Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Another fine feather in our cap! Though I'm a little concerned about the planned "bike rental program" at the new transit center and in Ellis Square. How are they going to keep those bikes from being taken and never returned?

Savannah Named Bicycle Friendly City - WSAV: News, Weather, and Sports for Savannah, GA

Savannah receives national "Bike Friendly" designation | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I have participated in the bike sharing program in NYC and it works out very well.

A credit card is required to rent them out. You can rent them out for a cheap rate that lasts for 30 minutes and then goes up by a few dollars every hour to half hour after that UNLESS you return the bike to the same rack or a different rack placed in another area of the city and take another bike, rinse and repeat.

If the bike isn't returned, it's charged to your card. Simple as that.

As far as Savannah being designated as bicycle friendly, I'm glad the city now has bragging rights in that area, however, Savannah still has a LONG way to go. I'm still waiting on the completed bike path connecting intown to the islands and further out to Tybee (which would require obvious reconstruction of US 80 from Wilmington to Tybee).

I also would love to see more pedestrian/bike friendly areas at and south of DeRenne.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
I agree. Savannah is more than the 31401 zip code. If you live on the islands, south or west sides of town (basically, anywhere but downtown or midtown), you'll have a hard time finding your way to town on a non-motorized vehicle. That's got to count against "bike friendly" in my book.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
There is a Letter to the Editor today about how "fond" people are of those riding bicycles. Thankfully, I don't have a dog in the fight.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Everything north of DeRenne is super bike friendly. That's a lot more territory than most cities. I wouldn't ride a bike down Abercorn, but you can zig-zag your way through the residential neighborhoods and be reasonably safe on the Southside.

Nobody is gonna ride a bike from Savannah Mall to downtown anyway ...

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
I guess it's all relative. Compared to Atlanta, yes, Savannah is bike-friendly. Compared to a place like Albuquerque, New Mexico, maybe not as much.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Everything north of DeRenne is super bike friendly. That's a lot more territory than most cities. I wouldn't ride a bike down Abercorn, but you can zig-zag your way through the residential neighborhoods and be reasonably safe on the Southside.

Nobody is gonna ride a bike from Savannah Mall to downtown anyway ...
Well, I wouldn't say evvverrrything north of DeRenne. There are spots along Victory (mainly from Bee Road to the west) that have no sidewalks or trails aside from Daffin Park itself. Also, I wouldn't ride my bike along Abercorn north of DeRenne either.

As far as riding a bike from Sav'h Mall to downtown, well, perhaps not (you never know), but there's a lot to be said about connecting south side neighborhoods to the rest of the city.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
I guess it's all relative. Compared to Atlanta, yes, Savannah is bike-friendly. Compared to a place like Albuquerque, New Mexico, maybe not as much.
Exactly, it's all relative.

I'm stil amazed at the trails and paths in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. (#2 in the nation behind Portland, OR for bike friendliness)
Bike paths even paralleling freeways (far enough away from vehicular traffic of course).
The whole freakin' metro area is connected pretty much. Comes in handy for me when I fly up there and dont feel like renting a car.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
... I wouldn't ride my bike along Abercorn north of DeRenne either ...
Why would you need to? There are bike lanes all the way down Habersham from Bay Street to Stephensen! In fact, I found this on the internet, which suggest you can ride a bike all the way from Bay Street to Armstrong State on dedicated paths (news to me):

Habersham Street to Stephenson Avenue to Hodgson Memorial Drive to Edgewater Drive to Hillyer Drive to Dyches Drive to Lorwood Drive to Tibet Avenue to Largo Drive to Windsor Road to Science Drive.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why would you need to? There are bike lanes all the way down Habersham from Bay Street to Stephensen! In fact, I found this on the internet, which suggest you can ride a bike all the way from Bay Street to Armstrong State on dedicated paths (news to me):

Habersham Street to Stephenson Avenue to Hodgson Memorial Drive to Edgewater Drive to Hillyer Drive to Dyches Drive to Lorwood Drive to Tibet Avenue to Largo Drive to Windsor Road to Science Drive.

There was a time a few years ago when I rode my bike from the Thomas Square neighborhood where I lived all the way out to Lake Mayer. I took the bike lane you're talking about and cut through Ardsley south of Victory and did a series of street hopping after that further south.

Would've been nice to have one road dedicated to bicycles and pedestrians.

Tis better than nothing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: