Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 25,567 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband's new job will be in Rincon. I've read lots of posts and it seems like a nice place, but at the same time I'm torn because I love the idea of living a bit closer to the ocean.

Can anyone help suggest a town that would be a compromise being 30 min or less to the beach/work?

We have 5 children. 19, 18, 16, 13, and 9. The two eldest are in college (Florida and SCAD).
We have been to Savannah a few times as tourists and loved it.

I appreciate any feedback! Love this forum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,950,420 times
To save you the extra hassle of gas, maintenance and traffic, I would first and foremost suggest living in Rincon where the employment is. The beach is 45 minutes to an hour away, but you obviously won't be beaching it 7 days / 12 months out of the year. Also, Effingham schools are known to be better than Chatham (though I attended Chatham public schools and I ended up fine).

If not, I still say staying on the west side makes sense. Port Wentworth or Pooler are worth looking in to.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Thank you WanderingImport. I've been checking out Rincon and Pooler. Appreciate your input!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM

974 posts, read 1,145,308 times
Pooler is probably the best bet. Savannah is closer to the beach, but cost of living is higher, generally, and the commute is that much further to Rincon. At least the commute will be going pretty much against the heavy traffic.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks CoastalGuy

Someone did mention to me about flooding concerns in Pooler. I too thought that Pooler may be the happy medium for us. Can you give me your input?
Much appreciated!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM

974 posts, read 1,145,308 times
I don't think Pooler floods any more seriously than Savannah proper. We're a coastal community, with many areas just a dozen or so feet above sea level. When it rains hard (and it often does rain hard around here), and the tide is high, rainwater tends to not drain away all that quickly. It has been the subject of much consideration over the years, but fixes are expensive and slow to happen.

Basically, though, and unless there's a hurricane, flooding is flash in nature, and not long-lasting.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,859,569 times
Have you thought about South Carolina? I was going to suggest you look at Beaufort County, the Bluffton area specifically. Depending on where your husband's job is, the commute from Bluffton to Effingham County via I-95 is only about 30 minutes, give or take. And from Bluffton, you're only about 15-20 minutes to the nearest beaches on Hilton Head Island ... which are nicer than those at Tybee. Even if you end up in South Effingham or Pooler, you can probably get to the HHI beaches just as easily as Tybee.

HOWEVER ... the schools in Beaufort County aren't nearly as good as those in Effingham County. AND living in Georgia, your kids will qualify for the HOPE Scholarship! That's a big factor IMO.

Also, I've never heard of any flooding issues in Pooler. According to this map, it would take a Category 5 hurricane to flood West Chatham.

http://www.thempc.org/documents/Tran...urge%20Map.jpg

Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,144,843 times
Flooding is really just great big rain puddles that drain quickly. EXCEPT those areas near to very low swampy areas.

You need to look around Rincon first. One thing you really want to avoid, is having to commute through the Savannah downtown traffic.

There's very little beachfront property. Waterfront property usually means Marsh front with all the problems with mud and docks.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 88,513 times
Use the Address Look-up form to get a Flood Risk Snapshot and a list of the effective and preliminary FIRM and FIS documents for your location.
flood risk information includes:
The NFIP regulatory Flood Zone Designation
Areas of change for revised flood maps, Changes Since Last Firm
Probability of Flooding over a typical 30 year mortgage period.

Find the Flood Risk for Your Property

Look at the specific schools in both Fingham and Chatham Both have "good for Georgia", and less than desirable.
ARTS and STEM schools Garrison, Savannah Arts Academy, The STEM Academy. H. V. Jenkins School of Engineering. These are the best public schools in the area and among the best public schools in the state and they are not restricted as to attendance zones.
Chatham schools

Effingham County School District

Beaufort County School District

Savannah Area Geographic Information System

Property Tax Rates for Overlapping Governments

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks everyone! The feedback is great.

Regarding Beaufort, SC I actually was just talking to my husband this evening about that. I have heard it is a nice area, but hadn't researched the schools yet. I'll def look into that.

I do have a daughter starting at SCAD in the fall. I will also check out the HOPE scholarship info...thanks!

I'll take all of this into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area