Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times

Advertisements

If he has any concerns at all about his hair, then I think he would be smart to cut it. It's not a style that suits everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
My concern for you and your BF is, if he comes here with the expectation of being discriminated against for any reason, he's eventually going to find it. We do not live in a utopian society. The world is not perfect and human beings are flawed. People who walk around with chips on their shoulders ("you don't like my dreadlocks?!") are asking for trouble IMO. It's the same thing as kids who get tattoos in places they shouldn't and then complain when nobody will give them a job.

It sounds to me like your BF has some insecurity issues about his appearance. What's up with that?
I have locs as well and I can totally relate to what the OP is talking about. It's not about having a chip on your shoulder or actively looking for discrimination, but you're palpably aware of what some folks may think about you simply based on a physical characteristic, particularly in combination with your race and gender. It really is one of those things that you wouldn't know about unless you've experienced it yourself. I recall shortly after moving here to Atlanta, I was in the market for a new car. The salesman (a middle-aged White guy) asked me something about my hair and asked what I did for a living. He then said it looked as though I could be an undercover cop, posing as a drug dealer. All I could do was shake my head but I didn't make an issue of it. I'm not saying things like that happen every day, and more often than not you'll just get questions about how long you've been growing your hair, but his concerns aren't unfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If he has any concerns at all about his hair, then I think he would be smart to cut it. It's not a style that suits everyone.
He doesn't have concerns about his hair, but about people's possible perceptions of him due to his hair in combination with being a Black guy. And that has nothing to do with whether or not the style suits him. I'd say if he's making as much as the OP has said, he's been doing something right even with the locs in place.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I have locs as well and I can totally relate to what the OP is talking about. It's not about having a chip on your shoulder or actively looking for discrimination, but you're palpably aware of what some folks may think about you simply based on a physical characteristic, particularly in combination with your race and gender. It really is one of those things that you wouldn't know about unless you've experienced it yourself. I recall shortly after moving here to Atlanta, I was in the market for a new car. The salesman (a middle-aged White guy) asked me something about my hair and asked what I did for a living. He then said it looked as though I could be an undercover cop, posing as a drug dealer. All I could do was shake my head but I didn't make an issue of it. I'm not saying things like that happen every day, and more often than not you'll just get questions about how long you've been growing your hair, but his concerns aren't unfounded.

He doesn't have concerns about his hair, but about people's possible perceptions of him due to his hair in combination with being a Black guy. And that has nothing to do with whether or not the style suits him. I'd say if he's making as much as the OP has said, he's been doing something right even with the locs in place.
I was going to say, if he interviewed for and then got the job in Savannah wearing dreadlocks, where's the concern? It's obviously not an issue with his new employer.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think the influence of the International SCAD students has achieved a new normal, at least with the historic district crowd. When I worked downtown, I had a client that was a really nice kid, a SCAD student, with awesome dreadlocks. He was just a little TOO happy all the time, if you get my drift, but he was accepted just fine. As a youthful couple with money, you would want to live there anyway, probably, and you can afford the best apartments and houses there.

I know you didn't intend this thread to be about your BFs hair, but it sounds a bit like he's over the dreadlocks and is thinking about a change. You should be encouraging, because right now he's like one of those women who have hair down to their butts who cry when they get their hair cut.....emotionally attached to the work it took to get there.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissnahug View Post
Btw Elle, I'm a woman.
Oops!. Sorry about that.

You'll be fine living here.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
The No. 1 rated restaurant in Savannah on TripAdvisor right now is a Jamaican place that's indeed fantastic.

Sweet Spice, Savannah - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

I like that restaurant, too. Very sweet people and good food.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 39,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I am familiar with the zip code area you posted on your profile. I did business for a number of years in that part of the city. If you and your boyfriend don't have " problems" there you're not going to have problems in Savannah especially if you locate to the downtown area.

We're only a five hour drive away. Not THAT deep into the south. LOL.
I live in Charlotte. He doesn't. We've never lived in the same city so maybe Savannah will be it. :-)

Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was going to say, if he interviewed for and then got the job in Savannah wearing dreadlocks, where's the concern? It's obviously not an issue with his new employer.
That's what I've told him as well but since he moved to the south, he's in SC now, he's become insecure about it. It was never the case before. There was one event where a bunch of professionals in the community get together to play poker at a country club. One of the guys asked if the club even allows people with locs inside. So it's stuff like that that made him insecure about his hair. he's had them for 8 years and never had comments like that said him when he was up north.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Why did I also read this as two black gay men? LOL!

I don't think you'll have a problem. With the salaries you cite, you can pretty much afford to live anywhere in town. And Savannah has some very nice neighborhoods, along with the very bad -- like all cities.

The city is majority black, has majority black elected leadership and is home to an HBU, Savannah State. There's tons of black doctors, lawyers and academics here. They often get forgotten about because, as in most cities, the only black faces that make the news are those being arrested. That's not to say Savannah is backward or racist or different than any other place -- it is what it is.

The dreadlocks thing shouldn't be a problem. I see white dudes in Savannah with dreadlocks. The No. 1 rated restaurant in Savannah on TripAdvisor right now is a Jamaican place that's indeed fantastic.

Sweet Spice, Savannah - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

My concern for you and your BF is, if he comes here with the expectation of being discriminated against for any reason, he's eventually going to find it. We do not live in a utopian society. The world is not perfect and human beings are flawed. People who walk around with chips on their shoulders ("you don't like my dreadlocks?!") are asking for trouble IMO. It's the same thing as kids who get tattoos in places they shouldn't and then complain when nobody will give them a job.

It sounds to me like your BF has some insecurity issues about his appearance. What's up with that?
That's so funny that y'all thought I was a guy. Lol. I'll take it as a compliment.

I will have to try that restaurant the next time I'm in Savannah.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I think you summed up the reason very well. He's not seeking it out, but stuff people say to him every now and then has made him more paranoid about it. Hopefully he will have a positive experience in Savannah. If he does cut, I hope he does it for him and not to appease people who are uncomfortable with his hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area