Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 29,273 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Savannah next Spring! I'm a full-time student, single mother of 2 girls on a very strict budget.. I've been researching rentals in the Savannah area.. I'm new to this area and know nothing about it.. because of my strict budget I'm attracted to lower rents but don't want to find myself and my girls in the "ghetto", if you know what I mean. What areas of Savannah are deemed ghetto, hood, high crime, etc...? This will really help if someone can provide a list of neighborhoods, streets, areas, etc. as a red flag that yes low rent + ghetto!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Savannah is not laid out in your typical fashion. There are pockets of low rent/ghetto type housing all over the county. Since you have young children, perhaps a good idea would be to find out a good day-care situation for them and then find a home close to that.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM

I understand that there are pockets of these types of areas throughout the country.. I'm from Washington, DC born and raise and if someone were to ask me where these areas are I could provide streets, areas such as NW, SW, SE, NE, neighborhood names, development names, etc... maybe this is too difficult due to the layout??

I will not need to seek daycare at this time, since I will be in school during the hours they are in school, or if I do end up needing daycare I would probably have them attend close to where I will go to school at Savannah State or perhaps my school provides daycare but not really an issue for me right now.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

46 posts, read 111,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahdreamer View Post
I'm relocating to Savannah next Spring! I'm a full-time student, single mother of 2 girls on a very strict budget.. I've been researching rentals in the Savannah area.. I'm new to this area and know nothing about it.. because of my strict budget I'm attracted to lower rents but don't want to find myself and my girls in the "ghetto", if you know what I mean. What areas of Savannah are deemed ghetto, hood, high crime, etc...? This will really help if someone can provide a list of neighborhoods, streets, areas, etc. as a red flag that yes low rent + ghetto!!!

Thanks!
I've lived in many different cities in both the US and Europe. I can tell you this, Savannah is unlike any other city I've ever experienced. The quality of the neighborhood changes literally from block to block, especially if you are going to be looking for a reasonable price. You might want to check south of Victory Blvd. to Columbus, and going East to West, from Ash Rd to Habersham. That is for the most part, Ardsley Park, and can be considered a family oriented safe region. The further north you go the more you will have to see the places for yourself.

Take this from a person who, after visiting Savannah 3 times, thought he could buy a house "long distance". The pictures looked great of both the house and the street, but we are 2 blocks away from an intersection where in the past 3 days, 2 shootings took place, with one person dying. I heard the shots on a Sunday night at about 11pm. Pop pop pop...pop...pop pop pop...pop. 7 shots that raised the hair on the back of my neck. Pay More and be safe. You will enjoy the transition so much more. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks Light Zone! That is exactly what I was looking to here eventho you couldn't get anymore specific than that.

I'm trying the best I can to avoid just that.. looking at pictures of houses online and looking at a relatively nice street but not knowing that I'm living a block away from everything I'm trying to avoid.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahdreamer View Post
Thanks Light Zone! That is exactly what I was looking to here eventho you couldn't get anymore specific than that.

I'm trying the best I can to avoid just that.. looking at pictures of houses online and looking at a relatively nice street but not knowing that I'm living a block away from everything I'm trying to avoid.

looking *for on here* (typo)

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Well, when my wife and I ride our bikes, we have determined that North of Victory Drive is when it starts to get "dicey", but the minute go go south of Victory, in the areas by Daffin Park for example, it's like entering a different city. It is THAT dramatic.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM

OK, If you are going to be going to Savannah State, then, you will probably be able to find something that suits in that area. Thunderbolt, Bona Bella, and many small subdivisions too numerous to name.

Savannah State may even have a housing office that can help you find a place. Forget the areas mentioned in the above posts, while you might find something, I think you could find something to suit closer to the school.

This area is bordered on the east and south by rivers and marsh. So, first, search south of Victory Drive and then look to the west to Bee Road. Then, if nothing turns up that you can handle, extend your search north of Victory Drive.

I would love to give you streets, etc. like you want, but it's just about impossible to do that. The older sections also just don't have "names" or if they ever did, they have been long forgotten.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Sorry, missed the Savannah State thing.

Major Rd to look for heading North / South would be Skidaway. That area of town is pretty far from what most outsiders consider to be Savannah.

I remember when we decided to move here, we were excited about everything we imagined Savannah to be, which is, in reality, centered around tourism. If you are outside of the downtown Historic area, you can certainly find nice places, but you might as well be in "Anytown USA".

Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light-Zone View Post
Sorry, missed the Savannah State thing.

Major Rd to look for heading North / South would be Skidaway. That area of town is pretty far from what most outsiders consider to be Savannah.

I remember when we decided to move here, we were excited about everything we imagined Savannah to be, which is, in reality, centered around tourism. If you are outside of the downtown Historic area, you can certainly find nice places, but you might as well be in "Anytown USA".
Oh, Yes!!! It's well known to native Savannahian that there are really TWO Savannahs. The Downtown, Historic District, and the Rest of It, some of which is just as historic and more beautiful than the Historic District, we just don't talk about it and hope all the tourists will not find out about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area