Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 04:16 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Chef Roberto Leoci to lead new Italian restaurant and bar on Bay Street | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Good for Roberto. He'll do great, unless has has finally reached his limit for number of things one person can juggle at a time.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I finally tried Public the other day and had a hamburger. It was okay. I don't understand why chefs think it's necessary to put an inch-and-a-half thick chunk of meat on a dry toasted bun. It's not exactly pleasant to eat under any circumstance.

How can you eat that, in Public, and not make an awkward mess of things without dissecting it to bits? Sort of negates the function of the bread, don't ya think?

They missed the mark on its level of doneness. I asked for medium and it was definitely on the rare side, being pink all the way through. (No, I didn't send it back. Sort of screws up a luncheon to leave your companion waiting with a full plate of food because you're too fussy to eat raw meat) The burger wasn't well seasoned either, maybe a touch of salt and pepper on the outside, but bland on the inside. Boring boring boring.

BTW, I try out hamburgers at virtually every restaurant I visit, when it's appropriate. Seems it's a good way to gauge the basic kitchen skills of the average restaurant cook. Obviously, they scored lower than at least four other popular casual dining venues downtown.

Last edited by ellie; 02-22-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
^^^ It was reported in today's newspaper that 9,000,000 lbs of beef were re-called by a California processing company. The meat had gone out to 1000 outlets (none in Ga., the list is on-line).

The troubling things is it left the plant WITHOUT U.S. Food inspection. The meat was grossly bad. The article goes on to say the agency does not have enough inspectors and is proposing a plan, get this, they favor a plan that will allow in-house inspection by the meat processor's. They admit that person will not be as "qualified as the government's inspector".

Isn't that classical of "The fox in the hen house"?

Last edited by pink caddy; 02-22-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
^^^ I read about that the other day. It's troubling.

However, I figure eating out anywhere is risky so I choose not to worry too much when doing so. Our entire existence is fraught with peril. Dining is supposed to be something out of the ordinary and for special occasions. But if I'm traveling and feel hungry, I'll eat almost anywhere.

Unfortunately, if a restaurant gets a lot of hype, I'm going to expect excellence.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 AM

We finally tried 17Hundred90, on President St., a few blocks off Wright Sq., for dinner last night and had a great experience. The atmosphere was cozy, the food was delicious, and the service was great. It was full on a Monday night, which says a lot. There was a very talented piano player entertaining in the dining room.

The Innkeepers are a retired couple (teacher and Methodist minister). As they were getting ready to retire, they learned that the Inn was about to go under. Their son worked there and would have lost his job, so they decided to take it over, and are making a success of it.

We will go back often.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 PM

^^^^And on a chilly night the fireplace brings the whole experience together.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 AM

Went, for the second time, to The Pink House last night. Here are a couple of observations: place was a mob scene beyond description but in spite of that we were seated within five minutes of our reservation time. Placed in a quiet room downstairs with just six tables. Setting was perfect and away from the chaos of the mob at the front desk.

I'm totally impressed at the way the restaurant is managed. It seems that each of these little rooms are managed by a "manager" type person. She oversees all that is going on and directs the waiter in all aspects of the service you receive or are supposed to receive. Quite impressive in my case as she did not let the waiter to have any lapses in service what so ever.

Food is quite a bargain when you compare the quality, selections, and quantity for the price. I would think that it is far better deal than any of the leading higher price restaurants in town.

I'm a fan and I'm going to put this restaurant on the top of my list.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:38 AM

I went to the new Tijuana Flats in Pooler yesterday. It was packed at lunchtime, the servers were attentive, and the food was good. They have both inside and outside tables, also carry out. They have a hot sauce bar, with dozens of kinds of hot sauces, rated by hotness.
If you haven't been to one before, it has a basic menu of burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. You place your order at the register, they build it, according to what you ask for, in the kitchen and bring it to your table. If you don't mind crowded and noisy, I recommend it.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:40 AM

Default Smaller plates

I've come to enjoy dining in restaurants with "smaller plates" or "lighter fare". For me I get to sample more of what the restaurant has to offer.

Last nite at B. Matthews: potatoe and leek soup( the special), followed by Cesar salad ( regular size) and seared gnocchi (lighter fare). Plenty of food for me.

Live music and a very good selection of wines by the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area