Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times

Advertisements

My apologies then, I must have misunderstood what you were looking for. I thought that you wanted to know how River Street got it's start, not how it developed.

It was in the time before the camera was invented. You simply will not find any pictures about how it started. That happened when the first folks stepped off that ship and pitched their tents. It was started where it was because that was the first high ground of any size coming up the River. It took a good while until docks and wharfs were developed. Lumber was brought in from Charleston, etc. until we built our first lumber yard and sawmill. They were built as they were needed by people that had the money to hire people or slaves to do it.

Perhaps if you gave a time frame for pictures, you might get better answers. Questions about how it started go back long before the camera. That area was also the place where the slave holding pens for the unsold slaves were. The 1970s were the beginning of today's River street with it's shops and restaurants. The old buildings were converted, rats and all (and they were a big problem) as they were needed, into the shops that you see now.

We had several big fires that eliminated many of the first buildings. They were mostly wood. I think there was a really bad fire in the early 1800s...but there again, that's before the general use of the camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia RT View Post
The history of Savannah is irrelevant to my story setting. I mention the street with it's cobbled stones and large water washed stones but what I want to know is who built the dock area up. Evidently no one here does. I contacted Ga Hist Soc. Looked at pictures. 1948 is the nearest to starting doing any kind of renovation. There are pictures of power companies laying lines and so forth. Besides dirt streets, boarded up buildings and the looks of a ghost town about the place it isn't until 1948 I find pictures of renovation. And I don't see any bricks on River Street, only dirt streets and roadways and boarded up buildings. I can only assume U are not from Savannah either Ellie or Newsboy or Padgett or you might know a little about the town you choose to live in. Thank you Daniel. I too figured slaves and coloniests began the construction but there is no proof. Like I said the pictures of River Street are there in the GA Hist Soc. I can't substantiate this data so as any good writer I seek answers. Thanks
As a good writer, LOL. Let's just leave it at that. You're lazy. Good research takes time, especially with as complex a question as the timeline of development of a historic river front. No one is going to do your work for free.

There are a number of images of river street in that collection which show both irregular and rectangular cobbles. You just didn't look carefully. Georgia Historical Society

Again, what else can we say? Good bye.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,213 times
why cant i find facts on river street

Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,213 times
Default eyaadsasdjiegtjioaejrgy8oaurityfelicia

hhttp://www.6913th.org/BH2010-R/gifs2/5-RvrSt.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area