Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,789,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody hammer View Post
Well, i gotta ask... what did you have and how was it?
Well, I was gonna have the seafood platter (choice of three, taters, slaw, pups for $13.99) but settled on the classic club (shaved ham, smoked turkey, on wheat with fries for $6.99). It was good, nothing out of sight. Should have gone with my first choice. Sweet tea and service was awesome as usual (and our server was brand new, still training). Shortly after we were seated, an off-duty cop working security came over and kicked a couple of rowdy dudes out. That's nice

Overall, typical Carey Hilliard's experience. The menu appeared to be updated since my last visit, probably just redesigned and prices adjusted (no longer dirt cheap, understandbly).

Here's something my friend and I discussed which you natives / long-timers can help answer: What's the deal with people pulling up and eating in their cars?! It's NOT a fast-food joint, or a typical burger drive-in by any means. Even the brand new location out in Pooler still offers this, and it's strange. Just get off your butts and go inside and eat people! Who devours a seafood platter in their car?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody hammer View Post
yep Emerald Lounge was the strip club that was kinda over by the civic center.... oglethorpe and something. we tried sneaking in a few times as kids but never pulled it off. unlike that one that was on the southside.... white bluff close to where they built the vo-tec school. we made it into that a few times with no trouble at all. high class it was not.
A strip club in downtown Savannah! My god how times have changed! Somebody recently told me that there used to be an adult book store / XXX video arcade at the corner of W. Bryan and Whitakaker, across from the employee entrance of the old newspaper office. I think that's where Georgia's Own Credit Union is now?

When I first moved to Savannah 20 years ago, a handful of hustlers still worked Bull Street but they were gone by the time "Midnight" became a best seller, ironically.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,107,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
).

Here's something my friend and I discussed which you natives / long-timers can help answer: What's the deal with people pulling up and eating in their cars?! It's NOT a fast-food joint, or a typical burger drive-in by any means. Even the brand new location out in Pooler still offers this, and it's strange. Just get off your butts and go inside and eat people! Who devours a seafood platter in their car?!
Maybe one has a problem with walking and the car is much more comfortable.
Or they have a baby on the back seat asleep.
Or they cough a lot and don't want to upset the next table full of people.

I remember once eating a shrimp platter in the car. I had just gotten out of the hospital...wanted great food, but didn't feel like dressing and putting on shoes. Eating in the car is a lot more comfy than eating in a restaurant. We do it often.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,107,076 times
Let's go waaayy back....back when there were "houses" on Indian Street, Montgomery Street and even Oglethorpe Ave. Back in the 1930s, I was very small but I remember one that was close to the DeRenne Apartments and the old Desoto Hotel where the girls sat out on the sidewalk in their pretty little lacy nighties and robes all day. Just walk by and take your pick. I always thought the nighties were so pretty. I tried to slow down and look but, I was yanked by very quickly. It took me years to understand why I couldn't be nice to the pretty ladies.

My DH tells a story about when he was worked at a car dealership. Business was real slow and the salesmen were getting desperate. One went down to a House on Indian Street and brought back one of the girls, actually sold her a car.. As she was leaving (everyone that could was standing around, gawking.) She invited them all over for a freebie, on her time.

Chatham County was a dry county until fairly recent. No one bothered as this is where the bootleg and smuggled stuff came in. We were all set up when drugs started flowing in too. It was all those little nooks and crannies in the marshes that made it easy.

Now, we've cleaned up the place and have tourists.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM

643 posts, read 841,752 times
Georgias Own is no longer there anymore, which sucks for me because it was right next to one of my jobs!

Now I have to drive to the Mall Blvd location!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 PM

8,028 posts, read 4,708,105 times
I grew up "in the sticks" (when Effingham was considered the hinterlands) and I recall a lot more about Gadren City than I do downtown Savannah, since my mom was not too keen on driving into the city by that time. In addition to the "older" Carey Hilliard's being our idea of "going out to eat", the drive-in movie theater behind it was always our destination for a fun night. Saw Smokey and the Bandit there, as well as several others I barely remember. The shopping center down the street had a Woolworth's with a pet department, which was fascinating to a kid like me. My mom bought her hideous 1970s polyester outfits at a boutique called Diana Shops, which was close to Woolie's. And across the street was a Hardee's that was my (young) idea of good food.

I believe one of my "photos with Santa" was taken in the Western Auto in that shopping center, too.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM

29 posts, read 66,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, I was gonna have the seafood platter (choice of three, taters, slaw, pups for $13.99) but settled on the classic club (shaved ham, smoked turkey, on wheat with fries for $6.99). It was good, nothing out of sight. Should have gone with my first choice. Sweet tea and service was awesome as usual (and our server was brand new, still training). Shortly after we were seated, an off-duty cop working security came over and kicked a couple of rowdy dudes out. That's nice

Overall, typical Carey Hilliard's experience. The menu appeared to be updated since my last visit, probably just redesigned and prices adjusted (no longer dirt cheap, understandbly).

we would use the curbside service pretty often but usually just picking it up to take home.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I grew up "in the sticks" (when Effingham was considered the hinterlands) and I recall a lot more about Gadren City than I do downtown Savannah, since my mom was not too keen on driving into the city by that time. In addition to the "older" Carey Hilliard's being our idea of "going out to eat", the drive-in movie theater behind it was always our destination for a fun night. Saw Smokey and the Bandit there, as well as several others I barely remember. The shopping center down the street had a Woolworth's with a pet department, which was fascinating to a kid like me. My mom bought her hideous 1970s polyester outfits at a boutique called Diana Shops, which was close to Woolie's. And across the street was a Hardee's that was my (young) idea of good food.

I believe one of my "photos with Santa" was taken in the Western Auto in that shopping center, too.

in savannah we had the drive-in theater over by Memorial stadium.... I forget the name of it.

pretty sure I remember a Woolworths on Broughton Street. but I for sure remember one in Garden City because my girlfriend's grandma worked there. she would let me use her employee discount to buy 8-track tapes for my car. the store wasn't far from the "highway" and I remember there were train tracks I had to cross. that's about all I remember of Garden City... except of course the wonderful smell of the paper mill.

Western Auto... I haven't heard of or even thought of that store in many years. they are long gone, I'm guessing.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's go waaayy back....back when there were "houses" on Indian Street, Montgomery Street and even Oglethorpe Ave. Back in the 1930s, I was very small but I remember one that was close to the DeRenne Apartments and the old Desoto Hotel where the girls sat out on the sidewalk in their pretty little lacy nighties and robes all day. Just walk by and take your pick. I always thought the nighties were so pretty. I tried to slow down and look but, I was yanked by very quickly. It took me years to understand why I couldn't be nice to the pretty ladies.

My DH tells a story about when he was worked at a car dealership. Business was real slow and the salesmen were getting desperate. One went down to a House on Indian Street and brought back one of the girls, actually sold her a car.. As she was leaving (everyone that could was standing around, gawking.) She invited them all over for a freebie, on her time.

Chatham County was a dry county until fairly recent. No one bothered as this is where the bootleg and smuggled stuff came in. We were all set up when drugs started flowing in too. It was all those little nooks and crannies in the marshes that made it easy.

Now, we've cleaned up the place and have tourists.

Good lord! you go back A LOT farther than I do. and here I was thinking I remembered so much.
I bet you remember when River Street was a dirt road. I do not but I have heard it talked about.

I do remember when River Street was a lot wilder and not all that geared towards tourist. at night they did not chain off the roads and there'd be a bunch of us driving up and down the road. everybody was drunk, lots of drugs, and no shortage of fights.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Woolworths was on the SW corner of Broughton and Abercorn, directly across Abercorn from Levy's Department Store. I know this because the Woolworth name is still imbedded in the sidewalk, as are the names of many of the original stores on Broughton Street. It's fascinating to walk down the street reading these old store nameplates today.

BTW -- Does anybody remember what Levy's was like? It was closed and abandoned when I moved here in 1992, though there were still naked mannequins in the display windows. Today, of course, the building houses the fabulous SCAD Jen Memorial Library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area