U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,140,518 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to chime in, Im a 17 year resident of Charleston, and for some reason, never made a weekend trip to visit Savannah despite it being so close. I've heard for years how similar the two cities are, that they are sister cities, etc, etc. I always saw Savannah on the same lists as Charleston (but just below) as top tourist destinations in the US and world.

Well, me and the girlfriend made a 4 day trip, and it was GREAT!!! We stayed at a place off Oglethorpe St, a small vacation rental, and it was very nice. Did all the River Street stuff. The dinner cruise. A few comments:

We ate at two places in particular. Barricuda Bobs, a new place on River St. GREAT tuna tacos.
And the Pirate House for Sunday brunch, which was worth every single penny.

The dinner cruise was OK. Food was average at best, but the people were great. Felt a bit like a tourist trap, which God knows Charleston has plenty of too.

Didn't realize how huge of a presence SCAD has there. Very similar to the College of Charleston campus feel.

Forsyth Park was nice. As were all the mini-parks.

Savannah is MUCH more pedestrian friendly than Charleston. MUCH more. Streets and sidewalks are wider and more level.

For all the similarities, the two are very much their own place as well, although my trip was only a few days. Savannah felt much more local than Charleston. Like far more people live there or are originally from there. Charleston is well known as a transplant city, and far more of the crowds aren't natives, or just there short term.

I've heard some say Savannah is a bit "dirtier" than Charleston. I didn't sense it much. I think that's just the sense that its more local. Charleston is a bit more high-strung, snobbish maybe. We saw quite a few homeless people on River Street mingling with tourists. In Charleston, the police would have been called to arrest them or take them up the peninsula and drop them off in the ghettos. NOT that I agree with that. Just how that city works.

One oddity that was unique to Savannah between the two cities is the downtown traffic at night. It wasn't as dense as what we see in Charleston for a Friday/Saturday night. And that was good. But....we saw several incidents of large pickups with loud exhaust racing, and, some guys on dirt bikes and camo peeling through downtown. Kinda odd to see.

But, our favorite part was River Street. The old architecture was gorgeous. Literally felt like you could sense old 1700's ships and pirates coming and going up those stone stairs, frequenting the taverns. The restaurants were nice, the river was pretty.

Anyway....

Had an overall GREAT time. It's certainly not just "another Charleston" like we'd heard. It was unique and great, and well worth the 2 hour drive that we'll be making again very soon!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM

269 posts, read 370,245 times
Glad to hear. I'm originally from Wilmington NC (I mention this due to its large historic district), but have made a few visits to Charleston and Savannah. I love both of the cities. Something about the old historic feel, southern charm, lively down town areas and being close to the water are very appealing. I'm very young and have a lot to see but I am looking at moving to either Charleston or Savannah for a year or two while on my last year of grad school. Savannah is a very charming city.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,764,917 times
Good comparisons, although I disagree about your SCAD vs. CoC comparison, as SCAD is basically cobbled together with repurposed buildings. Nothing wrong with that, of course. As far as Savannah being "dirty", I'd say that's because Savannah's industrial side is closer to downtown than it is in Charleston.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM

41,061 posts, read 50,813,684 times
Glad you had a good time. Come back often.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,043,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Just wanted to chime in, Im a 17 year resident of Charleston, and for some reason, never made a weekend trip to visit Savannah despite it being so close. I've heard for years how similar the two cities are, that they are sister cities, etc, etc. I always saw Savannah on the same lists as Charleston (but just below) as top tourist destinations in the US and world.

Well, me and the girlfriend made a 4 day trip, and it was GREAT!!! We stayed at a place off Oglethorpe St, a small vacation rental, and it was very nice. Did all the River Street stuff. The dinner cruise. A few comments:

We ate at two places in particular. Barricuda Bobs, a new place on River St. GREAT tuna tacos.
And the Pirate House for Sunday brunch, which was worth every single penny.

The dinner cruise was OK. Food was average at best, but the people were great. Felt a bit like a tourist trap, which God knows Charleston has plenty of too.

Didn't realize how huge of a presence SCAD has there. Very similar to the College of Charleston campus feel.

Forsyth Park was nice. As were all the mini-parks.

Savannah is MUCH more pedestrian friendly than Charleston. MUCH more. Streets and sidewalks are wider and more level.

For all the similarities, the two are very much their own place as well, although my trip was only a few days. Savannah felt much more local than Charleston. Like far more people live there or are originally from there. Charleston is well known as a transplant city, and far more of the crowds aren't natives, or just there short term.

I've heard some say Savannah is a bit "dirtier" than Charleston. I didn't sense it much. I think that's just the sense that its more local. Charleston is a bit more high-strung, snobbish maybe. We saw quite a few homeless people on River Street mingling with tourists. In Charleston, the police would have been called to arrest them or take them up the peninsula and drop them off in the ghettos. NOT that I agree with that. Just how that city works.

One oddity that was unique to Savannah between the two cities is the downtown traffic at night. It wasn't as dense as what we see in Charleston for a Friday/Saturday night. And that was good. But....we saw several incidents of large pickups with loud exhaust racing, and, some guys on dirt bikes and camo peeling through downtown. Kinda odd to see.

But, our favorite part was River Street. The old architecture was gorgeous. Literally felt like you could sense old 1700's ships and pirates coming and going up those stone stairs, frequenting the taverns. The restaurants were nice, the river was pretty.

Anyway....

Had an overall GREAT time. It's certainly not just "another Charleston" like we'd heard. It was unique and great, and well worth the 2 hour drive that we'll be making again very soon!!!
Great observation, I agree whole heartily. A very beautiful city with loads of charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area