Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

... going in the old building that was abandoned by Rite-Aid when CFA built a new store in the parking lot. How is that going to work?

I'll never understand the world of retailing!

PS -- Does anybody know the status of the new SUPER MEGA KROGER CENTER on Mall Blvd? I seldom get to that part of town.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-28-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
The huge new Kroger has a roof, but no facade, at least as of last week when I drove down Mall Blvd. I hear it'll be the largest Kroger in Georgia. Our food options are surely growing in the Coastal Empire!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... going in the old building that was abandoned by Rite-Aid when CFA built a new store in the parking lot. How is that going to work?

PS -- Does anybody know the status of the new SUPER MEGA KROGER CENTER on Mall Blvd? I seldom get to that part of town.
Well, there's no Walgreens on Victory Drive at all, the closest would be DeRenne and Wilmington Island. None downtown either, so this would be the closest I suppose. Interesting to see what CVS across the street's move is going to be, as that shopping center is pretty old itself.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Well, there's no Walgreens on Victory Drive at all, the closest would be DeRenne and Wilmington Island. None downtown either, so this would be the closest I suppose. Interesting to see what CVS across the street's move is going to be, as that shopping center is pretty old itself.
You know, I think both of those shopping centers at Victory and Skid are officially considered "historic" by the city and state because they were the very first suburban strip-mall type shopping centers ever built in Savannah (1950). The one with Piggly Wiggly and the children's theater has held up well with renovations; the other one not so much.

I think the old Victory Lanes building across the street might also qualify as historic. It has great redevelopment potential! I would love to see an old-fashioned retro "Pizza beer bowl" open up there.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

I can't remember if they said January or March.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I think the old Victory Lanes building across the street might also qualify as historic. It has great redevelopment potential! I would love to see an old-fashioned retro "Pizza beer bowl" open up there.
How about a Trader Joe's?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
How about a Trader Joe's?
Oh wow. Not sure if Savannah can handle this new Kroger Supercenter, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and a Trader Joes in the same place. Then Trader Joes would be literally across the street from Pigg/Bi-Lo.

I wouldn't mind if someone bought the bowling alley and renovated it. The little shops around the bowling alley can go (the old good year building, midas, video bob's).

Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if someone bought the bowling alley and renovated it. The little shops around the bowling alley can go (the old good year building, midas, video bob's).
Agreed. That's an ugly intersection. Especially on the SW corner where you're referring to.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Oh wow. Not sure if Savannah can handle this new Kroger Supercenter, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and a Trader Joes in the same place. Then Trader Joes would be literally across the street from Pigg/Bi-Lo.

It's the logical place, being in the most quickly redeveloping part of town, and smack in the middle of things. Trader Joe's tends to look for urban areas. Also, they can capitalize on nearby markets. They have a store in Charleston, and four in Atlanta. And, just a couple of weeks ago, announced a new store is due to be constructed in Jacksonville Beach. They have now literally surrounded Savannah, and that's when we tend to get things... Last.

The wild success of Whole Foods here proves that this town will support them - especially because they specialize in organic items that cost less than the goods offered elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
It's the logical place, being in the most quickly redeveloping part of town, and smack in the middle of things. Trader Joe's tends to look for urban areas. Also, they can capitalize on nearby markets. They have a store in Charleston, and four in Atlanta. And, just a couple of weeks ago, announced a new store is due to be constructed in Jacksonville Beach. They have now literally surrounded Savannah, and that's when we tend to get things... Last.

The wild success of Whole Foods here proves that this town will support them - especially because they specialize in organic items that cost less than the goods offered elsewhere.
I think Trader Joes would thrive on Wilmington Island, or somewhere downtown. I think it could do well in the Food Lion on MLK building. I know Food Lion didn't do so well, but they are no Trader Joes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area