U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,830 times

Advertisements

I've spent plenty of time searching this forum and of course neighborhoods and crime discussion comes up A LOT, so I hate to bring it up again. However, I wanted to get some more opinions on areas in question. I am from Tampa, FL and have lived very close to government housing and crime, but it never seemed to effect the few blocks around my actual house. Would I walk a few blocks up- in the middle of the night? no. But, I never had to worry about getting in and out of my car or anything like that. Crime was never on my mind. Hearing helicopters might make me tense up a bit, but it wasn't a part of my life. Keep in mind it was much more residential than Savannah. Tampa is not very old and is very spread out in that sense. No one ever needed to walk through my neighborhood to go somewhere, foot traffic was almost non existent.

I am what might be considered a mid 20's "young professional." I live with my girlfriend, and I just think about her being home alone, and that's what I worry about. If it were just me, I may be less afraid.

now for an actual question:
For those of you who actually live in what is considered historic downtown: do you feel comfortable? That's what I'm looking for. I realize there are car break ins, stolen bikes, etc etc; I'm not worried about that. I've always been a bit neurotic, if not a bit paranoid. You'll never catching me leaving a door unlocked. But do you at least have piece of mind?

I really want to live downtown. South-side or Island-side seems too run-of-the-mill similar to where I basically grew up. I want something different. But I want to pick the right block. I know that crime and the overall feeling of safeness seems to vary HIGHLY from block to block. You also can't make a strict no-go list, because that's ridiculous and even a bit insensitive to the people that are living and working in those areas.

Nonetheless, I'm starting to gather that west of MLK, east of E. Broad are generally no-gos.

I've looked at a couple of places near East Broad & Charelton/Macon/Harris Street. What do you all think of this area? I've come to realize that East of E. Broad street has housing projects (concentrated poverty, which is often linked to crime.) However, I feel as though it is still fairly far off from some of the crime? Would you live on what some would characterize as the " western border," of a rough area?

Is it always best to be as far central as possible when downtown?

Ok, Internet, hows about this: When looking at places to rent, I'll post the blocks, then you simply give the thumbs up or thumbs down- cool?

I don't want to end up like the young lady on here who signed a lease before understanding the nuances of her neighborhood, only to find out it was an area none of you demographically-varied-individuals here on city data would ever live in themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,441,275 times
If you want the Historic Area, then, YES. as close to the center (Bul Street) as possible. And.. To the North of Gaston Street.

There are many wonderful spots elsewhere, but if you are just going to try for the most suitable, without real experience in the area your self. stick to the central are. Nothing is 100% safe.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM

10,461 posts, read 21,515,649 times
The east Broad area you're interested in is one of the nicer, less expensive parts of the historic district. if you can find something there, go with it.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,310,011 times
A couple of thoughts come to mind:

You are 1000% correct in " block by block" thinking and searching. That being said, you might not rule out a block if you see a small sec 8 unit on the block. You need to walk that block day and night to see if that house is really a problem before you rule the block out.

East Broad: block by block is all the more important if rent costs are a factor. IMO you will get the biggest bang for your buck, on a bright sunny street, if you check it out carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area