Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 24,520 times

Advertisements

I'm sure their are tons of other threads about crime and safety in Savannah Neighborhoods, but I still need some help. I'm hearing both sides about the crime, I can't imagine it being really THAT bad. I think part of it is common sense and being smart and aware of your surroundings.

We are looking to buy a fixer upper in Savannah for my mother-in-law to live in. She is relocating to the area. We aren't looking for anything fancy, trying to find a home in a neighborhood that is relatively safe that a 50+ Single Woman can feel comfortable. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta.

I'm seeing homes in our price range available in these areas that look nice - it's so hard to tell from the internet though, what can someone tell me about them? Were planning a visit soon to see for ourselves but would like to hear some insight.

-Avondale
-White Oak
-Sackville
-The area East of Harry Truman Parkway and South of 80/Victory Drive.
-Oakland Park
-Forest Park

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I hate to bring this up, but how comfortable she will be will depend a lot on what ethnic group she belongs to.
For example, there is one neighborhood that is heavily jewish because they want to be able to walk to the Temple on the Sabbath. Would this bother her? There are similar neighborhood, latino, vietnam, catholic, black, white....be sure to check this out. Some of our older sections reflect the patterns from the days of segregation. Visit neighborhoods after dark to see if there is a lot of young gang-type groups hanging out.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
File:Savannah Neighborhoods.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm. You know, there are parts that are just fine and others that are a little sketchy.

This is a larger grain crime map. Can't vouch for how accurate it is but anything that's medium blue and darker is worth checking into. Savannah GA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

For instance, Gordonston is the second lightest blue color. It's an ageing affluent suburb that's surrounded by poorer neighborhoods. I'm sure property crime is relatively high, but you might not get mugged or shot if you're reasonably careful. Probably not too many drug dealers living there.

In contrast, Pine Gardens and Capital St. neighborhoods look and feel pretty rough - plenty of thuggish characters --but they are rated as safer than Gordonston. Either crime doesn't get reported or there simply just isn't just as much attractive stuff to steal. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area