Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 19,238 times

Advertisements

Look at Richmond Hill. Great schools, good prices and quiet. Contact Randy Bocook or Drew Doheny @ Remax/Accent 912-572-4663. They can help with housing needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 PM

726 posts, read 3,594,224 times
Quote:
Is that Jacob Smith a Magnet Program?
Yes, I recently learned that a neighbor has their children there

there are so many more opportunities available to students in SCCPSC than to those in the outer counties

Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 PM

55 posts, read 295,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Yes, I recently learned that a neighbor has their children there

there are so many more opportunities available to students in SCCPSC than to those in the outer counties
SCCPSC ? What exactly does that mean. If you meant Savannah Christian Prep Academy then I'd say your right. However, I can see paying 20K this year. I could probably make it work somehow but sheesh. WOuld mean wife would be working for them lol. WHich is ok I guess. Gotta be a good alternative though lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1 View Post
Look at Richmond Hill. Great schools, good prices and quiet. Contact Randy Bocook or Drew Doheny @ Remax/Accent 912-572-4663. They can help with housing needs.
Thanks for the tip. But I'm not really looking to buy. I own a house in Georgetown. At best I'd consider selling it or renting it out again and just opting to live on post at Hunter AAF. But our plans are to move back into our house in July 08.

Schooling is our only concern.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,989 times
Default Georgetown Homeowners Association

I have lived in Georgetown for 7 yrs now. When I moved in the associations fees were reasonable, now they are talking about doubling the fees to the $50.00 a month range. The "rulers" in charge of the association have no restraints on how much money they can spend. We just had a pool repair job to the tune of $400,000 plus, and now we have to pay for their extravagants. When we have meetings the few homeowners who have the nerve to attend and questions their actions are told in now uncertain terms they have no power. The board is condescending and mean-spirited. They have so much power I don't even feel like a property owner, because I am not. I'm at the mercy of the "Covenant", that apparently invincible document that was drawn up when the community was established. When someone protest anything they are summarily told they can move if they don't like it. I would love to, but who in their right mind is going to pay $150,000 for a house and $50.00 a month in association fees. Southbridge, a really upscale neighborhood on the Westside of Savannah, doesn't have fees that high and they have much better ammenities. So in the future, if I can sell my house, you can bet I won't ever live in an association "protected" neighborhood again. Think about that before you move there and remember you may pay the mortagage but you are at the mercy of the association, and they have to power to take your home away from you if you don't tow the line. I feel like I bought a house in Savannah and woke up in North Korea.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 121,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
SCCPSC ? What exactly does that mean. If you meant Savannah Christian Prep Academy then I'd say your right. However, I can see paying 20K this year. I could probably make it work somehow but sheesh. WOuld mean wife would be working for them lol. WHich is ok I guess. Gotta be a good alternative though lol.
I would NOT send my kids to Savannah Christian. I have encountered quite a few graduates in my profession, and they do not impress me. I also have it on good authority that Savannah Christian is not with it academically.

Look at St. James Catholic School or Richmond Hill area for schooling.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae1 View Post
I have lived in Georgetown for 7 yrs now. When I moved in the associations fees were reasonable, now they are talking about doubling the fees to the $50.00 a month range. The "rulers" in charge of the association have no restraints on how much money they can spend. We just had a pool repair job to the tune of $400,000 plus, and now we have to pay for their extravagants. When we have meetings the few homeowners who have the nerve to attend and questions their actions are told in now uncertain terms they have no power. The board is condescending and mean-spirited. They have so much power I don't even feel like a property owner, because I am not. I'm at the mercy of the "Covenant", that apparently invincible document that was drawn up when the community was established. When someone protest anything they are summarily told they can move if they don't like it. I would love to, but who in their right mind is going to pay $150,000 for a house and $50.00 a month in association fees. Southbridge, a really upscale neighborhood on the Westside of Savannah, doesn't have fees that high and they have much better ammenities. So in the future, if I can sell my house, you can bet I won't ever live in an association "protected" neighborhood again. Think about that before you move there and remember you may pay the mortagage but you are at the mercy of the association, and they have to power to take your home away from you if you don't tow the line. I feel like I bought a house in Savannah and woke up in North Korea.
Shame I'm already a homeowner there, yikes!!! I did wonder why it seems every year the association fees are going up. But since I got stationed in Hawaii all I've had to deal with is there certified mail for a increase or some yard violation my tenant is abiding.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoth View Post
I would NOT send my kids to Savannah Christian. I have encountered quite a few graduates in my profession, and they do not impress me. I also have it on good authority that Savannah Christian is not with it academically.

Look at St. James Catholic School or Richmond Hill area for schooling.

I wish I'd bought in Richmond Hill five years ago like I did in Georgetown. I really like that area but we opted to live closer to the base.

Plus, how is Chatham country and Richmond Hill (Don't know the county) about going to school outside there assigned zoning? Where I'm from they have open enrollment but something tells me that is not case there?

Thanks for the tips.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 PM

726 posts, read 3,594,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
Plus, how is Chatham country and Richmond Hill (Don't know the county) about going to school outside there assigned zoning? Where I'm from they have open enrollment but something tells me that is not case there?
RHill is in Bryan Countyand has no options for open enrollment
The magnets or Academies and Charter schools in SCCPSS are open enrollment Programs

SCCPSS= Savannah-Chatham County Public School System
Oglethorpe and Savannah Arts are totally open enrollment. In the academies, the special programs are open enrollment;
SAA even takes students from Effingham and Bryan

St. James Catholic School????????

Vox Populi: Welcome home, 165th Airlift Wing. Great job. | SavannahNow.com
"Savannah Arts Academy pushed my daughter for four years and now she is pushing A's in college."

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/71BD27A4-F15A-46D4-9F4F-5C8529CEA229/17294/200708GeorgiaScholasticArtAwards.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/2373BA87-64AF-4163-801C-AE0C826D4758/7445/SAAFall2006NewspaperWholeandFinalforWeb2ndEdition1 .pdf (broken link)

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 11-14-2007 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
RHill is in Bryan Countyand has no options for open enrollment
The magnets or Academies and Charter schools in SCCPSS are open enrollment Programs

SCCPSS= Savannah-Chatham County Public School System
Oglethorpe and Savannah Arts are totally open enrollment. In the academies, the special programs are open enrollment;
SAA even takes students from Effingham and Bryan

St. James Catholic School????????

Vox Populi: Welcome home, 165th Airlift Wing. Great job. | SavannahNow.com
"Savannah Arts Academy pushed my daughter for four years and now she is pushing A's in college."

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/71BD27A4-F15A-46D4-9F4F-5C8529CEA229/17294/200708GeorgiaScholasticArtAwards.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/2373BA87-64AF-4163-801C-AE0C826D4758/7445/SAAFall2006NewspaperWholeandFinalforWeb2ndEdition1 .pdf (broken link)
Savannah Arts Academy is the first dedicated performing and visual arts school in Savannah, Georgia. Students concentrate in one of the arts majors: communication arts, dance, instrumental and/or vocal music, theatre arts, and visual arts.

Sounds like something my wife would love. But I'm looking for elementary programs from website says its for high school aged children. But the accomplishments of the school are top notch. I imagine you have to be a true braniac to get into that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area