Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times

Advertisements

We're not supposed to bicker or attack each other here.

I believe most of us prejudge others based on appearances and other attributes. Dealing with it is an active process. You have to deal with individuals.

I don't deny being uncomfortable around young men who are dressed in a certain way or are in particular neighborhoods gathered on street corners or approaching me for no reason --till I can tell WHO they are and what're up to. Normal common sense.

But I've also chosen to live in poor, racially mixed neighborhoods and attended normal, non-elite public schools in the South. I've probably got a bad case of white guilt, if anything.

I probably know more about Paula than many of you, and I don't like what she became, what she symbolized. Even among her closest associates, it was widely acknowledged that something was bound to happen: not if, but when.

She's a public figure, for good or bad.

Last edited by ellie; 06-21-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
To continue: I read a good chunk of Paula's testimony this morning. Her past racist remarks are as much a red herring as anything. The problem is that she was aware her brother was making other people uncomfortable and didn't take action. She just played along cracking tasteless jokes with little or no sensitivity to the effect it was having on their employees. And that's just the part I read.

She may have been held to a higher standard than you or I, but she also benefitted from that status.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
The whole situation is pathetic. The have-nots eventually turn their knives on the haves, especially if they're self-made.
I pray that the Food Network implodes over this . They suck.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Now I have heard the latest research is that it's not the number for cholesterol anymore but whether you have small or large cholesterol. Small being able to pass easier and less likely to form clots than large. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not sure (speaking of "small and large") your're talking about sickle cell anemia or kidney stones.

Cholesterol countsl generally uses laymen's terms such as "good or bad".

What's the source of "the latest research" as I would like to discuss with my internist for affirmation?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
To continue: I read a good chunk of Paula's testimony this morning. Her past racist remarks are as much a red herring as anything. The problem is that she was aware her brother was making other people uncomfortable and didn't take action. She just played along cracking tasteless jokes with little or no sensitivity to the effect it was having on their employees. And that's just the part I read.

She may have been held to a higher standard than you or I, but she also benefitted from that status.
Exactly.

She could have stopped this madness in its early stages before it turned ugly, but she kept poking at it, so to speak. She reaped what she sewed.

I hope, for her sake, she genuinely meant those apologies. Unfortunately, for Food Network, it was too little too late.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'm not sure (speaking of "small and large") your're talking about sickle cell anemia or kidney stones.

Cholesterol countsl generally uses laymen's terms such as "good or bad".

What's the source of "the latest research" as I would like to discuss with my internist for affirmation?
‘Bad cholesterol’: It’s not what you think - Health - Heart health | NBC News

Johns Hopkins: Heart Health on LDL cholesterol particle size: Special Reports

Living Longer and Larger - It's in the Size of Cholesterol-Carrying Molecules - NYTimes.com

Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 10,957 times
Open mouth insert foot,,,,,,,KARMA wins in the END!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Frankly, I am surprised at those of you defending her. You might as well cut yourselves from the same cloth. She knew her brother acted this way and continued to allow it. She even cooked up that fantasy wedding for him, complete with all-black liveried waiters dressed in white tie. You think that was her brother's idea? And this isn't going to hurt Savannah at all. People don't come to Savannah just to eat at one of her restaurants. It's just a side show to the main attraction which is the city, and once people have gone to her restaurants, most don't go back. She then hid being a diabetic, continuing to cook heavily buttered and sugared food for years until she was offered a position as spokesperson for Diabetes, i.e., until it would profit her. This further proves what kind of a person she really is. Paula Deen, in my opinion, is getting her "just desserts", complete with extra butter.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Frankly, I am surprised at those of you defending her. You might as well cut yourselves from the same cloth.

Do the math: Over 400 views. I counted three(3) people that posted here that "kinda 'defended her' ".

And they didn't do it with conviction IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area