Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a fixer upper in Savannah as a 2nd home near some family. Not a flip, I'm going to live there 6-10 weeks a year. The City of Savannah Codes and Guideline website is pretty vague about building permit requirements. Clearly new construction, electrical service, HVAC replacement and other major work requires permits, and I'd hire a licensed contractor for those. However, there's no guidance regarding 'skilled homeowner upgrades.' I could replace drywall and paneling. I would install new plumbing fixtures. I might run a little Romex to change the light or receptacle placement. Nothing major, typical Home Depot warrior stuff.

My question is, how stringent are the local codes on these types of things? Odds are that nobody knows or tracks what happens inside my walls, but I don't want to deliberately run afoul of some regulations and incur a penalty. If I have a truck loaded with material backed up to the door, is some city inspector on the prowl likely to poke his head in the door? I'm not looking to put something over, just want to tend to my own property with minimal bureaucracy. Any experience with this? Any links to specific guidelines, limits or thresholds that govern permit requirements?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM

11,363 posts, read 24,317,763 times
They're often very helpful if you call and ask. Building Permits: (912) 651-6530

Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,631,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthrud View Post
I'm considering buying a fixer upper in Savannah as a 2nd home near some family. Not a flip, I'm going to live there 6-10 weeks a year. The City of Savannah Codes and Guideline website is pretty vague about building permit requirements. Clearly new construction, electrical service, HVAC replacement and other major work requires permits, and I'd hire a licensed contractor for those. However, there's no guidance regarding 'skilled homeowner upgrades.' I could replace drywall and paneling. I would install new plumbing fixtures. I might run a little Romex to change the light or receptacle placement. Nothing major, typical Home Depot warrior stuff.

My question is, how stringent are the local codes on these types of things? Odds are that nobody knows or tracks what happens inside my walls, but I don't want to deliberately run afoul of some regulations and incur a penalty. If I have a truck loaded with material backed up to the door, is some city inspector on the prowl likely to poke his head in the door? I'm not looking to put something over, just want to tend to my own property with minimal bureaucracy. Any experience with this? Any links to specific guidelines, limits or thresholds that govern permit requirements?

Thanks.

A dumpster out front or a pick up truck loaded with material or trash will have an inspector there in a heartbeat. That's not to say you can't do your own work as a homeowner. The regs are a bit vague you just need to keep reading the nuances. Or as Ellie said contact the B. department. Better yet go there (on Abercorn).

If you really screw up and work without a permit that was necessary you will get a "red tag" on the house. That's a stop work order. Can cost as much as 2500 bux!

Make certain what you're doing is what you are entitled to do.

The city just luvs to collect money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: