Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Well, here I sit on River Street just hours before the start of the 2nd Annual Savannah R&R Marathon and not surprisingly, things are kinda quiet. Guess the 18,000 runners are all in their hotel rooms waiting for 6 am wake up calls? Tomorrow promises to be a great day -- beautiful weather, party atmosphere and according to the local news, lots of NYC Marathon runners are headed south down I-95 overnight hoping to run Savannah now that NYC has been canceled.

ANOTHER GREAT WEEKEND to be living in Savannah, GA! If anybody has thoughts, images, stories or memories to share from this GREAT weekend -- PLEASE SHARE!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I'm not going to complain too much since we're only inconvenienced two days a year by this event. In theory it's good for business, tax revenue, tourism, and charity.

Personally, I'm having to rearrange my schedule so that I can get across town today. In trying to find a route and work through the timing, im baffled at the race's use of both the Truman and one short section of Victory which will essentially block all traffic circulation east/west for several hours. I'd have to see it at close range to decipher the plan, but it's a serious pinch point that will unfairly hamper a lot of business and other commerce in town for many residents who don't really enjoy the event.

C'est la vie.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I'm just staying away from downtown, and I hope everyone has a good, fun race, and the businesses make tons of money. Inconvenience is a way of life in a tourist town, but I wouldn't want to go back to bumpkin land just so I could get places faster.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
It's all over now but the partying. And yes, being an island resident I'm also bothered by the warnings to just "stay home until its all over." What if I HAD to get to one of the hospitals? Or the airport? Or a job on the Southside? Yes, I know there are ways but still ... Is the price of being inconvenienced a few hours worth the exposure, tourist dollars, etc? Ultimately I say yes ... just like St. Patrick's Day and on a much smaller scale.

I just regret not being anywhere hear the race route and not being able to see it. Why don't they run it out to the islands and back? That would be quite scenic!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I saw a chunk of it around 1pm when the roads were SUPPOSED to reopen. I was trying to get to Gordonston, which was more or less sealed off. My friend had to go over to Victory Drive to pick up another friend, and they had to drive through lanes and sneak down a closed street to get home.

The stragglers were in sorry shape and Forsyth Park looked like the aftermath of Orange Crush.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It's all over now but the partying. And yes, being an island resident I'm also bothered by the warnings to just "stay home until its all over." What if I HAD to get to one of the hospitals? Or the airport? Or a job on the Southside? Yes, I know there are ways but still ... Is the price of being inconvenienced a few hours worth the exposure, tourist dollars, etc? Ultimately I say yes ... just like St. Patrick's Day and on a much smaller scale.

I just regret not being anywhere hear the race route and not being able to see it. Why don't they run it out to the islands and back? That would be quite scenic!
Oh, all you need to do is make a reservation at one of the hotels on Bay St on the correct side of the street for next year. *****, *****, *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area