Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I wasn't asking about restaurant prices.
That's good, because the restaurant you're going to is probably the most expensive in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
The walk is completely doable. You can walk down Drayton, Abercorn, or Bull. If it gets late and you're feeling too full or tired from your meal, you can call a cab from there. You shouldn't rush your dinner just to get back.

Elizabeth's is a nice experience. Have a great time.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM

10 posts, read 22,029 times
We live a few blocks south of Elizabeth's in Ardsley Park and my husband runs to the river and back on the weekends. He initially experimented with different routes but has settled on taking Bull Street as the others have suggested. He finds it the most scenic street and also the safest as it is well-trafficked by both pedestrians and cars. My husband has run early in the morning and felt safe, not sure how it would be later at night. It is a lovely walk, enjoy!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
I wasn't asking about restaurant prices.
I know. Lighten up. A joke my friend. Enjoy yer meal.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
I have lived in Savannah for a long time, and I work in an area not far from where you'll be walking after dark. I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I will say that I wouldn't. Don't let Savannah's diminutive size vis-a-vis Chicago fool you. You're traversing a neighborhood that is one of the sketchiest in the city, particularly between 37th and the Anderson/Henry corridor. Just a few blocks to the west is what police officers have described to me as "the worst part of town." Namely, 31st/32nd Streets, where they meet Barnard, Jefferson, Montgomery and MLK Jr. Every night, police lights down there.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
I have lived in Savannah for a long time, and I work in an area not far from where you'll be walking after dark. I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I will say that I wouldn't. Don't let Savannah's diminutive size vis-a-vis Chicago fool you. You're traversing a neighborhood that is one of the sketchiest in the city, particularly between 37th and the Anderson/Henry corridor. Just a few blocks to the west is what police officers have described to me as "the worst part of town." Namely, 31st/32nd Streets, where they meet Barnard, Jefferson, Montgomery and MLK Jr. Every night, police lights down there.
I don't know if it's gotten worse in the few years that I haven't been there or not, but the bad area you're talking about is further down MLK towards 41st and points south.

I used to live in the vicinity you are talking about and it wasn't how you described.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of that information. I was worried about the area south of the park. I read it was a questionable neighborhoods in places. But not sure what they meant by "questionable".
what areas are supposed to be dangerous there? I would hope we can walk 90% of this city at night and I think here you probably can... (Just moved here and I have a couple times no problems yet) All the historic, most southside and midtown should be safe I think? Just not Hitch Village or MLK and points west.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
You need to get out and look around more. There are a lot of neighborhoods other than the tiny historic district. The entire area is more than 90sq.miles. Let us know when you walk 90

The Historic District is about 2 1/2 square miles. The entire City is over 90sq. miles. Let us know when you get finished with your 90% walk.

There are quite a few bad areas in the southside an midtown. Make sure you know the are well before you start exploring.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
I think it's safe to walk around New Hampstead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area