Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

120 posts, read 168,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
I wish we could create a new I-16 exit(hwy 301). put the new exit closer to Ogeechee Tech and East Georgia State.
What? Are you saying move I-16????

There's nothing wrong with the 301 exit. It's four-lane, recently repaved and takes less than 10 minutes to get from 16 to OTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,791,771 times
I've noticed a big new water tower going up at 301 and I-16. That's a good first step in getting development out that way.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've noticed a big new water tower going up at 301 and I-16. That's a good first step in getting development out that way.
That's the new industrial park being developed by the county. The city has been working on running water out to the site for the last few months. They're hoping to have a mix of industrial and hotels/restaurants.

One thing I'd like to see is the county and Georgia Southern to come together and build a new arena. Hanner is very old and the county is still planning for an arena off of Langston Chapel. Statesboro doesn't need two, so they could come together and build a very nice one on campus, next to the stadium. It could help boost tourism if planned right.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM

808 posts, read 1,009,846 times
@Stboro: I wasnt proposing taking away I-16, i was saying put an exit more closer to otc and egsc so it'll be closer.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stboro View Post
That's the new industrial park being developed by the county. The city has been working on running water out to the site for the last few months. They're hoping to have a mix of industrial and hotels/restaurants.

One thing I'd like to see is the county and Georgia Southern to come together and build a new arena. Hanner is very old and the county is still planning for an arena off of Langston Chapel. Statesboro doesn't need two, so they could come together and build a very nice one on campus, next to the stadium. It could help boost tourism if planned right.
I've never understood why there wasn't a few more gas stations and some fast food places at the exit already. Was it the lack of water and sewer? Seems like the city / county should have done that eons ago. Stupid.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
@Stboro: I wasnt proposing taking away I-16, i was saying put an exit more closer to otc and egsc so it'll be closer.
How are you going to put an exit closer though without moving the interstate?

A spur route? That would cost hundreds of millions; it'd be cheaper just to turn part of 301 into a limited-access highway, of which it doesn't have the traffic to justify such a need (and cost) at the moment.

Last edited by Stboro; 04-21-2014 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I've never understood why there wasn't a few more gas stations and some fast food places at the exit already. Was it the lack of water and sewer? Seems like the city / county should have done that eons ago. Stupid.
Pretty much. There was a Flying J store planned a couple of years ago, but I think they went into bankruptcy and the plan was abandoned.

It'll be interesting to see how what develops with the already established Metter exit up the road. 16 is hardly a 75 or 95 in terms of traffic. But there's only one gas station at the interchange at the moment.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM

808 posts, read 1,009,846 times
I totally SECOND that Newsboy!!! @ stboro: I thought that was an Ag Arena that is to be built by the county?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stboro View Post
Pretty much. There was a Flying J store planned a couple of years ago, but I think they went into bankruptcy and the plan was abandoned.

It'll be interesting to see how what develops with the already established Metter exit up the road. 16 is hardly a 75 or 95 in terms of traffic. But there's only one gas station at the interchange at the moment.
... and it's a s***** gas station ... NASTY!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I totally SECOND that Newsboy!!! @ stboro: I thought that was an Ag Arena that is to be built by the county?
It is, but they could still make the arena multipurpose.

But both are years from being discussed further.

Quote:
... and it's a s***** gas station ... NASTY!
Yup. And when you have no other competition, you don't have to have the nicest property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: