Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 PM

808 posts, read 1,016,047 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM

474 posts, read 588,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
Thoughts?
I doubt it. It won't have traditional anchors and the stores are outlet variety. There isn't much left at Savannah Mall that would jump ship, except Dillard's. According to a SMN recently Dillard's is committed to Savannah Mall though.

Savannah Mall seeks new identity as entertainment niche | savannahnow.com

Oglethorpe Mall will continue to attract Savannahian's that don't want to drive out to Pooler. However, the outlet mall may grab the out-of-towners.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
However, the outlet mall may grab the out-of-towners.
I don't know much about malls as that's just not my thing but I have an opinion on "outlet malls'. I think in order for an outlet mall to be successful, especially with out-of-towners, it must have a aged reputation. In other words that rep is received over the years thru advertising and word of mouth that makes it a destination that one to go to if there are genuine bargains to be had for the price of gas to get there.

That takes time to build...I guess?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 PM

35 posts, read 33,325 times
For those of us who shop online:

Who cares.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastech View Post
For those of us who shop online:

Who cares.
Well, some of us actually prefer to purchase things IN PERSON, that we can hold and try on and see how they fit before we buy them. Also, there's something to be said about socializing and interacting with other people in a mall (or other shopping) environment. I feel sorry for people who sit home all day in front of their computers and never experience the joy of human interaction.

To the OP: I think the initial opening of the Pooler outlets will have some effect on BOTH Savannah malls, but not for the long term. For one thing, this center will have a unique collection of shops that the other malls don't have, and it's far enough away from them not draw neighborhood traffic away. Also, this is an UPSCALE OUTLET MALL ... it will not have the mainline department stores and other chains that Oglethorpe and Savannah malls have.

If the planned West Chatham Commons lifestyle center (at I-16 and Pooler Parkway) ever becomes reality, that might have a bigger effect on the other two malls.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
It will probably affect some percentage of overall sales at the other two malls because people who shop, who also have a budget, will spend some of their money on their first couple of visits to check everything out.

But from my perspective, shopping is a perhaps a twice yearly ordeal and driving to Pooler is no pleasure. I might stop in if I'm out near the airport for some reason, but not till the traffic does down in a couple of years.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I had a milestone on Wednesday. I did a bunch of shopping errands and did not have to leave Pooler at all. If I can possibly avoid going all the way down Abercorn to shop, I will.
I imagine that you Savannah folks feel the same way. There will be a little crossover, if you need something specific, but I think most people will go to whatever is closer to them.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM

120 posts, read 168,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
According to a SMN recently Dillard's is committed to Savannah Mall though.
The last couple of times I've been into Dillard's, there were only a handful workers and even fewer customers. Add in the fact that it's so old on the inside, I don't know how they're still up and running.

But I guess they have their demographic who spends enough money there.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
It's been a couple of years since I have been in Dillard's, but I liked it a lot. Great clearance racks! What I remember most, though, is the stained, dull carpeting in the men's department.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It's been a couple of years since I have been in Dillard's, but I liked it a lot. Great clearance racks! What I remember most, though, is the stained, dull carpeting in the men's department.
I'm pretty sure it's been updated (at least cosmetically) since then. I used to know the guy that was in charge of visuals there and I remember him talking about doing lots of painting and cleaning and new signage and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: