Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm going to begin doing a diary of my parking experiences downtown, just to prove a point. I always start off looking on Broughton Street and then branch off by block to areas that I have experience at finding spaces. I'll record the time I arrived on Broughton, the time it took me to find a space, and location.
Exactly. I start my search on Broughton. Always. It pretty much always ends there. Most of the time, I find parking near the SCAD theatre on either side. If not there, then across from the Marshall House. Yes, I've been successful in the middle of the day, too.

I never understand why people continuously gripe about lack of parking when I never have issues. Well, not never. I've had issues before, but I have never left unsuccessful. The longest it has taken to find a spot wasn't any more than 15 minutes. At most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Cool. So if I ever want to go there at 6:26 on a Monday night, I'm golden. Still unconvinced.
"Unconvinced"? By 7pm everyone working downtown went home. Meters on Bay go off. Plenty of parking there and IF not there is valet parking at several hotels on Bay. Give the guy $2 bux and let the moths fly out of your wallet. Lol.

Honestly,many people that have moved to the burbs have preconceived notions about not wanting to put up with a hassle. Real or conceived. Get out and enjoy yourself. Life is shor

Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
"Unconvinced"? By 7pm everyone working downtown went home. Meters on Bay go off. Plenty of parking there and IF not there is valet parking at several hotels on Bay. Give the guy $2 bux and let the moths fly out of your wallet. Lol.

Honestly,many people that have moved to the burbs have preconceived notions about not wanting to put up with a hassle. Real or conceived. Get out and enjoy yourself. Life is shor
I have a life, and a routine. I would prefer to go downtown in the afternoon. I'm sure I could also find a parking space at 4:00 am with no problem, but that is not when I wish to be there.

I never thought of the hotel valet angle. I can use it if I'm not staying at the hotel? I did not know that, and for the record, I don't care what I pay, except I balk at the $10. lot if I just want to spend a hour or two.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Hm the valet thing is interesting...

I think this is a common theme in cities. By mid-day parking is used up by 9 to 5 workers. The nature of the beast and so forth. Plus you can walk or take the free shuttle from parking anywhere on the edge of historic district, and be almost anywhere else downtown in 5-10 minutes. Or take a horse, a pedicab, ferry, or Last Ride... to be eccentric or whatnot. Not to be inconsiderate (I have a hard time walking myself sometimes) but a walking city is a healthy city. Literally. Handicap spots can and should always have good positioning of course. But the brilliant Oglethorpe Plan will serve Savannah well far into the future, as long as it lives. It is more relevant now than ever.

On the other hand, that Ellis Square underground parking lot, was worth every penny. Brilliant. Just saw it for the first time the other day. I never knew it was there!! Maybe another time we do a large scale infill project, i.e. this Arena, we should do more underground parking. If you are going to do something big, go all the way. 10 levels deep perhaps? Or if they do more hotels, they should have to construct a couple levels deep of underground parking?

Other ideas I have heard: closing Broughton to car traffic and making it pedestrian. Another idea: make it one-way and turn one lane into parking, by doing diagonal parking along the street, with bumpouts with a tree or planter every block or so. All interesting... with their pluses and minuses. I don't really have a favorite idea myself yet... They all seem worth studying and getting more public input probably.

The CAT bus seems to work very nicely, I take it sometimes. We have a good bus system for a small city. If the towns like Pooler would chip in, it would be a lot more efficient, seeing as it has to route around Pooler. That would help a lot, and perhaps reduce rush hour traffic congestion even. Give large employers bus passes to give to employees perhaps?

The Christmas ornaments look nice. Also the Chistmas parade on Broughton here is very nice we went last year it was very family friendly. Almost surprising to see families out and about in a city at night anymore these days. Hopefully people keep coming out and it will be safe and the downtown will be vibrant.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
TURNED ONTO BROUGHTON FROM E BROAD: 4:20 pm
PARKED AT 2 E BROUGHTON STREET: 4:21 pm
TOTAL TIME: 00:01:27

*** NOTE: The OO block of W BROUGHTON, between Bull and Whitaker, is closed for the hanging of Christmas lights. So an entire block the street is closed to traffic and I still found a space in under 2 minutes. There was an available space in front of me when I started typing this. There remains an available space on the opposite side of the street directly in front of Starbucks. There are two spaces on Bull, one in front of Levy's and the other in front of SunTrust ... at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 PM

OH LOOK! Theres another space in front of Villa Savannah!
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about the plans for Broughton St.?-image.jpg  

Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 PM

... and another space in front of Banana Republic!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-02-2014, 03:01 PM

... and another space in front of Papilotte!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-02-2014, 03:15 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
And there's always the old trick of parking on Hutch and taking the ferry back over. If you have some time to be leisurely on the weekend it's a nice safe spot, and a fun way to get around. Many options in this unique town to let you get creative.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM

... and another in front of Urban Outfitters!!!

(NOTE: all these photos were taken around 4:30 pm. It took me awhile to post them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area