U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,043,030 times

Advertisements

Don't you think the sister cities of Savannah and Charleston should have been in the same state?
These cities think alike and have the same coastal problems. I know in So. Car. the upper part of the state hates the low country and I'm sure it's the same in Georgia. Columbia and Charleston are so different and tries to take avantage of the coast as I know Atlanta probably does to Savannah.
Anyway just a delightfull thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,590,172 times
Seems to be a trend around Georgia and South Carolina. Augusta and Columbia, Savannah and Charleston, and Florence and Macon to name a few.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,764,917 times
OP, you posted the same drivel on the SC board. Your question makes no sense. Again, Savannah & Charleston DO NOT think alike.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 PM

23,115 posts, read 37,603,674 times
Thanks, guys. I was wondering how people would respond to this. Had no idea about this coastal antipathy, and Ive been coming here my whole life. Ill be sure to wear a combat helmet next time I visit Savannah.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:45 AM

10,443 posts, read 21,459,512 times
LOL, cities DON'T think. People think, and few think alike.

I think the Charleston/Savannah rivalry is more hype than reality. Who cares? A smart businessperson would invest in both places. It ain't a football team, it's just another nice city.

As for the OP, you must still be in grade school, right?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,292,537 times
[quote=Al G;31429206
Anyway just a delightfull thought.[/QUOTE]
Delightful:strange adjective for the subject at hand. Gonna think about this today.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,510,564 times
I love both cities (grew up in Savannah, visited relatives in Charleston as a kid). But neither city has ever considered the other one as a "sister city." Not throughout their long histories, in fact. Historically speaking, both were relatively isolated on the coast, and also isolated from each other. No real animosity, but just no "sister" closeness or affinity either. Not even much curiosity. You'd think there'd be more of that (they're both cosmopolitan port cities with a common cuisine and rich history), but there isn't. The two solitudes.

And "solitude" has another dimension: it's Savannah vs. the rest of GA, Charleston vs. upstate SC, old Mobile vs. upper Alabama, and New Orleans vs. the rest of Louisiana. These are four historic, worldly, stunning port cities located in (mostly) white-bread southern states. Thank God these four exist. Their states are better for them.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 AM

34,560 posts, read 31,886,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I know in So. Car. the upper part of the state hates the low country and I'm sure it's the same in Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
And "solitude" has another dimension: it's Savannah vs. the rest of GA, Charleston vs. upstate SC, old Mobile vs. upper Alabama, and New Orleans vs. the rest of Louisiana. These are four historic, worldly, stunning port cities located in (mostly) white-bread southern states. Thank God these four exist. Their states are better for them.
Geesh guys, are y'all still living in the 19th century? I'm pretty sure we've gotten past the era of the poor Scots-Irish farmers fighting the coastal aristocratic plantation owners for political representation.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,510,564 times
@Mutiny. You don't overturn 250 years of history that fast. Savannah was larger than Atlanta until 1880, and the state's second-largest everything (city, metro, business hub) until the 1960s. Then, for a long time, it was just a second-tier backwater in a southern state, just like Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. Since the 1980s, Savannah's national and international profile (and prestige) has grown tremendously, and outside Georgia today, SAV is "the other Georgia city" besides Atlanta. There are no others. Owing to its modest size, that breeds some statewide resentment.

Charleston never had competition for #1 in SC. It was always more prestigious than Columbia or Greenville (nice cities, but they ain't Charleston). Outside SC, few people can find Columbia or Greenville on a map, but my friends in NY and Europe all know Charleston. And there is resentment in SC over that. Charleston is South Carolina's "queen city." Atlanta might be Georgia's queen, but Savannah is the pretty princess who can't be ignored; she's the real looker in the Georgia family--you must admit that.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,237,082 times
No,no and NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area