Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 45,746 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Considering moving to Toombs County from New Jersey.
I would like your thoughts i.e. is it a good place to live? Safe? Things to do?
TY in advance for your thoughtful comments.
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM

11,364 posts, read 24,319,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton2 View Post
Hello,
Considering moving to Toombs County from New Jersey.
I would like your thoughts i.e. is it a good place to live? Safe? Things to do?
TY in advance for your thoughtful comments.
Jim
Why!?! LOL

Have you ever been down here? Have you ever been to Toombs Co.? I'm not sure there is a whole lot to do unless you enjoy a very rural lifestyle. It's probably safe enough and a perfectly fine county to live in, but if I recollect, it's very poor. They grow onions there.

Vidalia is the largest town. I've only driven through it a few times, most recently last winter. It's okay, about half way between quaint and blah. The land in the area is mostly flat and covered in pines where they're not growing crops. It's hot for about 8 months of the year but the winters are mild, dipping to the 20's on a few cold nights.

The people might be friendly enough, though if you're really from NJ they'll find you a bit odd.

What else do you need to know?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM

Never been there. That's why I'm posting here, to find out what it's like there.
Thanks for the feedback.
A job may bring me there.
It seems affordable but I worry about lack of things to do....

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM

It might be an interesting experience if you need or want the job badly enough. They will have satellite TV and you can probably get broadband Internet in the larger towns. Seriously, I'd check cell phone coverage, since the bulk of the county is not near a major highway.

You should also post your question in the main Georgia forum, since Savannah is about 80 miles away. It's 80 country miles, not close to any metro area. For a moment I thought it might be convenient to Statesboro, but that's over 50 miles away. All you have is Metter, Swainsboro, and Dublin as nearby towns.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks Ellie.
I'm going to pass on the job. It sounds way too isolated. My wife would divorce me!
I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. And thanks so much, Ellie!
Regards,
Jim

Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,184,116 times
I believe I would investigate the area more. You may just like living in a nice small town. So far, you have only heard from one person who has only driven through the town a few times. You may be surprised. I lived near there for 12 years and I liked it. Of course, I like hot weather, moderate winters, flat land and friendly people.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM

AAAARGH!
You're right.
I guess I should visit myself. I do like the allure of living in the country (remember, I'm from Jersey); it sounds "romantic" to live in a rural place. I just don't know how practical it would be.....

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM

I'm trying to play the devil's advocate, I guess, but I do speak from personal experience; though not in Vidalia, of course.

It depends on what you consider "things to do" are. Does your wife like to shop? There's always Atlanta...

Are you put off by people who usually go to church on Sunday, because they will invite you. How comfortable will you be living in a politically conservative community where racism is not uncommon? Sure people are nice. You won't meet many openly gay people either. You'll also experience first-hand the cultural and economic issues caused by a reliance on migrant farm labor and a hatred and fear of the exact same thing, because they have to hire stoop labor to manually plant and harvest Vidalia onions. Who's gonna do that cheaply enough?

And do you believe the Civil War ended nearly 150 years ago? Really?

Yeah, rural life in the south rocks. Or it would if it weren't for all those friendly people.

Last edited by ellie; 10-04-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
You might want to check out this site: //www.city-data.com/city/Vidalia-Georgia.html

Tons of info about Vidalia.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Well said, Ellie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area