Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

I started to file this under the "restaurant reviews" header but decided it needed its own category.

There was a lot of opposition to this place opening on River Street -- Indeed, the local restaurant groups do a very good job of discouraging any national brand names from locating in the historic district. I'm here to tell ya, Joe's proves them totally full of BS! This place is far more than just an EXCELLENT repurposing of the unsightly tugboat terminal on the east end of River Street, it's an exciting and energetic restaurant concept that fits PERFECTLY into Savannah's tourist market and -- MOST IMPORTANTLY -- that pays TOP wages and FULL benefits. Sorry to say but we need more JOE'S in this city, where the majority of popular tourist restaurants are controlled by just 2-3 "bubba" owned local companies that crap on their employees and treat them like ****.

JOE'S = Great food + great atmosphere + competitive prices + good wages

Check it out! You will NOT be disappointed!

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-28-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
If they're paying well and offering benefits, you know their neighbors are scared.

Do you have any data about what they pay vs. Tubbys or Huey's? That would be worth publicizing.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I am glad to hear this. I saw the building for the first time from across the river last weekend and thought it looked a bit ordinary. I was expecting more of a "fish shack" type of architecture.
What did you have to eat, and was it good? I'm afraid to go there because my experience in Myrtle Beach wasn't good. My impression of Joe's is that there isn't a fresh piece of fish in the whole place.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If they're paying well and offering benefits, you know their neighbors are scared.

Do you have any data about what they pay vs. Tubbys or Huey's? That would be worth publicizing.
No I don't Ellie, but I specifically asked THREE different employees who all said they came from other restaurants on the river and were all making great money AND getting full medical from Day 1. That's unheard of in that industry.

Of course the place is brand new and in a honeymoon stage. They'll have lots of turnover and some people will sour on them for whatever reason. But still, they may have single-handedly raised the bar in this town for F&B workers and that's a good thing.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
JCS is part of stockholder-owned Landrys. They're #2 in chain seafood behind Darden, so they will obviously have more resources to pull from than the "local bubba's" as you so "eloquently" put it. Just keep a few things in mind:

The local bubba's buy locally.
The local bubba's know what's fresh & in season
The local bubba's know their market.

As for me, I prefer local seafood, prepared by locals. If you wish to engage in "dining activism", while rather silly, that's you choice. One national chain moving into an established "local culinary zone" won't change things a bit.

Those of you with a rudimentary understanding of profit margin & ROI understand that this doesn't change the playing field one bit. JCS will operate with a finite number of employees. The incentive for other restaurants to follow suit regarding benefits simply isn't there!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM

421 posts, read 749,595 times
Joe's Crab Shack Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

Those wages don't look very good to me. Seems right on par with service jobs.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
I can't help but wonder where the money to pay all those wonderful salaries and benefits comes from.

Would the other restaurants have to raise their prices?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM

I don't care what you say ... This is my third time at Joe's and THIS PLACE ROCKS! So much fun! All the other hometown eateries on River Street could learn a lot from this place.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
OK, OK, I'll go there. What did you have?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, OK, I'll go there. What did you have?
I've had Joes Atomic Iced Tea (like LI Iced Tea but better), the Crab Poppers, Calamari, Crab Dip and the Seafood Trio -- Broiled Snapper with New Orleans Creole Sauce (Andouille sausage), stuffed shrimp and clam stuffers (clam shells stuffed with clam and crab). YUM ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area