Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

JCrew opened today. Beautiful store. Beautiful people. Open bar, free food, pulsating music from a live DJ. Very exciting addition to Broughton Street!

Unrelated ... but I was reminded today of a number of very upscale stores that are already downtown off Broughton. High-end French linens retailer Yves Delorme is one of them. They've been at the corner of Whitaker and York for several years and appear to do quite well at that location just off Wright Square.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about the plans for Broughton St.?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-10-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
Steak 'n Shake coming to downtown Savannah | savannahnow.com

Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Buried in the story about about Steak 'n Shake:

... the review board gave a much warmer reception to developer Ben Carter's revised plans for a new four-story building that would be leased by international clothing retailer H&M ...

“It's elegant, simple and unique,” said board chair Keith Howington.

“It's a really strong improvement,” said Robin Williams. “I applaud what you've done.”

“This to me, proportionally, looks right,” said Reed Engle.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:17 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Buried in the story about about Steak 'n Shake:

... the review board gave a much warmer reception to developer Ben Carter's revised plans for a new four-story building that would be leased by international clothing retailer H&M ...

“It's elegant, simple and unique,” said board chair Keith Howington.

“It's a really strong improvement,” said Robin Williams. “I applaud what you've done.”

“This to me, proportionally, looks right,” said Reed Engle.

Regarding the proposed H&M building on Broughton, it sounds as if it was tweaked quite a bit. I wonder if there are any new depictions drawn up? The original looked butt ugly.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM

Beautiful store! If the rest of what Ben Carter has planned for BS turns out this nice, the street will be fabulous indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about the plans for Broughton St.?-image.jpg  

Old 09-12-2014, 10:57 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Yes it looks nice thanks for the pic, and it will be nice, too. Now I'm just mad at myself I missed what sounded like cool free food and drink!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:32 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
Well Mr. Carter has finally released renderings of his plans for the new streetscape for Broughton. I must say I'm impressed with what I see so far, but we will have to see what the final product looks like.
Broughton developer Ben Carter details streetscape plans | savannahnow.com

Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM

153 posts, read 274,673 times
While the new stores Carter brought to Broughton street have all looked nice, I am not impressed by the streetscape plan. I was expecting something unique, not a throwback to the 1900s, but I'm pretty sure that was the point. These "improvements" will likely make the street look older than it does now, in my opinion. I agree with Dabit,“It’s already historic,You shouldn’t have to add things to it to make it look more historic.”

Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM

808 posts, read 1,014,839 times
My question is: Why does he want a TAD?? Doesn't he have the necessary cash for streetscape?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
My question is: Why does he want a TAD?? Doesn't he have the necessary cash for streetscape?
He doesn't own the street, the city does. He can't spend his own money to improve public property. That's why the city has to do it. They're responsible for it, and the fact is it needed to be done even before Ben Carter came along. The story is right: The trees are very haphazard, the sidewalks incredibly nasty on some blocks, OK on others. The sidewalk pavements downtown are really inconsistent. Some blocks are brick, some traditional concrete, some a patchwork of asphalt (in front of Panera) and in a few places really nice slate. I think most of King Street in Charleston has slate sidewalks. They look very elegant. King Street is also lined with palm trees, rather than whatever the heck those trees are on Broughton -- some hollies, some something else? Some dead. Some not.

If his investment on the street is the financial catalyst to finally get new sidewalks, trees, light poles, etc., so be it.

As for the schematics, they are WAY WAY WAY over the top IMO. This is Broughton Street in Savannah, after all, not Freemont Street in Las Vegas. But I think that might be part of his ploy: Present something that the city, and the historic review people, are going to balk at, then come back with something more reasonable and appropriate.

Still, it's going to be a tough sell, I'm afraid. It's good to see people like Ruel Joyner of the Downtown Business Association on board. But he's been a supporter of Ben Carter from Day 1. Michael Brown is a slumlord and anything Carter does to improve the street makes him look bad, so of course he's going to oppose it.

I think we'll see this come around similar to the H&M debate: The initial presentation was too much, they reeled it in and went for something more "elegant, simple and unique" ... and everybody goes home happy.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-14-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area