Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times

Advertisements

My fam moved to Savannah just before 2012 year end. We're currently renting outside downtown but would like to buy a historic home this summer in an area easily walkable to restaurants, shops, etc. I've been narrowing in on a few promising locales, e.g. west of Drayton/south of 37th (Starland area (?)), north of Starland, and also further east in the Bull/Abercorn corridor just north of Victory. My partner and I are expecting a child so safety is of concern but we're also from Philly so have a higher crime tolerance. I'd like to spend <$300K on a home. Am I looking in the right areas? BTW, I understand the school issue and will buy in Ardsley if absolutely necessary. Also I couldn't find frequency information on the railway that runs through Thomas Square - is this a nuisance to homeowners in that area? The information posted on this board has been incredibly helpful for us when deciding to relocate to Savannah to begin with so I appreciate in advance any info you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
It runs fairly often, but I'm not sure if it is every day. More like once a few times a week or so...? They also transport hazardous materials to the industries on the east side via that line.

Is it a nuisance? Depends on who you ask. Over the years, I've known several people who lived adjacent to it. I guess it's one of those things you get used to or you don't live there.

Last edited by ellie; 04-07-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
'once a few times a week or so' is manageable -thanks! I read an article that the city struck a deal with the rail line to restrict the hours between 12-5am so I was worried the trains must run throughout the day. What are your feelings on that area (north of victory between bull and abercorn) generally? Someone mentioned in a previous thread that more restoration might be happening on the east side of savannah (waters street area).

Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
On the whole, I think the area between Bull and Abercorn is not bad. There are a few weak links where the integrity of the neighborhood fabric will be hard to mend, but they are not very large. I'd even say things are good all the way from Whitaker to Habersham. If current and potential residents & business owners would join forces to solve the remaining blight issues in that key corridor; well, you'd have a bright and vibrant area from Victory Dr. to the river.

Headed east/west along Henry/Anderson , I've noticed a lot of progress. It's weaker because there are no strong destinations at either end, though Gordonston is still a nice neighborhood. All you have at MLK is that lousy housing project. We need more focused mixed use development to augment what's there already. Still, it looks like there are a lot of youngish people moving towards the east, based on the foot/bike traffic I've noticed recently.

There are good things happening along Waters towards Gwinnett/Wheaton St., but there needs to be more than pretty architecture driving it. Headed south along Waters, I'm still reminded of all the gang activity near 37th. If someone could solve that localized problem, well, things would improve drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area