U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

Family of two
28-31
Looking to buy
Budget 210-ish

We are possibly relocating from Knoxville, Tennessee to the Savannah area. My husband’s office will be in Richmond Hill, but he’ll be traveling 75% of the time from Beaufort to Augusta and across Savannah. So, anywhere in the area is an option. We love Knoxville, the city, but we currently live in an ugly suburb. No culture, no charm, poor schools, horrible commute, no public transit, no sidewalks. It’s at least half an hour’s drive to any shopping or dining. I hate it, and I don’t want to make the same mistake if we relocate to this area.

Currently, we have no children, but that will most likely change within the next two to three years. So, schools are important, but I’m open to Montessori and private schools. My dream neighborhood would be within walking/biking distance of schools, libraries, grocery stores and/or parks. Because of that, I looked into the Main street community in Richmond Hill. But, my husband and I are liberal and non-religious. I’m certainly used to living in the Bible belt, but I’m worried that Richmond Hill might be too conservative and too far removed from the excitement of Savannah.

We have a large dog and love to hike and kayak, but we’re also into the bar scene, book clubs and local food. So, on one hand Richmond Hill has it all and would (on the surface) be a dream for kids while still being close enough to Savannah to visit on the weekends or for a night out. But, I’m worried that I’ll be stuck in a sterile, cookie cutter suburb with no culture or charm.

We’ve spent some time in Savannah, but I’ve never been to Richmond Hill. So, I’m going on Google and you fine people. Thanks in advance for comments.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,029,526 times
Have you looked at the relocation thread at the top of the Savannah forum? It might help answer a few questions.

Otherwise, to directly answer your liberal/conservative area question, no, Richmond Hill (and most if not all Savannah suburbs) are not liberal. The central area of the city is liberal.

Honestly, even though most areas of Chatham County (county where Savannah is) are very car-centric, you will still find people on bicycles, especially within a few miles of downtown. It is hit or miss though on pedestrian-friendly areas. New areas in west Chatham are the least bicycle/pedestrian friendly.

If I were you, I would look for residence in town. A few other regulars would probably suggest the same thing.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 AM

10,682 posts, read 22,148,780 times
Richmond Hill is more or less a bland suburb of Savannah and is not walkable or politically liberal.

However, working there won't be as bad as living there, since it would be a reverse commute if you choose to live in Savannah. He won't be afflicted with the terrible traffic jams out that way since he'll be going away from the city when everyone else does the opposite. It's still a 20-30 min drive from the middle of town, which is probably where you will want to live.

Check into the neighborhoods in the numbered streets, like Ardsley Park, between Bull St. and Abercorn, as well as Parkside, Kensington, Habersham Woods, Fairway Oaks, or even Magnolia Park if you're looking for an established neighborhood with character.

For you, the closer you are to Derenne Ave. the easier it will be for him to get in and out of town if he's going to his office.

Last edited by ellie; 08-21-2014 at 05:02 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM

905 posts, read 923,336 times
One slight correction to Ellie's post... Ardsley (and other nearby wards) actually cover quite a bit more ground than just the one block between Abercorn and Bull. Think Waters and Bull, instead, from Victory Drive on the north end, south to about 65th St.

The 37th Street connector gets him to westbound I-16 at least as fast as DeRenne will, particularly if you choose a home closer to Victory than to DeRenne.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM

685 posts, read 1,129,108 times
Outside of the Marshes, back riverways, and small public hunting/shooting areas, Richmond Hill would probably bore you. I think most young people (high school through college) would find it very stagnating place to live.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM

10,682 posts, read 22,148,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
One slight correction to Ellie's post... Ardsley (and other nearby wards) actually cover quite a bit more ground than just the one block between Abercorn and Bull. Think Waters and Bull, instead, from Victory Drive on the north end, south to about 65th St.

The 37th Street connector gets him to westbound I-16 at least as fast as DeRenne will, particularly if you choose a home closer to Victory than to DeRenne.
Yeah, thanks for that correction. I meant to say Waters Ave. Much appreciated.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 AM

42,877 posts, read 53,369,908 times
I agree with everyone. I love Richmond Hill, and think its a great family community, but at your stage of life, downtown is a better option. You and you husband would enjoy being near all the activities in the city. Maybe in 10 years, when you need a big yard for the kids, look at Richmond Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area