Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Very good points. I can't disagree with you on any of them.

Perhaps when the Effingham Parkway is constructed it'll make a difference in it's more rural feel. Also interesting to note that Effingham has double Bryan's population. Effingham also has much more land area than Bryan so more room to grow.
There is an industrial park out there (not sure if it is in existence yet or if it is all prospective) that when developed is suppose to support research and technical development. I forget the name of it, but it is located in Central Effingham between Guyton and Springfield. (Man, I sure did divert off the OP. LOL)
You're talking about the Effingham Park of Commerce; it's at the intersection of Ga 21 and Ga 275 (Ebenezer Road) between Rincon and Springfield. There are already some huge industries there, including EFACEC a Portuguese manufacturer of industrial electronics. It is HUGE and there's a brach campus of Savannah Tech right across the street.

That "mid area" of Effingham is developing very rapidly and where their next (3rd) high school New Ebenezer will go. I like Effingham County a lot; if there was better access to the interstates and traffic wasn't so bad, the population out there would easily be over 100,000 by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You're talking about the Effingham Park of Commerce; it's at the intersection of Ga 21 and Ga 275 (Ebeneezer Road) between Rincon and Springfield. There are already some huge industries there, including
Actually, I know that one you're referring to and the one I'm talking about is something different. I'll try and find some info/articles on it if I can..

I believe it is the Research Forest Tract located off McCall Road.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM

I was able to find a little about it. According to the Effingham County IDA, the Research Forest Tract is in the preliminary planning stages (this info may be old though) and it's target market is to aerospace, high tech and defense industries.

I was also able to find this: http://www.ced.uga.edu/pdfs/outreach...nghamfinal.pdf
This link is just something done by UGA for Effingham IDA. I'm sure you'll be interested in this if you haven't already seen it. The plan/design is definitely something the area could use! Again, slightly outdated, but very nice.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM

Also, there is still tons of available land for industrial / distribution development on the Jimmy Deloach Parkway cooridor, Savannah Tradeport, etc. Problem is the road network in West Chatham is near gridlock already -- a combination of huge residential growth in the area and explosive port traffic. Fortunately, long-range development plans for the whole area were designed around steady expansion of the road network. When Jimmy Deloach is finally completed all the way from GA Ports to I-16, it will make a HUGE difference!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Also, there is still tons of available land for industrial / distribution development on the Jimmy Deloach Parkway cooridor, Savannah Tradeport, etc. Problem is the road network in West Chatham is near gridlock already -- a combination of huge residential growth in the area and explosive port traffic. Fortunately, long-range development plans for the whole area were designed around steady expansion of the road network. When Jimmy Deloach is finally completed all the way from GA Ports to I-16, it will make a HUGE difference!
Agreed. It has taken long enough to get this stuff rolling.

I feel like a broken record with this, but I still can't believe 16 & 95 haven't been lit and it should only be a matter of time before that whole interchange is reconstructed...right?? (with a wild eyed look.. RIGHT?!? soo sloowww too progressss)

Anyway, we have REALLY gone off subject. STATESBORO over Richmond Hill.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Two different places. Difficult comparison LOL!!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Two different places. Difficult comparison LOL!!
Deja vu. LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 AM

808 posts, read 1,015,210 times
@WanderingImport: We sure do have a beautiful downtown! I love our architech, especial the courthouse and averitt center with that perfect orange and creme color! Also those historic homes to its core in Savannah Avenue and Zetterower are great also! I know this is a old thread, but i didnt wanna make a whole new thread just to Say how beautiful our downtown is. And man Is it BEAUTIFUL ?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
I have an aunt who moved to Richmond Hill back in the early 1970s, and I recall visiting her home a lot as a very young child. It was out in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road and placed on a large wooded lot. I rode through that area in ~2005 and I literally got lost trying to find the house. None of the old landmarks were in place, and the whole area was so built up that if it had not been for the street name, I would not have known this was the same Richmond Hill I'd visited as a child. The actual house she used to live in was surrounded by other homes (the property had been clear-cut and sub-divided like crazy) and the road had been paved, then four-laned. I'd never been so thoroughly confronted with just how much a local town had grown from humble beginnings.

Even as an Effingham kid, I would choose Statesboro (or even Richmond Hill) over Rincon. Rincon, like RH, used to be nothing to write home about, but became more developed and populated. What makes Rincon unappealing to me is how it didn't start around a "city center"/nucleus and then develop outward, but instead just developed around roads already in place. Bits of the town are just sort of spread around and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to its layout. Rincon also does not really seem to care about its appearance. It's hard to explain, but Rincon has this look of having seen better days, even though it's more prosperous than it ever has been. Westwood Heights used to be this prestigious place to live when I was in high school, but now it has sections that are falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area