Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You mean Bangers and Mash? I know, right? Some mashed potatoes and a sausage. What's the big deal?

I cannot remember what we were watching on TV, but something got DH and I looking to buy authentic bangers on line, and failing that, we wanted to go somewhere and get them.

When you live the kind of exciting, semi retired life we live, you will understand that a road trip to eat bangers and mash is as good a theme as any for something to do, and we haven't been to Six Pence before.
Molly McPherson's on Congress Street in City Market (where the original Lady & Sons was located) has excellent Bangers & Mash:

Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pubs and Grill -Menu ˜ Savannah GA ˜ Pooler GA ˜ Richmond Hill Ga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Molly McPherson's on Congress Street in City Market (where the original Lady & Sons was located) has excellent Bangers & Mash:

Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pubs and Grill -Menu ˜ Savannah GA ˜ Pooler GA ˜ Richmond Hill Ga
Thanks. DH said we were watching Diners, Drive ins and Dives.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Went to Zoe's by Whole Foods. It was good.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Went to Zoe's by Whole Foods. It was good.
Zoe's serves fresh food with a middle eastern bent. I wouldn't call it particularly good, though. The food is actually sort of bland to me, and I believe anyone with half a heart for it could do better in their own kitchen. It's relatively cheap, and it's not "bad," and the bright decor is "nice." The service is almost slow, and on the whole just not really remarkable. I find that right now, the place is a little busier than it probably will be due to spillover traffic from the still brand-new Chipotle just a few storefronts down.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Zoe's serves fresh food with a middle eastern bent. I wouldn't call it particularly good, though. The food is actually sort of bland to me, and I believe anyone with half a heart for it could do better in their own kitchen. It's relatively cheap, and it's not "bad," and the bright decor is "nice." The service is almost slow, and on the whole just not really remarkable. I find that right now, the place is a little busier than it probably will be due to spillover traffic from the still brand-new Chipotle just a few storefronts down.
I get that. The Chipotle was way busier. I tend to agree with you, but I would need to try something else first, before I give up on it.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Has anybody ever eaten at Henry's diner / buffet restaurant at the corner of Congress and Drayton, on the backside of Planters Inn? They're only open for breakfast and lunch (until 2 pm?) and I'm seldom down there that time of day. What's interesting is, they do a big breakfast menu and breakfast buffet on the weekends. I know from experience that it's hard to find a good breakfast outside of the hotels, and wonder if this is a good place to recommend to tourists?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Finally had dinner at Chive on Broughton Street last night. Great food, fantastic decor and ambiance, beautiful people. My dining companion had just gotten back from Vegas on Wednesday and said she felt like she was still there. SWANKY!

Dinner for the both of us was over $100, including tip. OUCH! But it was worth it (and I'm not usually one to spend big $$$ at restaurants.)

Chive is the latest creation by Ele Tran (Ele, Fire, Tangerine, King and I). Everything the woman touches turns to gold.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:31 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
We had dinner with out of town guests at Garibaldi last night, which is our standard go-to nice restaurant. We had reservations but were a few minutes late, (we called to let them know) so they sent us upstairs, which is where I'd heard they always send poorly dressed tourists and larger groups. Oh no! I even asked the hostess if that was the case as she walked us up the stairs. She said, "no, it's beautiful upstairs."

Well, it certainly is beautiful up there, in a sort of Versailles, mirrored hall kind of way. Very well done. It is like a ballroom, with numerous large round and smaller square tables all in white linens with those delicate, old style gilt bamboo dinning chairs that seem so Savannah to me. It totally worked.

Yes, it was a little noisy due to the lack of sound muffling upholstery and hardwood floors, but we could carry on a conversation without raising our voices. And no, it was not filled with ugly tourists. Nearly everyone had on their elegant evening wear or something nicer than average. Quite the bustling scene with a full house.

I checked the recent reviews yesterday morning, to see how the restaurant was comparing to its competitors. The main complaints had been about inattentive service. That was definitely not the case last night. I'm no good at understanding dining dynamics but it seemed each table had a primary waiter as well as assorted servers who filled in gaps as needed. A meek and mild looking floor manager circulated around the room monitoring and assisting, while remaining remarkably unobtrusive, considering how much he was doing. And our waiter was a perfect delight: attentive & cheerful, but not bothersome.

How was the food? It was as good as ever, maybe even better than my last couple of visits. The only disappointment was that our calamari appetizer needed salt and the dipping sauce wasn't spicy enough.

Last edited by ellie; 10-26-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 PM

779 posts, read 973,058 times
Logan's at Pooler is going downhill.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Logan's at Pooler is going downhill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
As I write this, I'm sitting alone at the new Tequila's Town on Whitaker Street where Barne's Express used to be. I was walking back to my car, stopped to read the menu and thought "why not?"

THIS PLACE IS EXCELLENT! It's "upscale" Mexican, and a bit pricier than what Savannah's probably used to, but oh so we'll worth it! I had fresh guacamole prepared table-side and a chicken chili relleno. Outstanding! Portions are filling without being ridiculously huge. I left very satisfied and will DEFINITELY be back with friends!

Highly recommended!
I went to the Cuban restaurant on MLK tonite. When I was leaving I saw a promotional sign in their restaurant for Tequila Town(Front window).
Wonder if they have an association and if not why would they post a competitor's sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area