. Great for bottle digs.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 AM

Sorry, We didn't know that the Bacon Park area once extended into that area where the Southside Baptist church is. That does increase the area a great deal... Of course, we know about the tennis courts, golf and other areas, but I wasn't aware that the CCC had any thing to do with them. I know the soccer fields are fairly new, the CCC surely didn't have anything to do with them. I doubt that the tennis courts date back that far either.

The Bacon Park Golf Course, which is now 27 holes, has a plaque that states it was started in 1927. Perhaps this is an error since the CCC didn't get started until Roosevelt went into office. At present, the course also acts as an overflow area to drain the area when the Casey Canal is insuffient to do the job. I am sure that you can remember how it was before the big pumps were put in.

My memories of the area just go back to the 1930s and later when it WAS a Prison Farm and Camp. They raised food for the jails in town.

I didn't say that it was NOW a dump. I stated that at one time it WAS. At least that is the impression that the site of the bottle digs in the 50s and 60s were attributed to it being an old dump by the Savannah Newspapers. The story I remember was the garbage was taken out into that area by street car and dumped at the end of the line. I guess I am in error about that too.

Savannah is drained by canals. A lot of it would be a swamp area if it were not for that. I think there are nine major canals with flood gates to the Savannah River. The Casey would be the one that drains the Bacon Park area. I sorry if you think I am insulting "Your community" by mentioning this. It is true, whether you like it or not. There is nothing "insulting" by stating that the Bacon Park area is a low-lying area. Most of Savannah is below sea level. If the county did not maintain the canals, flooding would be much worse than it is now.

I happen to agree with you that the site of the methane land fill is unsuitable for the planned low-income housing area. It would take a major influx of money to make it safe. While I never fished in that pond as you have, my sons have. I don't think they ever caught anything. However, the fact that the Bacon Park area is supposed to be Historical is laughable. Everywhere in Chatham County is "historical" in some way.

Insulting and fictional???? I think not. I did not intend that my remarks be insulting or harrassing. If you choose to think that they are, that is YOUR problem.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 AM

214 posts, read 899,670 times
Quote:
Sorry, We didn't know that the Bacon Park area once extended into that area where the Southside Baptist church is. That does increase the area a great deal... Of course, we know about the tennis courts, golf and other areas, but I wasn't aware that the CCC had any thing to do with them. I know the soccer fields are fairly new, the CCC surely didn't have anything to do with them. I doubt that the tennis courts date back that far either.

The Bacon Park Golf Course, which is now 27 holes, has a plaque that states it was started in 1927. Perhaps this is an error since the CCC didn't get started until Roosevelt went into office. At present, the course also acts as an overflow area to drain the area when the Casey Canal is insuffient to do the job. I am sure that you can remember how it was before the big pumps were put in.

My memories of the area just go back to the 1930s and later when it WAS a Prison Farm and Camp. They raised food for the jails in town.

I didn't say that it was NOW a dump. I stated that at one time it WAS. At least that is the impression that the site of the bottle digs in the 50s and 60s were attributed to it being an old dump by the Savannah Newspapers. The story I remember was the garbage was taken out into that area by street car and dumped at the end of the line. I guess I am in error about that too.

Savannah is drained by canals. A lot of it would be a swamp area if it were not for that. I think there are nine major canals with flood gates to the Savannah River. The Casey would be the one that drains the Bacon Park area. I sorry if you think I am insulting "Your community" by mentioning this. It is true, whether you like it or not. There is nothing "insulting" by stating that the Bacon Park area is a low-lying area. Most of Savannah is below sea level. If the county did not maintain the canals, flooding would be much worse than it is now.

I happen to agree with you that the site of the methane land fill is unsuitable for the planned low-income housing area. It would take a major influx of money to make it safe. While I never fished in that pond as you have, my sons have. I don't think they ever caught anything. However, the fact that the Bacon Park area is supposed to be Historical is laughable. Everywhere in Chatham County is "historical" in some way.

Insulting and fictional???? I think not. I did not intend that my remarks be insulting or harrassing. If you choose to think that they are, that is YOUR problem.
I think she misunderstood your comments.

As far as the golf course goes, I know that 9 holes of the golf course were designed by the great Donald Ross, who has designed some of the greatest courses in this country that Major Championships are played on. It opened for play in 1926. He also put is stamp on the downtown country club and the Wilmington Island Golf club.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 AM

67 posts, read 376,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann Scott View Post
And it is not a dump. It is a transfer and recycling station. I have an e mail address so, it you would like to continue making negative remarks on a site designated for persons looking for information, why don't you e mail me personally.

You can also post and fume your narrow perception of my Home on my blog. Go to Savannah Morning News on the web. You will find Bacon Park there.

I would appreciate no further post on this site. Your post are intenionally offensive and contain no factual information. There is no validity to your claims. I have a copy of every deed and land trasfer within the 1400 acres of my community and your statements of swamp draining and canals are meant to offend and defamate my home and my community.

Once again, do not post anymore fictional and harassing comments on our community site.

Sweetie, you need to get the chip off your shoulder and read what's posted a little closer. Furthermore, while it might be news to you, starting a post on an internet thread doesn't mean you own it and have the right to decide what gets said and what doesn't....

.... and you might want to just acknowledge your error and offer Padgett an apology.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Harrassment

Is when you are asked to stop and you don't.

=Padgett2;1592029]Sorry, We didn't know that the Bacon Park area once extended into that area where the Southside Baptist church is. That does increase the area a great deal... Of course, we know about the tennis courts, golf and other areas, but I wasn't aware that the CCC had any thing to do with them. I know the soccer fields are fairly new, the CCC surely didn't have anything to do with them. I doubt that the tennis courts date back that far either.

Insulting and fictional???? I think not. I did not intend that my remarks be insulting or harrassing. If you choose to think that they are, that is YOUR problem.[/quote]

Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Harrassment and defamation of charater

You are on this site a lot and seem to be real know it all. You didn't read my e mails and you are reponding to me to defamate and offend. since you cannot refrain from your stalking of our community site, I will report you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann Scott View Post
Is when you are asked to stop and you don't.

=Padgett2;1592029]Sorry, We didn't know that the Bacon Park area once extended into that area where the Southside Baptist church is. That does increase the area a great deal... Of course, we know about the tennis courts, golf and other areas, but I wasn't aware that the CCC had any thing to do with them. I know the soccer fields are fairly new, the CCC surely didn't have anything to do with them. I doubt that the tennis courts date back that far either.

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area