Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Russ Riesinger may be the best anchor this town has ever had, but his co-anchor Tina Tyus Shaw remains a major weak link in that team. She's much better than she was 10-15 years ago, but the girl still can't read a teleprompter.
I COMPLETELY agree with you regarding Tina Tyus-Shaw and even had a laugh after I read your post as I have thought this for YEARS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Tina Tyus-Shaw has the highest "Q" rating of ANY Savannah news anchor - that's out of all the tv stations in town! She's Savannah's single favorite tv news anchor. That being said, I have also noticed her propensity to stumble on the air...

Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
FYI

WJCL News Team

Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm glad JCL has kept Jeff Kirk for all these years. At least they were able to retain SOMEONE. That station doesn't usually keep people around for too long. There are a few rare exceptions.

On the subject of meteorologists, you know "BIG JOHN" Wetherbee actually does radio weather updates for 1037 Chuck-FM in Gainesville, GA. I was shocked when I first heard him on the air up here since I remember him from Savannah.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'm glad JCL has kept Jeff Kirk for all these years. At least they were able to retain SOMEONE. That station doesn't usually keep people around for too long. There are a few rare exceptions.

On the subject of meteorologists, you know "BIG JOHN" Wetherbee actually does radio weather updates for 1037 Chuck-FM in Gainesville, GA. I was shocked when I first heard him on the air up here since I remember him from Savannah.
I can top that: WTOC in Savannah actually produces the news for the Fox affiliate in Augusta! The broadcast comes out of Savannah, with Mike Manhatton and Dawn Baker as anchors and John Wetherbee doing the weather.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I can top that: WTOC in Savannah actually produces the news for the Fox affiliate in Augusta! The broadcast comes out of Savannah, with Mike Manhatton and Dawn Baker as anchors and John Wetherbee doing the weather.
Yeah, I was aware of that too. Pretty sad if you ask me considering the population of Augusta. BUT.. as you said, Savannah's market is significantly larger than Augusta's.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was aware of that too. Pretty sad if you ask me considering the population of Augusta. BUT.. as you said, Savannah's market is significantly larger than Augusta's.
SHHHH! Don't tell the people in Augusta LOL!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:12 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:

He owns his own radio weather company & provides radio weather updates all over the region. I know he provides them for 105.9 in Brunswick. Not long ago, he was chief met on the CBS affiliate in Atlanta. Surprising he took that big a step down.

I know he's the heir apparent for Pat Prokop on TOC. That'll be a good day, as he's the only met there that doesn't stutter!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
I fondly recall the reality TV show that TV Guide Channel aired a few years ago that followed the staff of WJCL/WTGS's news division as they tried to do their jobs despite overwhelming odds. I can't recall the exact title, but it was something like "Making News in Savannah" or something. The hook was that WJCL was officially measured as the lowest-rated newscast of any local station in the US, and the show's participants made no effort to hide the failures of the station, its outdated technology, and its inexperienced staff of "cheap" reporters fresh from college. It was definitely eye opening, since their supposed goal was to get an official "rating" by Nielsen; in some recent ratings periods, they only got "..." as their rating, not even a ".1", which basically said their viewership was so low that it was undetected by the sampling.

Glad to see they finally escaped that Abercorn studio.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM

808 posts, read 1,015,210 times
I love the New Wjcl! Kevin holmes is a great addition; he's very lively and Energetic. And of Course Jennifer Always does such a great job! Samara, Stephanie, Ashley, and i forgot what the other 2(basically new) women names(both reportes; one African American-Light skinned, the other Caucasian(maybe with a slight mix of another race) with a very soft voice. Also Nick Nitario and the other guy(Caucasian; fairly new) are great also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area