U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,732 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have a reciept showing I paid my landlord $350 for rent and $350 for deposit for one month on 5/11/2013. Which landlord and I both signed. Would this stand in court as a lease if I have to go to court for my security deposit to be returned to me.
By the way my one month ended on June 11th 2013 and I sent a notice about me not renting the following month and a request for my deposit to be returned to me two weeks prior to June 11th 2013 when my one month would be over.

I am asking this because the land lord wont return my calls and I sent the letter certified mail with tracking number and she still hasnt signed for it yet. I have a feeling I may need to take her to court in order to recieve my deposit back.

Any advice on this would be most helpful....

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,532,188 times
Reputation: 7394
I may be mistaken, but I think that a security deposit is kept until the tenant moves and the apartment can then be checked for any damage and the cost of repair.

You might be out of luck trying to get it back sooner than that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,732 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think that a security deposit is kept until the tenant moves and the apartment can then be checked for any damage and the cost of repair.

You might be out of luck trying to get it back sooner than that.

Thanks Padgett2 I dont mind waiting, we never did a move in inspection prior to me moving in but I do have a few pics of the place... I have already moved out of the room. I just wanna be sure in case I have to go to court that the reciept I have would stand since its not a long drawn out lease. Do you know when is a landlord required to return deposit if no damage is found?

Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
 
7,126 posts, read 10,365,427 times
Reputation: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalChick321 View Post
Thanks Padgett2 I dont mind waiting, we never did a move in inspection prior to me moving in but I do have a few pics of the place... I have already moved out of the room. I just wanna be sure in case I have to go to court that the reciept I have would stand since its not a long drawn out lease. Do you know when is a landlord required to return deposit if no damage is found?

Thanks so much

GA. law=30 days
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM
 
7,126 posts, read 10,365,427 times
Reputation: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalChick321 View Post
I have a reciept showing I paid my landlord $350 for rent and $350 for deposit for one month on 5/11/2013. Which landlord and I both signed. Would this stand in court as a lease if I have to go to court for my security deposit to be returned to me.
By the way my one month ended on June 11th 2013 and I sent a notice about me not renting the following month and a request for my deposit to be returned to me two weeks prior to June 11th 2013 when my one month would be over.

I am asking this because the land lord wont return my calls and I sent the letter certified mail with tracking number and she still hasnt signed for it yet. I have a feeling I may need to take her to court in order to recieve my deposit back.

Any advice on this would be most helpful....

Thanks in advance
Did you rent for only one month? I think, not 100% sure, you need to give 30 days notice. You didn't. Maybe a problem. If LL knows the law he might be planning to keep your deposit to satisfy the month's rent..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,732 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Did you rent for only one month? I think, not 100% sure, you need to give 30 days notice. You didn't. Maybe a problem. If LL knows the law he might be planning to keep your deposit to satisfy the month's rent..
Thanks pink caddy

Before I moved in my landlord said she require a two week notice. The only paper work I have is my receipt for what I paid which was for one month. Also still waiting to see if she received my notice through certified mail which she hasn't signed for yet since I haven't gotten any green card that she received it from the post office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 AM
 
7,126 posts, read 10,365,427 times
Reputation: 2578
I wouldn't count on the return of the security deposit just yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM
 
7,126 posts, read 10,365,427 times
Reputation: 2578
ETA: You would have to bring this to Small Claims court, in order to sue. Then the best you could do is win a judgement against the LL. Would only happen if she didn't show up and the court accepted your paper work.THEN, you need to collect on the judgement. THERE'S the problem. I doubt seriously if there's any way you can do that.

BTW there is a legal aide at the court house that will help you thru to the process if you decide to go further.( Free, but the court filing fee is, I think, around $25)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,732 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
ETA: You would have to bring this to Small Claims court, in order to sue. Then the best you could do is win a judgement against the LL. Would only happen if she didn't show up and the court accepted your paper work.THEN, you need to collect on the judgement. THERE'S the problem. I doubt seriously if there's any way you can do that.

BTW there is a legal aide at the court house that will help you thru to the process if you decide to go further.( Free, but the court filing fee is, I think, around $25)
Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
 
10 posts, read 8,268 times
Reputation: 18
I was thinking bout renting a room in Savannah I hope I don't get the same landlord. I wonder if she plans ahead and keeps everyones deposit hoping that it will be too much of a hastle for them to take her to court. I think you can ask them to waive the filing fee if you can show you cant really afford it. Most courts have a form for that but only tell people about it if they ask. Why did you stay there such a short time. Do u have any suggestions for someone just starting to look since you have been through it?

Last edited by cah19145; 06-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top