Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,231 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I am starting graduate school at SCAD this September. I am really excited, but I've only been to Savannah a few times. A couple of people told me I should live on Whitemarsh Island. Does anyone have any information about good/safe apartment complexes there? I read that The Merritt and Islandtree are pretty decent. I am also not opposed to living downtown, as long as it's safe! I am going down to Savannah at the end of this month to search around for housing. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:32 PM

236 posts, read 698,687 times
Congratulations on grad school.

A lot depends on your available funds. If you've got a vehicle and you're willing to spring for gas money then the Islands would be nice. They are safe and semi-affordable depending on what you're used to.

However, if I (and I'm not) were going to SCAD I would live downtown. The market is ripe for you to pick up a condo or studio in the historic district that you could share with someone to help with the costs. Downtown isn't cheap but it offers a nice parallel to the inspiration that you'll be getting at SCAD on a daily basis. You wouldn't need a car because everything would be easily within walking or biking distance to your residence and the various campus facilities.

I live on 55th Street in Midtown and love it. You could rent a carriage house in Ardsley Park and ride a bike to class. Crime is an issue in Savannah much like in other cities of similiar size. As long as you're mildly intelligent, you can avoid putting yourself in a situation where you'll make the nightly news.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 28,532 times
Yes I have to second gapowermike suggestion about living in the downtown area if your going to scad. Like he said you wouldn't need to bring a car. Plus scad provides transportation for pretty much all of Savannah and you can also ride the CAT ( Chatham Area Transit) which is ok. It will get you where you need to go. Traffic can get very heavy in Savannah so not having a car might save you a headache.

Rent downtown isn't that bad and pretty reasonable. I attend Armstrong University on the southside of Savannah and many of my friends live downtown cause its much cheaper then living on the southside.

As gapowermike stated crime is here but no different then if you was living in any other major city. The City of Savannah is working on improving the safty downtown so basicly if you use common sense and not walk around at 3:00am alone with your ipod pluged in your ears on a monday night you should be fine

Oh one more thing about living downtown. If your looking at wanting to have some fun (night time or day) in savannah downtown always have something going on.

When you come to Savannah to check out the apartments try to stay around most of Scads buildings. Scad has campus police around there property so that should help if your worry about safety.

Hope this helps and good luck at scad.

Last edited by littlegreen; 06-25-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Adding more information

Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM

236 posts, read 698,687 times
Excellent point about SCAD security. You can't beat the vibe downtown for a student as long as you use some common sense. You should have enough if you are working on grad school....

Michael

Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,119 times
Default roomie

are you looking for a roomie? I just found out there is no more on campus housing> I need to find out that kinda stuff too. Email me at [email]emily.tenenbaum@du.edu[/email] if u are interested!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_blue32 View Post
Hi, everyone! I am starting graduate school at SCAD this September. I am really excited, but I've only been to Savannah a few times. A couple of people told me I should live on Whitemarsh Island. Does anyone have any information about good/safe apartment complexes there? I read that The Merritt and Islandtree are pretty decent. I am also not opposed to living downtown, as long as it's safe! I am going down to Savannah at the end of this month to search around for housing. Any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
"Hi, everyone! I am starting graduate school at SCAD this September.. ..Does anyone have any information about good/safe apartment complexes there?"

Did you ever find a place to stay?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
She already graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area