Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 21,177 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My girlfriend and i are looking to either move to Southwest Florida or the Savannah area. We live in Pa now and have been to both areas. I work as a Pool Technician and up here in Pa its a seasonal job only 7 months out of the year. She is a teacher and nanny. I was wondering what the pool season is down in GA and how hard is it finding pool jobs? I know i would have better opportunities in FL but is the weather and job market a lot different in the Savannah area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I am thinking that it would be a seasonal job in Savannah too. We really don't have many pools.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I am thinking that it would be a seasonal job in Savannah too. We really don't have many pools.
WHAT?! Lots of people have private pools. All the hotels and motels have pools. All the apartment / condo complexes and many of the subdivisions have pools.

Though winter in Savannah isn't necessary warm enough to swim, it doesn't get so cold as to demand that pools be covered. Most people here keep their pools open and treated year-round, just because it's easier.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
It's hard to find exact data on the number of swimming pools in Savannah vs the number of pools in SW Florida but if you compare the number of companies in the yellow pages that provide pool supplies or services in Savannah and Naples, FL, you get 83 hits for Savannah and 242 for Naples.

Plus, Naples has more or less year round swimming and Savannah's season is roughly late April through late September.

Swimming Pool Companies in Savannah, Georgia with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Swimming Pool Companies in Naples, Florida with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Why don't you pursue a job in both places, and then let the available opportunities make the decision for you?
I have never seen a pool company truck driving around Savannah, nor have I spoken to anyone who has a pool service here, although there must be some. This could mean either that there is a huge opportunity for expansion, or that opportunities are few.
There are surely more operating pool service companies in Naples.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 21,177 times
Thank you everyone for getting back to me. That's good to know there is more pools than I thought. The current company I work for in PA does all commercial pools and our work trucks just look like a standard pick up with no marketing on the sides. Might be the same down there with private companies. I'm just trying get as much info on both areas now because I would like to make the move after the pool season here. (Early October). I've been looking on craigslist a good amount and under pool jobs I see about 10 different listings a day in southwest Florida and about 2-4 a week in savannah. Problem with Craigslist is many of those listings can be fake. What is the average winter like in savannah? I know this year was very off and much colder. Up here our avager snow is 7-10 inches and we had 60+ yes I hate it!!!. My overall dream would be to work for a pool company for a year or two down south then start my own business. Also what are some good areas closure to the beach with lower rent within $500-1000?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I have a friend that has a pool business here on SSI and teaches school on the mainland the rest of the year (we're one hour south of Savannah, BTW).
He would tell you that doing such a thing full time is tough. Having lived in south Florida, I can tell you that such a profession there is a much easier go. Pools are almost mandatory down there.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

One of the big problems with pools in the Savannah area is the leaf fall. Leaves, tons of leaves, make having an outdoor pool in most areas hard to maintain.

The beach area here, Tybee Island, is small. Rents for nearby areas would run much more than $500 per month.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Plus, Naples has more or less year round swimming and Savannah's season is roughly late April through late September.
Heck, I'd say even well into October it can still be warm enough for swimming in Savannah.

As for the leaves, yeah, the oaks tend to drop their leaves in the spring compared to other seasonal places further north. That doesn't stop people from swimming though.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM

I wasn't thinking of just the Live Oaks. There are many more, especially Pines. But right now, the outdoor pools will be having a problems with Pollen. That yellow stuff makes a mess even in pools without water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area