Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times

Advertisements

Would Tybee Island be a good place for a family to spend the Thanksgiving holiday? Is it a pretty place? A charming place? Are there any good restaurants there? Are the beaches attractive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 174,831 times
Default Tybee

Yes, Tybee is a great place to spend Thanksgiving with family. Its charming, pretty and lots of nice restaurants.

The beach is ok. Its not as beautiful as the Gulf Coast beaches, The sand isnt as white and the water not as blue, but its still nice.

Rent the family a nice cottage rather than stay in a hotel. There are tons of cottages with so much charm and a nice homey feel.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,361 times
I love Tybee...my favorite time there is in the fall

Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Wink Tybee is great in fall and winter, jmo

I think you would enjoy a Thanksgiving on Tybee Island--most of the 'tourists' would be elsewhere and you would experience the quaint charm, lots of long walks on the beach--watching the ocean, passing ships, birds and serenity.

Several very good places to eat on Tybee--Breakfast Club is a must --I believe the owner is a native might have been a shrimper or sailor. Something like Jimmy Buffet, IIRC.

Several nice B&B's with great food. On Wilmington Island and/or Whitemarsh--I always liked Palmers and Snappers for moderately priced seafood--good seafood bisques at both--might be good options for lunch.

Savannah is about 20 minutes away--tons of history and great restaurants, good sight seeing. Good seafood restaurants around Thunderbolt Island on the water, too.
Bonaventure Cemetery featured in 'The Garden of Good and Evil'--on an overcast November day with the Spanish moss hanging from the trees --that should not be missed. Wormsloe Plantation, Skidaway Island--Marine Research Center, Oatland Island and Wilmington Island.

I would plan 2 days of sightseeing--one for the historic district and another to drive around the islands and stop at places of interest then meander south to Wormsloe and Bethesda and Skidaway.

My friend moved to Tybee one fall and we visited her around Thanksgiving. She always said Tybee was a very healing place. Artist. Painted some incredible pictures of the Lighthouse and the marsh. She really loved living there and I loved to visit. 'Sand in your shoes'--you always return.

bhs

Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Tybee closes down after Labor Day. It is not what most people would call charming. It's sort of run down and tacky. But the beach can be wonderful on a nice day. If you like quiet, Tybee would be the place to be. Just don't expect much to keep you busy. Be sure and take time to walk out on the pier.

There are many good places to eat there and closer in to Savannah. Snappers on Wilmington Island hasn't been open for years. It is now Uncle Bubba's, run by Paula Deen's brother.

If you do rent a cottage, be sure that it has a heating system, not all of them do. It might be chilly around Thanksgiving.

I sure hope you enjoy your stay. You will have to travel through Savannah to get there. If you have time, drive around and check out the squares, homes, etc. you might see something that you would like to come back and look at closer.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Smile Hi Padgett2 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Tybee closes down after Labor Day. It is not what most people would call charming. It's sort of run down and tacky. But the beach can be wonderful on a nice day. If you like quiet, Tybee would be the place to be. Just don't expect much to keep you busy. Be sure and take time to walk out on the pier.

I sure hope you enjoy your stay. You will have to travel through Savannah to get there. If you have time, drive around and check out the squares, homes, etc. you might see something that you would like to come back and look at closer.
She/they must take a tour of the watefront/Riverstreet and see the Waving Girl--wouldn't you agree? That is Savannah to me--and the Pirate's house --good happy hours--can almost travel back in time. I loved my Sojourn in Savannah--1987-1991. Taught school/lived on Whitemarsh. Had a teacher friend in Atlanta that grew on Isle of Hope--true Savannahian. Artist. Incredible watercolors--<g> that's Isle of Hope--very inspiring.

email me if you want to talk Savannah. My Dad grew up at Bethesda--love the Low Country--beach, seafood and more laid back lifestyle.

LOL--Savannah people just wouldn't 'Think' of living in Atlanta--I well understand--too big, busy and all that. Home to me.

I've been reading some good things about what is going on in the school system. Some passionate and excellent educators down there. I say--'Right On'!!! If there is a problem --then there is a solution.

Waving from Hotlanta. Nice here today--leaves haven't started to change--but it rained yesterday--air cleaner and it is calm and cool. Good as it gets.
)

bhs

Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 23,682 times
Went to Savannah in March of 2005, loved it!!! Stayed in a B & B on Tybee Island. The beach wasn't that great but the lighthouse was really nice. Sandra Bullock has a house there but you can't see it for the high fence.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Thank you all so much. We're going! I know we'll have a great time. The last two years we've gone up to the NC mountains and years before to the Charleston area. I expect this one to be a great as the others.

Two Charlotteans, two Britts, one Washingtonian and one Durhamite.

BarbJ

Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Talking my $.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Thank you all so much. We're going! I know we'll have a great time. The last two years we've gone up to the NC mountains and years before to the Charleston area. I expect this one to be a great as the others.

Two Charlotteans, two Britts, one Washingtonian and one Durhamite.

BarbJ
Add one native Atlantan--with family ties to Savannah --Tybee was my first beach--never was happier in my life than the first time I saw the ocean ).

LOL--I don't recommend that you stay at 'The Royal Palm'--many nicer places to stay--condos, cottages, motels and B&B's-but my 'Wild and Crazy Friends' once booked a week at the Royal Palm--40's motel, economical --cough--the sort of place preferred by Clark Howard/Consumer Guru/WSB AM 750--never 'wastes' a penny sort of guy and at times such accomodations are adequate for me. It is right across from the beach on Butler Street near the boardwalk within walking distance of the Breakfast Club and the 'shopping district'--)--Tybee is 'rustic'--I enjoy 'Less'--have So Much of Everything in Atlanta---really bothers me at times.

I would take a Robert Louis Stevenson anthology--poems or one of his books to Tybee Island.
Here's a link>>>
Robert Louis Stevenson Quotes

Once you see the Lighthouse and learn the history of Georgia's first colony you might want to read 'The Lighthouse Stevensons'--fascinating family--had some good ideas.

LOL--taught English for too many years--always suggesting reading materials whether anyone wants/needs such advice.

bhs
My favorite or one the many great quotes of Robert Louis Stevenson:

'It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire. '
Robert Louis Stevenson
Scottish author (1850 - 1894)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,462 times
My husband and i went to Tybee Island in August 2007, very hot with a heat index of 105. Even though it was that hot it was absolutly the best trip we had been on. My favorite place to eat was The Old Pink House in Savannah, it was a little expensive but well worth it. We stayed at the historic Marshall House. Very old hotel with Concierge that will book everything for you. Tybee Island is 20 Minutes, its a nice drive and the beach is very quiet and calming. We loved it i did not want to leave. Savannah period i just loved and i cant wait to go back. Would suggest staying in a cottage or condo in Tybee , alot of the hotels look like motels and very old. I guess that is a part of its charm but thats not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area