Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 16,667 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 20yr old male from Phoenix, AZ (born and raised) looking to move to Savannah sometime this year, perhaps in the fall.
This is mainly because I want a change of pace in my life, but I've also always been fascinated with the South - and Savannah seems rich in culture. Call me a bit of a dreamer.

I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forums about Savannah - I'm a pretty easy going guy, it takes a lot to get under my skin and the nuances I have seen here about the city seem to vary from person to person, so I think I'll enjoy myself overall

My biggest question now is where should I find suitable housing for myself. First and foremost, a 1-bed, 1-bath apartment is for me. I've looked around on the internet, mainly googling 'savannah ga apartments' but I really haven't found much. Either the reviews are very poor, or the dang place is in Garden City or something.

I figured it was time to ask the locals. Where can I find a nice apartment that's in Savannah? It doesn't have to be luxurious, by any stretch of the imagination, but comfy would be a big plus.
Would love if you could also share experiences on the apartments you've rented in the past, both good and bad -- or even if you're just in the area and you know the facility is nice and well run.
In regards to finances, I'll have about ~$8,000 by the end of the summer saved up.

Would love some help in finding a place to live,

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Savannah, the city, is over 90 square miles in area.

Savannah, the Historic District, is only about 2 miles in any direction.

I suggest that you learn more about the ENTIRE city as your $8000 isn't going to go far. Have a job lined up before you come.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I suggest that you learn more about the ENTIRE city as your $8000 isn't going to go far. Have a job lined up before you come.
What would you imagine the cost of living is? That's what I was looking for, but couldn't find a whole lot on, entire monthly expenses, etc.

Still have quite a few months before taking the plunge, I'll find work.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 PM

974 posts, read 1,149,191 times
C'mon. He's 20 years old. That kind of dough should let him live pretty well for a while for such a young, untethered person. He didn't say he was planning on just lazing around, and I'm sure he'll figure out a job before long. Just be smart, Solar, about your savings, and don't live beyond your means, which it doesn't sound like you're apt to do, having saved up a good chunk of change to get started.

If I were you, I'd check out the Georgetown area. There are several apartment complexes out that way that tend to attract young professional types with active lifestyles. It's a pretty quick drive to downtown, and you're also near good shopping and restaurants on the south side. The cost of living out that way is bound to be cheaper than much of anything more directly in town.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
If I were you, I'd check out the Georgetown area. There are several apartment complexes out that way that tend to attract young professional types with active lifestyles. It's a pretty quick drive to downtown, and you're also near good shopping and restaurants on the south side. The cost of living out that way is bound to be cheaper than much of anything more directly in town.
Thank you! I'm checking out some complexes there now and they seem reasonable priced. $800/mo for a 1bed/1bath, almost 900sq ft!
georgetowncrossing.net
I'll be doing some more shopping of course, and there is still much to consider in the meantime.

I currently work as a lifeguard (5yrs now) for the City of Phoenix pools - I work 40hrs a week at 11.35/hr, so that's plenty to live on if I were to apply this situation here in Phoenix -- but what kind of pay would I be looking at here in Savannah? Would jobs similar to this (swim coach, etc.) be enough to afford rent and basic amenities? I of course have my little nest egg, but I'd like to always be 'in the black', instead of living from paycheck to paycheck, if possible.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 AM

Honestly, I can't say what opportunities exist for swim-centric jobs. The county has a pretty nice aquatic center, so check that out: Chatham County Aquatic Center: Home

The City of Tybee Island (not close to Georgetown - you'd be better off on Wilmington or Whitemarsh Island) has some lifeguards on payroll. City of Tybee Island - Ocean Rescue

Armstrong Atlantic State University (very close to Georgetown) has a good pool: Pool Hours - Recreation and Wellness Armstrong Atlantic University Georgia

Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Silly question but, do you have a car?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:56 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I would NEVER recommend living out in Georgetown unless someone gave you a free place to live. Hwy. 204 (Abercorn St) has one of the worst afternoon traffic bottlenecks in the whole city. Plus it's 10+ miles to the Aquatic Center and almost an hour's drive to the beach even with the new bridge on the Truman Pkway.

That combined with the start of a highway widening/flyover project right there at the intersection of King George Blvd., life out that way for the average commuter, i.e., average person trying to get to and from work, will be hellish.

No wonder rents out that way are so low!

Kid, rent an efficiency or studio downtown or midtown and experience real Savannah. Look in the SCAD District website for student rentals. You're the right age. Have fun. You'll have some memorable experiences here.

Edit: If you get a job at the beach, rent a place on Wilmington Island.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM

To each their own. As much as I enjoy the Historic District, personally I wouldn't want to live downtown. It's expensive if you're in a good part, since the amenities available for the same kind of money are just not going to compare all that favorably. And, I like some space - a place to park, some peace and quiet, and stretching my dollar - maybe even a swimming pool or my own yard!

He's got some limited funds and not a lot of job prospects right off the bat. He can manage a nice place a little bit out of town, and drive on down or catch a cab to experience the tourist stuff whenever. The traffic in Georgetown is nothing compared to Phoenix.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
I agree with Ellie. Georgetown is one of the worst places to live in the Savannah area. The traffic on Abercorn/204 is 9.5 on any 10-point commuters' misery index (and it won't get better now that Abercorn is connected with Truman Parkway). And the Georgetown environment! To me, G'town is depressing, isolated, and miserable. I do loathe the place. Yes, there are affordable apartments there, but if you are young and single (or not), you should definitely move elsewhere once you know your way around Savannah. And believe me, you will want to move.

Too bad that the Savannah Historic District and midtown are expensive. There, you really need 2 or 3 roommates or a very well-paid job. And so we come to the main problem with Savannah: the job market. If you don't want to load cargo at the Port of Savannah or are not a trained nurse, the job market is lacking. Other than the biting sand gnats and palmetto bugs, employment is the number-one complaint people have about Savannah. If you come without a job lined up, be willing to do almost anything. A good job in Savannah is not easy to find, whatever your educational level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area