Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 AM

277 posts, read 433,974 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was hoping to get some vacation ideas for Savannah. I know there are a lot of travel websites, but nothing compares to a little local advice.

I'm visiting from coastal NC and my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a trip sometime in April or May. I've been to Savannah before so I do know some about the city, but it was always with family and I was considerably younger. She's never been so I definitely want to take her to some cool places that I might look over.

Things we're interested in:
Fishing (well, really me)
Restaurants - Nothing overly fancy unless it's actually good (I find a lot of food at fancy restaurants to be sub par compared to local diners and stuff like that- I'd be open to fine dining if the place has legitimately good food). Seafood shacks are great, live music, bars, etc.
Some History, not too much - maybe like a 2 hour tour or museum, aquarium, etc..
I do want to check out some of the squares again
We're both young. This will be my first time in Savannah over 21, so maybe something geared towards a younger (23-40s?) crowd?
Maybe some shopping. Any type of southern menswear or women's clothing.
Anything outdoors

We'll most likely have a long afternoon plus 2 full days to explore. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,650,012 times
Fishing can be done from zero dollars to hundreds of dollars , both at Tybee Island. Pier is free, charter boats, also from Tybee, run about $350-400 for a half day.

Dining: Pick up the weekly circulars on street corners, "Connect" and ( another whose name escapes me
now), with dozens of ads for the type of dining and music you are looking for. Tons of info available. For "fine dining" I'd recommend "Pink House".

For short history( "two hours" )I would recommend " a history of Savannah " book from your local library back home and walk with it thru the squares that you mentioned.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 AM

11,374 posts, read 24,356,842 times
Two days won't allow you time to fish unless your girlfriend plans to tour around by herself.

For your first visit, I suggest sticking around the Historic District for the majority of your stay and WALK around. Go on a walking tour or even a haunted pub crawl. They're much more fun than one of those ghost tours in a hearse, which are frankly long and dull. There are a number of house museums. Go in one if it looks interesting to you.

Forsyth Park is where many local young people go during the day in Springtime. It's surrounded by grand historic homes. You can find coffee and food on the south end of the park, as well as next to the bandshell.

There's plenty of shopping on Broughton St.

One day you might want to drive out to Tybee a Island and visit Ft. Pulaski, which is both interesting and beautiful. Then check out the beach for an hour or two.

Since you're young, I suggest going with the flow and exploring as you go. Easy.

Last edited by ellie; 02-28-2014 at 05:00 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM

974 posts, read 1,142,271 times
It's a beautiful walking city, and you might find yourself spending a whole day just walking around the Historic District. Bull Street has some of the best consecutive squares, and it makes a nice walk right up the heart of the city. At the south end of the squares, you have Forsyth Park, and at the north is City Hall. It will probably take a couple hours if you're moving briskly, and perhaps that long afternoon you mentioned if you start after a nice lunch somewhere.

I like using Yelp for what is in my proximity when I'm in a new place. Savannah is no different - lots of good advice to be found there, much of which comes from the locals. Restaurants are everywhere, and depending on what you like, there is probably something within a few blocks of wherever you find yourself that you'll enjoy. I like Ellie's suggestion of going with the flow - that's easy to do in Savannah, especially if the weather is nice.

A few restaurant suggestions for unique experiences in the Historic District (again, depending on what you're into):

Mrs. Wilkes' (I prefer it to the Lady and Sons) - southern home cooking
Crystal Beer Parlor - a real Savannah institution
Kayak Kafe - Tex Mex/American and super fresh
Vinnie Van Go-Gos - best pizza in town
Walls' BBQ - a real hole in the wall, but pretty great
Rancho Alegre - Cuban food that holds its own

For the finer dining stuff, there are some good ones for a special treat. Garibaldi's, Pink House, Noble Fare, Elizabeth's on 37th... The list goes on. I'm partial to those, though. The best seafood places are actually not downtown. But, if you're willing to venture out, I like AJ's Dockside on Tybee Island. And, there are many other places around. Ele Fine Fusion on Highway 80 on your way out to Tybee is a real treat with an Asian influenced menu.

If you're staying downtown, then Broughton Street has the most shopping clustered in one place. There are shops for any budget there.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,820,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Fishing can be done from zero dollars to hundreds of dollars , both at Tybee Island. Pier is free, charter boats, also from Tybee, run about $350-400 for a half day.

Dining: Pick up the weekly circulars on street corners, "Connect" and ( another whose name escapes me
now),
with dozens of ads for the type of dining and music you are looking for. Tons of info available. For "fine dining" I'd recommend "Pink House".

For short history( "two hours" )I would recommend " a history of Savannah " book from your local library back home and walk with it thru the squares that you mentioned.
DO!

Do Savannah, arts and entertainment news for the Creative Coast | #dosavannah

There are MULTIPLE festivals every weekend in Savannah, particularly April and May. This is also the two busiest months of the tourist season, so MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY. Let me repeat: MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW! You will NOT be able to drive into town for a weekend in April or May and find a hotel room. Anywhere. Period.

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL SAVANNAH TOURISM AND VISITOR SITE: Savannah GA Hotels Restaurants | Savannah Visitor Information It will provide you with all the links, information, etc. to get you started. Also, though you wanted local advice, my best advice to you is USE TRIP ADVISOR! It will not lead you wrong.

Good look and welcome!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM

277 posts, read 433,974 times
Thanks for the advice y'all. I'm not really a big planner, and we do usually go with the flow. Just wanted to make sure we don't miss any "must sees". I'll definitely check out some of those restaurants, walking tours and book a hotel very soon. We will most likely stay downtown. Fishing isn't a must, especially if I'm going to miss out on something else (I do it all the time here, I just enjoy a change in scenery every now and then).

Cheers.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,583,210 times
Try this bar out off of Broughton since you can now drink legally.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jens-and-friends-savannah651

There is also a hooka bar down on Broughton if you are into that and a tea room..

Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,842,691 times
My sister and I are wanting to spend a night or two in Savannah, were both seniors living in Roswell ga so will be driving to Savannah , any recomandations for a safe place to stay, wed like to stay downtiwn where we can be advised of tours as we haven't planned any..seems too many to chose from, but I'd like to book someplace before we leave It'll be mid May . Love to hear some advice, thanks ahead.

Unless anyone knows of a tour bus we can take instead of driving , I've looked on line , it's confusing .

Last edited by Supplies; 04-03-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,650,012 times
You cannot go wrong with staying downtown on Bay Street ie: Hilton or maybe they call it a Hilton express?
They take your car and its very safe. Hotel lobby will without a doubt guide you in what tours you might like to do.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,820,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
My sister and I are wanting to spend a night or two in Savannah, were both seniors living in Roswell ga so will be driving to Savannah , any recomandations for a safe place to stay, wed like to stay downtiwn where we can be advised of tours as we haven't planned any..seems too many to chose from, but I'd like to book someplace before we leave It'll be mid May . Love to hear some advice, thanks ahead.

Unless anyone knows of a tour bus we can take instead of driving , I've looked on line , it's confusing .
It's not a bad drive from ATL. Leave Roswell after the morning rush hour and you'll be in Savannah by mid-afternoon. You don't say what kind of budget you're on, but I'd recommend checking with the Inn at Ellis Square, the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn Express Bay Street for good rates. Those are just three of many, many hotels downtown and at least a good place to start. YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS BEFORE YOU COME! Spring is the busiest time of year in Savannah, and hotels downtown are typically booked solid even during the middle of the week.

Also, all the hotels have concierge / tour guides stationed in their lobbies to help you figure out where to go and what to do. There are also dozens of tour operators and ticket brokers working out of booths on street corners throughout the Historic District, that sell package deals on tours, museums, carriage rides, restaurant discounts and the like.

Go to the official Savannah tourist website to get a good handle on all the city has to offer:

Savannah GA Hotels | Savannah Visitor Information

Safe travels and have fund! Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area