Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,930,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
To me, everything after the Thunderbolt bridge and before Tybee is Wilmington Island.

I know that's not the case, but that's just how those of us who never have to go on the islands refer to that area.

It's kind of similar to how a lot of people just say Pooler for anything on 95 towards South Carolina. Doesn't matter if it's Bloomingdale, Port Wentworth... people just call it Pooler. Some still say Port Wentworth, but a lot of people I talk to just say Pooler when speaking of that entire area in general.

Same for Coffee Bluff, Vernonburg, Windsor Forest, Paradise Park etc. Most people I talk to just refer to that as "White Bluff/Windsor Forest" or "Southside".

If I recall, the Tanger Outlets are actually in Bluffton, but tourists and even people in Savannah say "I'm going to the outlets in Hilton Head".
Funny, nobody I know goes by that strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

643 posts, read 842,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
In 1983 Wal-Mart opened a store in McAlpin Square. By 1995, it moved to Whitemarsh Island to operate a larger store. According to an SMN article from 1995, the McAlpin Square store was too small. The new Whitemarsh store was 104,000 square feet and met Wal-Mart's capacity at the time. Nearly 19 years later, that store still exists because, again, land is scarce.

Point is, it was about land. There was, at the time, ample land out that way, and Victory was becoming run down and congested. I don't think it had much to do about income.

On another note, does anyone happen to know what discount store Wal-Mart acquired when it entered Savannah in the early 80s? I believe, whatever store is was, operated the Largo Plaza and and Chatham Plaza stores before Wal-Mart took them over.
Wal Mart Supercenters were non-existant in Savannah back then too. I believe the first one was built in Pooler in I wanna say 1999 or 2000?

Back then we had standard Wal Marts in:

Chatham Plaza (where HHGregg-World Market are now)
Savannah Mall where the current non-Supercenter Wal Mart is now.
Victory Dr. (where Big Lots/Habitat for Humanity is now)

Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 AM

643 posts, read 842,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Funny, nobody I know goes by that strategy.
That's Savannah for you.

Not kidding either, a lot of people I talk to when referring to anything on the islands after Thunderbolt and before Tybee either refer to it as "on the Islands" or "Wilmington Island".

Of course those who live on the Islands differentiate it, but for many of us who don't live on the Islands, and never have to travel in that direction unless going to the beach, it's not uncommon to categorize it that way. I mean I can probably tell you that I've been in that Kroger twice in my 23 years of existence. Once in that Publix. Three times in that Wal Mart.

For many people who don't know their way around Savannah, you use general points to tell them directions. If somebody has no idea where Mercy Blvd or Largo is, I say "Over by the Savannah Mall" or "Armstrong".

If somebody has no idea where Bee Rd. or Washington Ave. is, I always say "over by Daffin Park". Same goes for the Islands. Easier to categorize them in one instead of explaining which island is which.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
That's Savannah for you.

Not kidding either, a lot of people I talk to when referring to anything on the islands after Thunderbolt and before Tybee either refer to it as "on the Islands" or "Wilmington Island".

Of course those who live on the Islands differentiate it, but for many of us who don't live on the Islands, and never have to travel in that direction unless going to the beach, it's not uncommon to categorize it that way. I mean I can probably tell you that I've been in that Kroger twice in my 23 years of existence. Once in that Publix. Three times in that Wal Mart.

For many people who don't know their way around Savannah, you use general points to tell them directions. If somebody has no idea where Mercy Blvd or Largo is, I say "Over by the Savannah Mall" or "Armstrong".

If somebody has no idea where Bee Rd. or Washington Ave. is, I always say "over by Daffin Park". Same goes for the Islands. Easier to categorize them in one instead of explaining which island is which.
That's more accurate. "Over on the islands or island", "By Daffin Park", etc is something I hear more often. Not so much specifically "By Pooler on 21" which is really in Port Wentworth or "at the Wal-Mart on Wilmington" which is really on Whitemarsh.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM

474 posts, read 582,934 times
Quote:
Wal Mart Supercenters were non-existant in Savannah back then too. I believe the first one was built in Pooler in I wanna say 1999 or 2000?

The Pooler Wal-Mart opened in February 2000. The other stores, I remember quite well. We used to go to the Chatham Plaza store. I just am not old enough to know what was there before Wal-Mart acquired the space. Property records indicate Chatham Plaza was built in 1974 and Wal-Mart took over that store in 1981. Everything I've read indicates the Chatham Plaza and Largo Plaza stores were Kuhn's Big K stores. Once upon a time, before consolidation, there were many, many discount chains other than Target, KMart, and Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is also getting away from building megalith stores. They're building more compact stores like the one across from Savannah Mall. They're learning you don't have to sell evvverything. A lot of big box stores are consolidating into smaller spaces again. It's less expensive to operate and helps with LEED certification.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM

8,035 posts, read 4,712,393 times
"Cook's" operated in Chatham Plaza and McAlpin Square. They were hardly Wal-Mart sized operations--more like a glorified Dollar General. But that was all we thought we needed back then. Not sure if Wally World bought the chain out, or if the company just decided to leave the market and WM took over the leases on the stores.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Wow, this has really gotten off topic...

Oh well. Actually, I believe Savannah's first Wal-Mart Super center was out on 17 at 204.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:50 AM

11,370 posts, read 24,342,291 times
Here's the latest.

Victory Crossing Plaza Renovation Concerns Residents - WSAV: News, Weather, and Sports for Savannah, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area