Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,981,064 times

Advertisements

The mixed-use hotel/retail/office development planned for the old Savannah Power site clears a BIG hurdle. This, along with the redevelopment of the former tug boat space a block or two away, is going to significantly transform that end of River Street -- all with private dollars, it is worth noting.

Thoughts?

MPC board recommends height map change for site of proposed riverfront hotel | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 PM

After unanimous approval by the MPC, the Savannah City Council today gave the final greenlight for amending height restrictions that wil make this development a reality. This is going to be a great addition and bring HUGE change to the far east end of River Street, bridging the current "no mans land" between the Marriott and River Street Markplace (where a Joe's Crab Shack franchise is also planned).

As has been mentioned via several threads, there's just a ton of stuff going on downtown right now -- new student housing on the west end under the Talmadge Bridge, at least four new hotels (in addition to the one planned for the old Savannah Power property referenced above). Charlie Morris is moving forward with plans for a 2,000-plus seat outdoor concert venue at Trustees Garden. The city council recently visited Fort Wayne, IN to get ideas for building a new baseball stadium downtown on the Savannah River Landing site.

There are "coming soon" signs in long-vacant storefronts throughout every part of the Historic District. The amount of foot traffic downtown this season has been absolutely remarkable -- and of course parking is becoming ever more a challenge. But I'd much rather welcome THAT challenge than the alternative -- a dying or even stagnant urban core

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-28-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,624,982 times
There are a couple of things still needed..

Yamacraw? village needs to be raised and a mix of market rate apartments and condos need to be built there, along with a supermarket, a trader joes perhaps.

The parking situation needs to be addressed, maybe by a parking lot within a couple of miles with a shuttle running into the core area?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Something most definitely needs to be done about the projects on BOTH sides of the historic district, at Yamacraw and the ones at East Broad and President Street (what's those called?) if for no other reason than the fact THEY LOOK TERRIBLE! I've never heard what the Savannah Housing Authority's long-range plans were for either of those complexes, but the impressive redevelopment of both Sustainable Feldwood (on West Bay over the viaduct) and Savannah Gardens (along the Pennsylvania Avenue corridor) suggests that this will happen eventually. It's the direction public housing is going nationwide. Given the high profile locations of these particular public housing communities, I'd think tearing them down and replacing them with attractive mixed-income communities would be of the highest priority. But that's just me, and as we all know -- change comes slow to Savannah.

AS FOR PARKING: Truth is that on any given day, except for special circumstances like St. Patrick's Day or Fourth of July fireworks, there is PLENTY of parking to be found within the historic district -- SOME OF IT FREE! The problem is, everybody wants to park right in front (or within a couple of blocks) of wherever they are going. In a neighborhood as beautiful and easily walkable as downtown Savannah, I have no problem parking several blocks away from my destination -- if that's what it takes. Generally speaking, there is ALWAYS plenty of on-street parking south of Liberty Street -- ALWAYS -- even on weekends! And of course, you never have to feed the meters outside of 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday. When you do need and/or desire to park closer in, the city garages are seldom full -- especially the two next to the county courthouse on Montgomery Street. And they cost a reasonable $3 flat rate on the weekends.

As a rule, I don't waste time trying to park anywhere near Bay Street or City Market no matter the day or hour.. Occasionally, in a fit of desperation or for convenience sake, I'll pay the premium rate to park in the Whitaker Street / City Market underground garage ($10-$15 flat rate depending on the event). But It's surprising how many spaces you find as close as Oglethorpe Avenue sometimes.

To me, people who continual complain about lack of parking in downtown Savannah just don't know where to look, or are plain lazy.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

54 posts, read 166,427 times
VIDEO: Hitch Village being transformed into East Savannah Gateway | savannahnow.com

HUDNo.2012-02-10

PUBLIC HOUSING

i'm just the messenger. totally agree on the parking

Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 AM

11,407 posts, read 24,508,673 times
I watched the Fred Wessels Homes complex go through its transformation as shown in one of the links above. It went from bland, to fairly nice, to boarded up in just over a decade. I really want to believe that some people care that their government housing is attractive and worth caring for, but I have not seen much evidence that this is the case. There also does not seem to be a necessary amount of accountability for proper behavior on the part of the tenant or maintenance after they are occupied. I'm not going to become a right-winger over this issue, but we should not tolerate substandard behavior from tenants. That's just laziness on the part of the "landlord". At a certain point we have to insist on tough love.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM

^^^ Ellie, I was JUST saying the very same thing to a friend this week: Why is public housing made to look so ugly? Who would want to live in such a place for any length of time, much less their whole lives (and then some). I've wondered if the bland, unattractive appearance of these "neighborhoods" wasn't intentional, to try and force people to seek something better for their lives. Obviously though, most people who live in public housing don't care WHAT the place looks like as long as it is cheap or free. They have no incentive. That's why tearing down and replacing these ghetto makers with true mixed-income developments that can restore community pride and show residents that they CAN do better, is so important. But that's a risky gamble. In 20 years, I fear places like Sustainable Feldwood, Hitch Village and Savannah Gardens will be no better than they were before -- rundown, neglected, boarded up. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM

11,407 posts, read 24,508,673 times
You're so right.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 PM

As of today, the East River Street / Savannah Electric redevelopment project is a done deal! City Council officially gave their blessing! BIG NEWS!
Savannah City Council Votes To Allow Taller Hotels On River St. | WSAV TV

I've also noticed that the back (north) side of Drayton Tower has been ripped open and work is already underway to turn that longtime eyesore into luxury apartments again. Lots of things happening in the historic district!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,107,741 times
^ Goodbye views from Trustee's Garden. A very dangerous precedent has been set here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area