Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times

Advertisements

Bill Cathcart's replacement is a guy named Scott Dempsey, and he's already making changes at the station.

"It's the responsibility of a news organization to provoke thought and discussion in the community ... "
Attached Thumbnails
Bill Cathcart retires from WTOC-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM

37 posts, read 50,961 times
Ellie,

I think it's far from a "split down the middle". You'd be surprised. You and I definitely don't share much common ground.

perryrip

Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Bill Cathcart's replacement is a guy named Scott Dempsey, and he's already making changes at the station.

"It's the responsibility of a news organization to provoke thought and discussion in the community ... "
I've been saying this a lot lately, but time will tell.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 AM

779 posts, read 972,535 times
Newsboy; I watched WSAV news Monday at 10PM and I was impressed. I am going to tune them in more often.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 AM

252 posts, read 348,893 times
I laugh at some of these comments here. Stop judging people by their political views. People have the right to be liberals and they have the right to be conservatives and it's nobody else's business which one you choose to be. That's what is known as "tolerance", kids.

From what I gather from others who have worked with him, Cathcart was a bit of a character. He also has a PhD from Ohio State. Now, here's Bill Cathcart in drag in the 1960's with Jerry Rasor on Dance Party on WLWC (now WCMH) in Columbus.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

One of the comments to the picture I found funny:

I checked with Bill before posting. Here is the classic Cathcart response. "No problem, Bruce. My career has eroded like a leper’s foot anyway, so no harm can come from it!! Although those photos may lead me back to wearing dresses again. I look better in that get-up than I ever have in a business suit. Might as well go the dress and accessories route. I’m already a confirmed lesbian…..I love women!"

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
I laugh at some of these comments here. Stop judging people by their political views. People have the right to be liberals and they have the right to be conservatives and it's nobody else's business which one you choose to be. That's what is known as "tolerance", kids.

From what I gather from others who have worked with him, Cathcart was a bit of a character. He also has a PhD from Ohio State. Now, here's Bill Cathcart in drag in the 1960's with Jerry Rasor on Dance Party on WLWC (now WCMH) in Columbus.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

One of the comments to the picture I found funny:

I checked with Bill before posting. Here is the classic Cathcart response. "No problem, Bruce. My career has eroded like a leper’s foot anyway, so no harm can come from it!! Although those photos may lead me back to wearing dresses again. I look better in that get-up than I ever have in a business suit. Might as well go the dress and accessories route. I’m already a confirmed lesbian…..I love women!"
Well said, Bruce!

Bonus points for the photo of Bill.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
There is simply no way an educated, professional, urban person from another city could move to Savannah and watch the nonsense that Sonny Dixon puts on the air. The guy is a hayseed and he's embarrassing as hell to watch.
I'm an educated, professional, urban person as is Bill Cathcart. I don't mind Sonny Dixon. In fact, I prefer someone who shows some kind of personality flair over the blow-dried boring stiffs you find at most news anchor desks.

TV was far more interesting through the 1970's because it wasn't as corporate. You had a lot of mom and pops in the business back in those days. TV News was also considered theatrical back then, lots of actors and people who went on to acting were news anchors back in the 1950's and 1960's.

TV nowadays is as boring as walking into a Sears store because there is so much sameness these days.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
I'm an educated, professional, urban person as is Bill Cathcart. I don't mind Sonny Dixon. In fact, I prefer someone who shows some kind of personality flair over the blow-dried boring stiffs you find at most news anchor desks.

TV was far more interesting through the 1970's because it wasn't as corporate. You had a lot of mom and pops in the business back in those days. TV News was also considered theatrical back then, lots of actors and people who went on to acting were news anchors back in the 1950's and 1960's.

TV nowadays is as boring as walking into a Sears store because there is so much sameness these days.
You realize what you are admitting? "TV News was considered theatrical ... Lots of actors and people who went on to acting were anchors ..." Those people weren't journalists, they were ENTERTAINERS. That's how you preferred getting your news?

But thanks for proving my point: Sonny Dixon is NOT a journalist. He's politician turned "personality" putting on a show for all the good folks out there in TV land, while the REAL journalist reporters at WTOC stand out in the field pretending not to hate him as much as they do (and they do).

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-23-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
WSAV recently won the Murrow Award for best news operation in the city for the 5th or 6th year in a row.
I only have one thing to say about WSAV and the rest of the Media General stations: boring.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM

974 posts, read 1,148,450 times
The mission of a news department isn't supposed to be excitement. It's supposed to be about journalism. I know that's not what you want, but it's true. If your mission in life is purely about ratings, you're willing to sacrifice professional values for entertainment.

Perhaps that's why news stations have taken different tacks - their missions are different. Newsboy favors journalism, and you favor entertainment. I don't think there's much room for a meeting of the minds here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area