Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I was just watching North America. They showed an area "near Savannah" where, when the tide is at its lowest, a few dolphins have learned to herd fish, then flip them onto shore where they (and a lot of lucky shorebirds) can easily eat them.
The dolphins get about half way out of the water, and risk getting stranded in the mud. It seemed like the narrator was saying this is the only place this happens, and it required the dolphins to plan it and execute it.
Anyone ever hear of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
This is a new one on me. I think someone is just passing on a old folk tale. My question is that since dolphins are supposed to be so smart.....why are they going to all that trouble when just swimming up to the fish and grabbing would do the same thing...and a lot faster.

Of course, it's possible they are just playing and having some extra fun. Eating a fish that has been flopping around in the mud can't be as nice as eating a clean one.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I've seen it several times. Once, last year or maybe the year before, I watched a pair of dolphins chase small fish onto the bank nineteen times over the course of about a half an hour - yes, I counted. It was low tide and the dolphins gradually worked their way upriver, throwing their bodies up onto the mud every hundred feet or so, and rolling on their sides to eat the fish. Then they'd roll back down into the water and start the process over.

I was so amazed. I've also seen it, more briefly, down on Cumberland and St. Catherine's.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Really!!!!! I had no idea! As long as my family has been around the water, I had never heard of such a thing. Amazing!! Thanks Ellie!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is a new one on me. I think someone is just passing on a old folk tale. My question is that since dolphins are supposed to be so smart.....why are they going to all that trouble when just swimming up to the fish and grabbing would do the same thing...and a lot faster.

Of course, it's possible they are just playing and having some extra fun. Eating a fish that has been flopping around in the mud can't be as nice as eating a clean one.
No, they showed them doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area