Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM

29 posts, read 67,486 times

Advertisements

Wasn't Levy's a jewelry store? that's about all I remember.

I don't know how to say this other than saying it... when I was younger, Broughton St was a little on the run down side and it was mostly just black folks that shopped there. that was in the late 70's and 80's.... and nothing like it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody hammer View Post
Wasn't Levy's a jewelry store? that's about all I remember.

I don't know how to say this other than saying it... when I was younger Broughton St was a little on the run down side and it was mostly black folks that shopped there. that was in the late 70's and 80's.... and nothing like it is now.
No, there were TWO Levy's stores (same family I think). Levy's Jewelers was at the SE corner of Drayton and Broughton until just last month when they located to the corner of Broughton and Bull -- the No 1 address in all of downtown! They bought, gutted and renovated the space that for several years housed Italian eatery Il Pasticcio and before that was Lerner Shops (until Levy's redid the building, you could still make out the script "Lerner's" logo up the side of the cubist building). Levy's Jewelers spent MILLIONS on the new store and it shows -- a beautiful, elegant, glamorous throwback to Broughton's heyday.U

Levy's DEPARTMENT store took up an entire city block at the corner of Abercorn and Broughton, across from the Weis Theater (now SCAD's Trustees Theater). The store was sold to Federated and the name was changed to Mass Brothers and then Jordan-Marsh before they finally closed, which is why you may not remember the Levy's name.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Not sure if it's still around but there used to a really great bakery downtown called Gottlieb's. I went to school with a guy whose dad ran the nightshift at the bakery. he'd let us come back there and munch on treats. they made these things called "chocolate chewies" that we're damn good.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
No, there were TWO Levy's stores (same family I think). Levy's Jewelers was at the SE corner of Drayton and Broughton until just last month when they located to the corner of Broughton and Bull -- the No 1 address in all of downtown! They bought, gutted and renovated the space that for several years housed Italian eatery Il Pasticcio and before that was Lerner Shops (until Levy's redid the building, you could still make out the script "Lerner's" logo up the side of the cubist building). Levy's Jewelers spent MILLIONS on the new store and it shows -- a beautiful, elegant, glamorous throwback to Broughton's heyday.U

Levy's DEPARTMENT store took up an entire city block at the corner of Abercorn and Broughton, across from the Weis Theater (now SCAD's Trustees Theater). The store was sold to Federated and the name was changed to Mass Brothers and then Jordan-Marsh before they finally closed, which is why you may not remember the Levy's name.

you know... I honestly don't remember that building but it is SO Savannah looking. nice photo.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,203,390 times
Quote:
Good lord! you go back A LOT farther than I do. and here I was thinking I remembered so much.
I bet you remember when River Street was a dirt road. I do not but I have heard it talked about.

I do remember when River Street was a lot wilder and not all that geared towards tourist. at night they did not chain off the roads and there'd be a bunch of us driving up and down the road. everybody was drunk, lots of drugs, and no shortage of fights.
I don't ever remember it being a dirt road. It wasn't something that anyone except those that worked at the towing company, etc. used. I think it was cobblestone that had picked up scads of dirt on top over the years. My mother would not have driven there on a bet. When I got old enough to date....we drove to Tybee at night.

There was a Levy's department store where the SCAD building is now. Levy Jewelers was to the west of it a couple of blocks down. Adler's was the other major department store.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure if it's still around but there used to a really great bakery downtown called Gottlieb's. I went to school with a guy whose dad ran the nightshift at the bakery. he'd let us come back there and munch on treats. they made these things called "chocolate chewies" that we're damn good.
Gottlieb's has been gone for years. There was an ill-fated attempt to revive it awhile back but it failed miserably. Leopold's Ice Cream has been restored and is one of the most popular tourist attractions downtown. Byrd Cookie Company also continues to flourish and recently opened a new retail location downtown in City Market. They still line up down the block and around the corner M-F to get into Mrs. Wilkes.

I'm starting to wonder BH -- just how long have you been gone? When was your last visit?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 PM

643 posts, read 847,143 times
Quote:

That pic is the SCAD Library now correct? WOW!

I was watching old home movies my dad had from driving around downtown Savannah in the late 70's when my parents first got here. While the names and stores have changed, the feel and look of the oglethorpe and liberty still looked relatively the same.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

I was watching old home movies my dad had from driving around downtown Savannah in the late 70's when my parents first got here. While the names and stores have changed, the feel and look of the oglethorpe and liberty still looked relatively the same.
That BUILDING is now the SCAD library but the pic is from the 1980s when it was still a department store. If you look close, the marquis reads MAAS BROS.

Would love to see those old home movies.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Gottlieb's has been gone for years. There was an ill-fated attempt to revive it awhile back but it failed miserably. Leopold's Ice Cream has been restored and is one of the most popular tourist attractions downtown. Byrd Cookie Company also continues to flourish and recently opened a new retail location downtown in City Market. They still line up down the block and around the corner M-F to get into Mrs. Wilkes.

I'm starting to wonder BH -- just how long have you been gone? When was your last visit?

I had but all forgotten about Byrd Cookies. There's a little neighborhood called "Sandfly" not too far from Memorial Stadium where i seem to remember there being a Byrd Cookie place... at least there was a big sign. The only reason we ever went to Sandfly was because there was a drive-thru package store that usually would not card us for beer. I actually remember the name of the place... Newton's.

Ah, Mrs Wilkes... i was glad for her when the place got so popular but the long lines made me not want to go... except to get a to go box out the back door.

I left Savannah the first time around '86 or '87. Came back around '94 and then left again in '97. I haven't been back since then for no other reason than life has been busy. I no longer have any family there and my friends have either moved or dropped off the radar completely. Just the other day I was saying to someone... if I were to visit Savannah now I would probably feel like a tourist.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

I guess most of downtown wasn't all that different looking in the late 70's but Broughton Street sure was, let me tell you. It was shabby and dying... nothing like what it is today (as I understand it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area