Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

Im going to finnish school soon and was thinking about moving to the Savannah area. I have visited plenty of times but not too familiar with the area except for downtown. I love that area, where would it be a good idea for a young (21 female) fresh out of college to relocate? I want to be as close to downtown as possible, but in a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Hmmm. Well, my first (and natural) response would be downtown, because of the number of students and young artsy types who inhabit the Historic District. However, this might not be a good idea for a 21 yo single girl just starting out on her own because the housing stock is rather old-- lots of third-floor walk ups, converted Victorian duplexes and carriage house apartments BUT cost and safety are an issue. Not to mention parking; some places have it, some don't.

One terrific option for young professionals living in the heart of Savannah will be Drayton Towers, a 1950s eyesore to
many but one of the finest examples of mid-Century "Metropolitan" architecture anywhere in the country. It's being converted into luxury 1BR apartments completely with 24 hour concierge, doorman security, etc. -- a true "big city" residential option in the heart of downtown Savannah!

http://www2.wsav.com/news/2012/jun/2...es-ar-4057244/
Tower feist

Outside of downtown, there are plenty other parts of town for a young single girl just starting out -- including plenty of gated apartment communities and the like. But for comfort and safety reasons, I would recommend you keep any search to either the Wilmington Island area (east of downtown near the beach) or in Pooler (westside near the airport) at least to start. You don't say where you're coming from, but these areas are far more family oriented and stable than the vast Southside, and far enough away from the "bad" parts of town not to be a worry.

Of course, the main determination on where you end up living should be where you work. Savannah's nowhere near Atlanta, and it is altogether possible to live on one side of town and work on the other. But our road network is pretty lousy and traffic IS bad; so do you want to spend 30-45 minutes a day driving to work?

Best of luck!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 PM

46 posts, read 111,120 times
Drayton Towers is in a great location with fantastic views. We looked at raw space there last December. I wish we had bought. The price has doubled with this new investor.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Yeah Drayton Towers is really hip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: